News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to remove speedo cable from cluster?

Started by whitehatspecial, February 08, 2006, 02:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitehatspecial

I'm a green-horn at this so please bear with me. I'm trying to remove the cluster from my '68, to do some cleaning of the faces and repair (or replace) the headlight/vacuum switch. The dash is in mint condition. I did't want to make any dumb mistakes and stopped when I couldn't figure this out. I've removed all the phillips head screws and the cluster is loose from the dash but I can't see how to disconnect the speedometer cable from the back of the cluster. It feels like there's a plastic clip, but I'm not sure how it releases and don't want to break anything.
Any picture(s) would be appreciated.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

69chargeryeehaa

here's how i fixed the vacuum headlight switch:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,9472.0.html

as for the speedo cable, there is a plastic tab that you push in towards the center of the cable (on the end farthest from the guage)and just pull the cable off, kinda like on the wire harnesses.  sometimes they are a pain, reaching in lying under the dash, but they come off fairly easy, to put it back on just push the cable on until you feel/hear the "click" and it's on.  :icon_smile_big:

whitehatspecial

Thanks, that worked like a charm. I'll have more questions, I'm sure.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

472 R/T SE

I've only removed 2 clusters, and they were both '70's.  First thing I do when starting to pull the cluster is disconnect the alternator.  Those wires seem to be the shortest and once they're out of the way you have lots more wiggle room.  Before you mess with the alt. or anything else, make sure your battery is disconnected.