News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is it possible to put a bigger sway bar on a 70 Charger???

Started by Blakcharger440, February 06, 2006, 08:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

I am wanting to put a 1 1/8 inch sway bar on the front of my 70 Charger RT. The 70 K-frame has a skid plate in which the sway bar passes through. Has anyone ever put a big sway bar on the front of a 70 Charger?
Can it be done and if so,How did you do it?

Charger_Fan

There's some aftermarket company out there, I think "Just Suspension" maybe? But I haven't tried it, or know of anyone who has.

One thing you might try is to use polyurethane bushings on your existing sway bar, that will help make maximum usage of the one you have.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Chryco Psycho

the K frame has enough room to accomodate the slightly larger bar

Blakcharger440

Really? Seemed real tight on the bends with just getting the stock sway bar in there.
I guess I could go ahead and buy the bigger 1 1/8 front bar and see if I can get it through there.  :-\

Mopar2Ya

I recently put a heavier one on the front of my '70 RT. The heavy one addecco makes will fit, except I needed longer links not sure why. The one thing I don't like about the addecco bar is the way it mounts they send plain pieces of steel as shims for you to  adjust the height passing through the kframe, their has to be a better/more rigid way to fasten the bar. I've got a Helwig bar for the back(addeccos wasn't as heavy), but I haven't opened it yet to look at it. :Twocents:

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

Blakcharger440

Hey Mopar2ya, How big of front sway bar did you get? Would you recommend buying the Addco front bar? It doesnt sound like it from the statement you made about the end links,shims and questionable mounting.

BLAM

If you are using radial tires yes you should go with larger torsion and sway bars.  The torsion bars should be roughly one step larger that the original ones in the car if you haven't changed anything else!  The sway bar should be chosen so that it has a similar spring rate as compared to the torsion bars.
RLTW - "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

Mopar2Ya

This is the addco front bar. The way it mounts is a little cheesy, they use layers of steel flat to shim to the right height. It's 1 1/8" , the FirmFeel front bar appears to have a nicer mount, I wish I knew about the at one first, but I'm unsure of the FF diameter. There is a topic about rear sway bars here where a guys what appears to be addco rear bar broke both of its frame mounts. I have a hellwig 1" for the rear that I'm currently installing, but it requires drilling of the frame. Does any one know if the other companies require drilling of the frame? What are your opinions on drilling the frame for this application?

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

Dodge Don

I upgraded to 0.96 torsion bars from the stock 0.92 and upgraded to 1" front sway bar.

Kern Dog

Quote from: Mopar2Ya on February 19, 2006, 01:05:29 AM
This is the addco front bar. The way it mounts is a little cheesy, they use layers of steel flat to shim to the right height. It's 1 1/8" , the FirmFeel front bar appears to have a nicer mount, I wish I knew about the at one first, but I'm unsure of the FF diameter. There is a topic about rear sway bars here where a guys what appears to be addco rear bar broke both of its frame mounts. I have a hellwig 1" for the rear that I'm currently installing, but it requires drilling of the frame. Does any one know if the other companies require drilling of the frame? What are your opinions on drilling the frame for this application?

I had the Addco 1 1/8" front bar on my 70 Charger along with a 7/8" rear bar. The car tended to oversteer, so I removed the rear bar. At that point, it was neutral but had more body roll than I wanted.
I modified a GM truck front sway bar to fit my Charger...1 1/4" It fit in there no problem. I then put the 7/8 rear bar back in. Now it feels neutral and has very little body roll.
A 1 1/8" front bar with a 1" rear bar is very likely to oversteer. Too much bar at the rear. You'd either need to UPsize the front or decrease the rear to get a neutral balance.