News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What do I have going on here?

Started by Tilar, September 16, 2012, 02:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tilar

I put this top on maybe 2 years ago and it looked fine until a couple months ago. It doesn't wash out with soap and water either. Almost looks like the glue bleeding through.

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Ghoste

Wow, it looks like one of those sun bleached things that was sitting in a yard in Arizona for 15 years.

Fred

Have you tried a vinyl restorer Tilar. I'm pretty sure that will take care of the problem.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Tilar

I haven't tried anything on it yet other than regular soap and water, but I will give it a try.  I wasn't sure what to try short of a dye or something and I didnt think of a vinyl restorer..
Dave  

Indygenerallee

You need to put some sort of vinyl dressing on that.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Fred

Quote from: Tilar on September 16, 2012, 06:47:37 PM
I haven't tried anything on it yet other than regular soap and water, but I will give it a try.  I wasn't sure what to try short of a dye or something and I didnt think of a vinyl restorer..

I'm pretty sure you won't have to mess around with dyes, the vinyl restorer will do the trick.  :2thumbs:

Ghoste

charger Downunder

Lick it looks like salt. Maybe mould.
[/quote]

Ghoste

Cooter

Quote from: Indygenerallee on September 16, 2012, 07:19:00 PM
You need to put some sort of vinyl dressing on that.
:2thumbs: I was gonna say looks like Tony Stewart needs to come over with the ArmorAll.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Tilar

Quote from: charger Downunder on September 17, 2012, 06:57:32 AM
Lick it looks like salt. Maybe mould.

Salt? no. It's never been near salt since I've had it. It could be mold but I've never seen white mold.
Dave  

Ghoste

Is it chalky at all or just a discoloration?

HeavyFuel

Would a top that is only a couple years old need a rejuvenating product?  Somethings not right.

Tilar

Quote from: Ghoste on September 17, 2012, 04:30:59 PM
Is it chalky at all or just a discoloration?

Discoloration. I can wipe my hand over it and nothing comes off.
Dave  

74bluecharger440

Nothing showing up on the headliner???? Pull back and peek

Tilar

I cant imagine anything inside the headliner, the roof is pretty solid. When I got the car, I took the old top off, sanded down the roof and repainted it and then put the new top on. I used the 3M spray adhesive to glue it down. Granted it was my first one but I thought it turned out decent for a beginner.

I'm going to try to get by the parts store and get some of the vinyl restorer that Fred mentioned and see what that does. It would be easy if it works.
Dave  

Indygenerallee

Have you ever put any vinyl dressing on it???

Fred

Quote from: Tilar on September 17, 2012, 07:04:01 PM
I cant imagine anything inside the headliner, the roof is pretty solid. When I got the car, I took the old top off, sanded down the roof and repainted it and then put the new top on. I used the 3M spray adhesive to glue it down. Granted it was my first one but I thought it turned out decent for a beginner.

I'm going to try to get by the parts store and get some of the vinyl restorer that Fred mentioned and see what that does. It would be easy if it works.

Tilar I've been using 303 Aerospace Protectant  for years now. In my opinion it's the best. It will not only restore the vinyl but will also protect it from those dreaded UV rays that cause fading over time and any sun damage. Plus it's silicone free.
Check it out......  www.303products.com

bill440rt

Just curious as to what type of soap you are using? If you are washing it with a hose, are you rinsing it off thoroughly?
As a long shot, how "hard" is your water? Could it be calcium deposits? Could be a stretch, just exploring all possibilities.  :scratchchin:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Tilar

I just use whatever is down at the local car wash that comes through the scrub brush. We have pretty good water around here, not hard at all.
Dave  

charger Downunder

Quote from: Tilar on September 18, 2012, 04:19:23 AM
I just use whatever is down at the local car wash that comes through the scrub brush. We have pretty good water around here, not hard at all.

Well that explains it defiantly salt cheap detergent and i bet recycled water. Like i said give it a lick i bet its salty.
[/quote]

JB400

The only top I would lick would be on a good-lookin female. :drool5:

Ghoste

:lol:
Yeah, thats good licking right there.

If it were caused by car wash detergent, wouldn't you be able to feel it?

bill440rt

If you must wash it with a hose, next time try washing it at HOME by hand with a good brand car wash soap. Stay away from the cheap stuff.
You may want to try scrubbing that top first with some Meguiar's Vinyl Cleaner or similar vinyl cleaner product. Use a nice bristle cleaning brush. Then wash the car. Dry thoroughly, & apply a protectant designed for vinyl tops.

Indygenerallee

you use the scrub brush at your local car wash!!!  :o :o :o :o I have see people clean 4 wheelers after they went mudding at the carwash, That has to be the absolute worst way to clean your car, all that crap embedded in that scrub brush head and your engraining it into your finish. Hand wash it at home!  :Twocents:

JB400

There ain't noting wrong with washing your car at the car wash.  Yeah, I work at one part time.  When I wash the bays out, the brush gets it as well.  Feel free to take precautions and rinse it out yourself.   As far as car wash detergent causing that, I don't know, but anythings possible.

Tilar

No, he doesn't recycle his water and I always spray the brush down with the wand before I turn the brush on.  It's not salt because salt would come off with the brush.
Dave  

Indygenerallee

Those brushes at the car wash don't do your paint finish any favors!