News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Turning Circle

Started by doctor4766, September 15, 2012, 06:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctor4766

Ok so my Charger has been on the road since 2008.
We rebuilt the front end but the power steering box was fine so didn't bother touching it.
It drives very nicely on the road and feels like a modern car, but one thing I have noticed is the crap turning circle it has, particularly whilst negotiating a culdesac.
Now remember we drive on the left side of the road here in Oz, so if I want to turn around in the culdesac I am travelling clockwise as opposed to y'all turning counter clockwise.
The problem I'm having is that I usually end up having to 3 point turn to get right around the circle right?
If I enter that culdesac the same way you guys do there is no 3 point turn required.
So my question is this.
Has something been set up in my steering incorrectly or are all of these cars the same?
Do they always turn better to the left?
Gotta love a '69

Bob T

Power steer it with your right foot Doc, works for me  :D    :icon_smile_big:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

charger Downunder

Jack the front up turn the steering wheel fully to the right and check if the bump stop on the lower ball joint is up against the lower control arm or very close to it,and then do opposite lock and check the other side.
[/quote]

cdr

center your steering wheel & count turns from center to left then do center to right should be very close to the same,if the alignment was done with the steering wheel not installed in the correct spline position that would cause your problem.look at the treads on the tie rods & see if they are about the same left & right side.let us know :icon_smile_big:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

68X426

Quote from: doctor4766 on September 15, 2012, 06:32:50 PM
Do they always turn better to the left?

Yes. That's why we have NASCAR. :icon_smile_wink:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else