News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stereo review SecretAudio etc.

Started by eSJayDee, August 05, 2005, 12:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eSJayDee

Hey guys, I figured I'd report on my recent project of installing a SecretAudio system.
Overall, I'd say the sound quality is 'okay'.  Playing radio it can be VERY loud, but sounds like crap above about 1/2 volume.
CDs are fine up to full volume (which probably equate to roughly 1/2 volume on radio).  Certainly not rockin', but certainly tolerable to listen to & it's a heck of a lot better than what little is available on AM around here.
Even at these more moderate levels, I'd rank the sound quality as somewhat inferior to the stock system in my daily driver (Audi A6).
For speakers, I have 2 Polk DBS70 (5x7) mounted under the package tray, in the location of the stock optional speaker and the defroster.
(They didn't quite fit 'in' the holes, so I mounted them below.  Had to drill 3 holes to mount them (used one existing hole from I believe the speaker recess))  FWIW, hooking them up to my home stereo, the sound was decent, I'd give this product a thumbs up.  I'd also like to add that I was unable to find any '5x7' speakers that fit INSIDE the package tray slots, so had to resort to the underneath method that others had mentioned in threads from the old D-C.com.
For front 'speakers', I used one of those CustomAudio DVC 4x10 in the stock speaker location.  W/ the original radio installed, it's a VERY tight fit.  The top of the radio is practically touching the speaker magnet.  This is likely the cause of the untidiness of the routing of my original wiring.  Hooking this up to my home stereo, it's really cool how your surrounded by sound from only 1 speaker (had to check that my other speakers were off). However, the sound quality is not that good.  I would recommend trying one of those setups where the mount 2 like 4" round speakers in that location.
Originally, I had hoped to mount the controller/display in the ashtray, so that it would be readily accessible yet easily hidden.  As I have the flip-out style ashtray I would have been unable to get the cover to open & close w/o some modifications to the controller (cutting off the mounting tab(s) &/or the ashtray.  Considering that the controller has about 20 buttons in like 2 square inches, I realized that its functionality would be quite limited.  As such, I opted to mount it inside the glove box.  IN case you're not familiar w/ this setup, the do include a RF remote control that I believe provides full functionality, but it lacks any display.
I originally tried to mount the main unit above the glovebox hidden in the dash.  Alas, once I installed the glovebox lid & hinge, it wouldn't close.  So I had to mount it vertically behind the glovebox.
The CD changer will be mounted under the passenger seat.  (Seat is currently out.)  I had hoped to mount this inside the glovebox, but it won't fit; it's very large.
Finally, for wiring, the main unit requires an always on feed as well as switched power.  For always on, I spliced into my cigarette lighter feed (that wire was already stripped, spliced & mangled).  For the switched power, I used the original wire that powered the stock radio.
I used the connector for the stock radio, inserting a wire that 'intercepts' the power to the stock radio to go to the new stereo.  I also spliced in to take the original light feed to go back to the stock radio so it's illuminated along w/ the rest of the dash as original.
Overall, I managed to install this w/ very minor damage to the car.  3 holes in the package tray, 1 hole in the back of the cardboard glovebox (the control unit is mounted w/ 2-sided tape in the glovebox) & I'll have to drill 2 or 4 holes in the floor under the seat.  Only permanent wiring modification was splicing into a single already cut, spliced & mangled  wire.

Charger4404spd

Thanks for the heads up. I had intended on getting that system. Seems its not that great of a system for the money though. Guess I will have to go a different route!

Neal_J

Thanks for the post.  Very interesting.

Sounds like marginal quality with a steep price tag.  Plus you gotta lug around CDs.

I faced the stereo issue last year and bought an IPOD and an RF modulator. The cost is comparable to the SecretAudio, hold 500 CDs, is portable/removable and requires no cutting or drilling.  The sound so far is comparable too - just OK. 

The next step for me is a harness that wiring harness that plugs into the antenna jack.  It's a wired connection rather than the crappy wireless connection.

Peace,

Neal

Old Moparz

Thanks for the review. I too, was a little disappointed with the sound quality when I went to Carlisle one year. There was a dealer there that had a system on display inside one of the buildings at a Spring Carlisle show. It would be adequate to have compared to an original radio & not cutting up the interior, but at the price they get, I'd pass. For the amount of times I'd be in my old cars these days, I won't go crazy with a stereo anymore. At the most, I'd leave the stock radio in the dash whether it worked or not, & probably consider a remote CD changer with an amp.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

70charginglizard

I just took the stock am/fm tape deck out of my 97 dakota and built a box for it and put it all into the glove box of the charger.
Had to cut an access hole for wire access in the back of the glove box but so what. It's only cardbord.
and didn't cost me nothin.
Works great and didn't cost me a thing and best of all, No one can see anything unless I open the glove box. :o)

70charginglizard

Charger4404spd

So who has actually mounted speakers under the package tray and the dash WITHOUT having to hack?
What size speakers work the best?

Old Moparz

25 years ago I hacked up the package tray on my 1st Charger. I mounted all separate components back there with crossovers, tweeters, midranges & 8" woofers. I then made my own grilles & it looked decent. Not stock, but decent. I wouldn't do that now though, but since that area on my present car is bent, I will probably do something if I add a secondary music source. I would consider a sub in the trunk & smaller 2 or 3 ways in the back, but mounted under the package tray & out of sight. Not sure about the front, but since I have the dash out currently, I may put some smaller speakers in it.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

41husk

Thanks for the report.  What is the price on the system?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

eSJayDee

Quote from: 41husk on August 05, 2005, 08:24:32 PM
Thanks for the report.  What is the price on the system?

The SecretAudio was $428 including shipping (I wouldn't recommend buying it from where I got it.  Long story)
Polks were like $60 w/ shipping.  The DVC 4x10 was also like $60.  Throw in a few bucks for speaker wire.

To reinterate, I think the Polk speakers are darn good for their size and cost.  I had hoped for more from the DVC speaker & would therefore recommend trying something else.  Considering other options, the stereo per se is a decent solution.

As for others comments that it's overpriced, I think it was a reasonable price to pay for the system.  I don't know much about stereos, but I would hope if you installed a separate amp it would improve things.  I have a near fully functional stereo system (seek, scan, memorized stations, etc. only lacking a display) w/ virtually no hacking of my car, that sounds okay.  Not great, but probably at least as good as more than half the cars on the road.

ChargerRob

Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

garywi

I bought the Secret Audio System.  If you run the internal amp, sounds like crap.  I ran my through the pre-outs to an Alpine amp, sounds much better.  There is two pre-outs, so I will add a sub soon.  You are right, the system is OK only.  The remote is really cheap feeling.

SuBLimE 69

I going with the SOUND SYSTEM DELETE set up....I couldnt hear it if I had too..... :icon_smile_tongue:

This ticket is only $69.00 ?  If I'd have known that I'd have been going FASTER !

BrianShaughnessy

Thanks for the review.   :icon_smile:

Now I don't feel quite so bad about spending $400 to get my am converted to am/fm and having fair sound quality also.   I'm almost glad I can't hear for beans anymore.   Besides the super turds are getting broken in and the 3" exhaust is definitely louder than my old system.

It's not even funny how I can go to best buy and get a $100 pioneer CD on sale for my jeep and it sounds way better.  :icon_smile_blackeye:     

Yeah,  but I'm a sucka for the thumbwheels  :icon_smile_dead: 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Spike

Quote from: Charger4404spd on August 05, 2005, 06:20:42 PM
So who has actually mounted speakers under the package tray and the dash WITHOUT having to hack?

Front middle speaker Kenwood KFC-415c 4x10"
Two front outward speakers Alpine SPS-080A 3 1/2''
Rear speakers Kenwood KFC C6881ie 6x8"

All fit with no modifications, other than drill 4 holes to mount the rear speakers.
No sheetmetal was cut and there were no clearance issues.

Gilbert Charger

Mine is the same except I have 2 small speakers mounted in the dash where the single speaker was.

Charger4404spd

Quote from: Spike on August 07, 2005, 08:30:24 AM
Quote from: Charger4404spd on August 05, 2005, 06:20:42 PM

Front middle speaker Kenwood KFC-415c 4x10"
Two front outward speakers Alpine SPS-080A 3 1/2''
Rear speakers Kenwood KFC C6881ie 6x8"

All fit with no modifications, other than drill 4 holes to mount the rear speakers.
No sheetmetal was cut and there were no clearance issues.

Looks like a pretty good setup Spike, thanks for sharing.

eSJayDee

QuoteNow I don't feel quite so bad about spending $400 to get my am converted to am/fm and having fair sound quality also

That was the other option that I seriously considered (& had I have know it was going to take like 8 weeks to get this set up I might have opted for it), but what swung me to the SecretAudio was more functionality (18 FM, 6 AM presets vs 5 total and ability to seek/scan) and cost.  (I think w/ a CD changer controlled by the converted radio, you're talking close to $600)

QuoteTwo front outward speakers Alpine SPS-080A 3 1/2''
Where'd you put them?

Maybe after awhile, I might opt to add the auxillary amp.

Spike

QuoteTwo front outward speakers Alpine SPS-080A 3 1/2''
Where'd you put them?

Maybe after awhile, I might opt to add the auxillary amp.

It is a three speaker dash, my car came with the AM 8-track, three front speakers and one rear.