News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440, what is it worth?

Started by rayderluvr, September 07, 2012, 03:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayderluvr

Found this motor on CL, any idea from the information below how much HP and what it may be worth if this is a fresh rebuild? The pictures show it on a stand, but I am not certain if it is freshly rebuilt or not...

I'm selling my professionally rebuilt 440 Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth engine. The block is dated 12-9-70 casting no. 253643010. The engine is built with a 1969 steel crank and is a balanced rotating assembly with TRW forged flat top .030 pistons. 10:1 compression ratio so this should be good for 93 octane pump gas. The block was decked, cleaned, magged and new cam bearings installed. The mains are align bored and it has a high volumn oil pump and windage tray. The cam is an Isky #165181 hydraulic mega cam .485 lift and .280 duration (2,500 - 6,500 rpm) Heads are 516 closed chamber milled, cooked, cleaned, with hardened seats, 3 angle valve job, new Crane springs, locks, etc. It has a 750 Demon mechanical secondary double pumper carb, Holley Street Dominator intake, new electronic distributor and 14" air cleaner.

Thanks!

Scaregrabber

It's got some good parts, I'm not crazy about the 516 heads and the HV oil pump isn't my first choice. Good intake, heavy but decent compression pistons, I don't know if that cam is good but it's probably okay. If the heads are stock (sounds like it) I would expect about 350HP. Bolt on some Edelbrock heads and expect 425HP.

Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Done right I have made serious power with the closed chamber 516 heads , you need to have 1.81 exhaust valves installed with hard seats .

Cooter

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 07, 2012, 09:30:45 PM
Done right I have made serious power with the closed chamber 516 heads , you need to have 1.81 exhaust valves installed with hard seats .

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:
old School power with iron heads.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bobs66440

It sounds good. But it really depends on how well the machine work was done. We all know that these engines can be really screwed up if not done right. And you won't know until you run it for a while. He said the block was decked. How Much? They are 10:1 flat top pistons but how much in the hole?? That will determine the true compression ratio. With closed chamber heads, the CR could be 11:1 or 12:1...who knows?

I recently got screwed on a "rebuilt" engine that I was sure was good. I ended up rebuilding it again myself. I'll never buy another unless it can be proven that a reputable shop did it and there are records... :Twocents:

rayderluvr

QuoteI recently got screwed on a "rebuilt" engine that I was sure was good. I ended up rebuilding it again myself. I'll never buy another unless it can be proven that a reputable shop did it and there are records...

That's what I fear most with buying an engine off of CL.

Cooter

As a rule of thumb...i NEVER buy an engine hoping it will run ok. All I'm buying is a core to rebuild. Only a fool would buy an engine thinking all he needs is to dump it in and fire it up with all the scammers/crooked bastids out there today.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bobs66440

Quote from: Cooter on September 09, 2012, 05:43:51 PM
Only a fool would buy an engine thinking all he needs is to dump it in and fire it up with all the scammers/crooked bastids out there today.
Well, I'm not generally known as a fool, but thanks for your opinion anyway  :2thumbs:  I trusted a person that I thought I could trust. We all get fooled now and then. I suppose some of us are exempt...

Cooter

Quote from: bobs66440 on September 09, 2012, 09:39:54 PM
Quote from: Cooter on September 09, 2012, 05:43:51 PM
Only a fool would buy an engine thinking all he needs is to dump it in and fire it up with all the scammers/crooked bastids out there today.
I trusted a person that I thought I could trust. We all get fooled now and then. ...

Hence my opinion.....Just saying. Only buy an engine as a core at best and you'll never be disappointed.

FLG

The only way id trust an assembled engine is if i put it together or a reputable builder did it and the guy has recipes to prove it.

rayderluvr

I guess if I could buy it for core price plus the value of the carb, intake, and distributor, I couldn't get hurt too bad....I doubt he would budge that much, but may be worth a try if he has problems selling it.

Any idea what it might be worth as a core plus the extras? (complete long block, 750 Demon mechanical secondary double pumper carb, Holley Street Dominator intake, new electronic distributor)

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: bobs66440 on September 08, 2012, 06:29:15 AM
It sounds good. But it really depends on how well the machine work was done. We all know that these engines can be really screwed up if not done right. And you won't know until you run it for a while. He said the block was decked. How Much? They are 10:1 flat top pistons but how much in the hole?? That will determine the true compression ratio. With closed chamber heads, the CR could be 11:1 or 12:1...who knows?

I recently got screwed on a "rebuilt" engine that I was sure was good. I ended up rebuilding it again myself. I'll never buy another unless it can be proven that a reputable shop did it and there are records... :Twocents:

thx for that info....I been looking at fully rebuilt on craigs ill just hold off now...