News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Air conditioning noise and vibration

Started by Paul G, September 16, 2012, 10:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

I can remember when these cars were new, the A/C coming on would drag down the engine, you could feel the power loss but not really cause a lot of strange noise and vibration.

Now up to today, my 72 will make a lot of unusual noise and vibrations, grunts and groans when I turn the steering wheel, but only when the A/C is running. It has a Sanden compressor with an r134 conversion system kit from Bouchillon. March serpentine pulley set with two serp belts.

When I had the 73 it also had a Sanden compressor, the system was converted to r134 with the rest stock. It too made a lot of strange noise and vibration, grunts and groans, only when the A/C was on. It was using the stock style two V belt pulley system with a Sanden compressor.

My compressor is bolted down tight. I dont know what would cause this noise and vibration, or if others eperience this? Is it the nature of a Sanden compressor to be noisy? The system works great, ice cold. Just noisy with vibration when it is on. Turn it off and back to normal, like it is not even there.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

elacruze

This is usually because of loose belts.

If you have a serpentine setup, use a torque wrench to measure the tensioner pulley. Take a measurement with the torque wrench 90* to the pivot/pulley axis. If I recall correctly, it should take no less than 35 lbs-ft to lift the pulley from the belt. You'd be amazed how many tensioners don't meet the spec even new out of the box.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.