News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear glass spacer confusion

Started by HeavyFuel, September 17, 2012, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

I'm baffled on this one......hopefully some folks can benefit from this besides just me.

This is for the rear glass.

OK...metal spacers gets screwed into the valley, same as the trim clips.  But I have the remains of what appears to be a white-ish rubber spacer that goes between the metal spacer and the glass.  Has anybody else seen this? :scratchchin:

I have another black rubber spacer, and the SM shows that there is a rubber spacer used, .25 x .40 x 1 inch, and its positioned 17'' from the centerline of the rear valley (one on each side).  Okay, that puts it pretty close to the metal spacer/white rubber piece.

The spacing thickness of the black rubber and white rubber/metal combo is about the same....... 1/4 inch.

I wish I had taken better notes /pics of these detail when I dissasembled .

Questions:   Both of these spacers must have been used on my car, or I would n't have them, but do I have 'em in the right places?  And I can't find replacements for the rubber, white or black.  R/t Specialties does have the metal spacer, but no white rubber. :shruggy:

bill440rt

Perhaps just a rubber cushion the glass rested on?  :shruggy:
You wouldn't need the metal spacers then if the rubber blocks were used. The rubber blocks in the glass kit are just probably a replacement for the metal ones.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Indygenerallee

I personally would ditch those original metal with plastic pieces and just go with the modern rubber/plastic blocks.  :Twocents:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

HeavyFuel

Okay.....I dug up a few old pics.....and answered a couple of questions.

The location of the black rubber block is correct as shown, but the metal spacer/white rubber was originally a couple holes more toward the center of the car.

I have to relocate one of my trim clips  to where the metal spacer/white rubber is shown (forth hole in to second hole in).

The pics shows where I cut the white spacer in half when the back glass came out, via saw wire.

Bill, what is this glass kit you referred to?   Maybe I will just skip the metal spacer and go with the rubber block.

Does everyone just use the rubber block now, or is it like: "Who knows?  The glass guy installed it and anything or nothing could be under there".

Ryan

When I purchased my butyl for my rear window it came with new rubber blocks.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

bill440rt

Quote from: Ryan on September 17, 2012, 06:46:15 PM
When I purchased my butyl for my rear window it came with new rubber blocks.

:yesnod:

When you purchase the roll of butyl tape, it should come with the rubber blocks/spacers. The original metal ones with the rubber pads WERE the spacers, the rubber blocks are just the replacements used in lieu of them. As long as the glass is spaced correctly you can use either or.

They were originally held in with butyl, however most glass installers will now use urethane.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

HeavyFuel

Hmmm.   So the cars shouldn't have had both the metal clip/white rubber spacer and the black rubber block?   But they were both under there on my car.    :scratchchin:

I'm thinking maybe my rear glass was taken out and re-installed then, and the blocks were added at that time.

Oh well......got extra trim clips for the rear...I'll just fill the screw holes with those and forget the metal spacer. :yesnod:

Lord Warlock

Where do you get the rubber blocks or spacers from? I'll be going through it myself soon. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

richRTSE

Quote from: Lord Warlock on October 03, 2012, 06:22:39 PM
Where do you get the rubber blocks or spacers from? I'll be going through it myself soon. 

QuoteWhen you purchase the roll of butyl tape, it should come with the rubber blocks/spacers.
:yesnod:

oldgold69

the new buytl ribbons will settle down lower in the window space when it gets hot in the sun  and the window may rub the pinchwelt and break   my sons chevelle it settled to the inside trim  next time i will  cut one of those rubber stop block  to kept it from settling   those butyl ribbons are metric  and not the full 3/8 they used to be so they sit lower to start with      those white rubbers kept them up off the pinchwelt  till the seal dried