News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Close Call for my Charger, too close...

Started by Moparman01, September 14, 2012, 07:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparman01

Quote from: jasonspragg on September 14, 2012, 02:23:07 PM
Now a days any modern town has turning lanes in the center of the road for both sides to use, was this the case in the OP's scenario? If so then you were not at fault and if so the girl that came out ranting and raving would have gotten an ear full from me. How ever everyone is correct, having that much power comes great responsibility drive safe people
Nope, not the case here, no middle turning lane! It's a bad set-up, as I said it is a main route, there should be a turning lane but there isn't room. Still no escuse for what I did of course. Live and learn I guess!

tan top

aww   good no one hurt  , or dammage ,  been there done that with manual drums  ,  wheels locked up & still sliding  like on ice ,  :icon_smile_blackeye: not a good feeling
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

74bluecharger440

Driving and Guns ,wow I wish,  Not.....What ever happened to pulling over and getting into a good fist fight?  Oh ya,  cowards.

bill440rt

Moparman, glad to hear you came out OK & no one or your Charger was hurt. One can never be too careful.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Chargerguy74

I will never brake check anyone. My dad used to do it when I was a kid, and to put it bluntly, I find it completely retarded. Why anyone would want to put themselves in harms way like that just doesn't make any sense. But that's just my opinion...
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

aussiemuscle

Quote from: Moparman01 on September 14, 2012, 07:00:45 AM
I had just picked my '69 General replica up from the muffler shop,
I imagine everyone just rolled there eyes and assumed you were a redneck hoon moving some moonshine.  :rofl:

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: Troy on September 14, 2012, 12:45:22 PM
"It's all about me." That's the world we live in these days I guess. You see the other guy as being self centered and reckless when you are just as bad. Hope nobody gets killed while you're playing chicken in two ton vehicles.

Just because it will be their fault for rearending you doesn't mean you should force it to happen. That same logic is used to "clip" someone walking across the street while not in the crosswalk just because you have the right of way. Yes, the other person is *technically* breaking the law but only a complete retard would think that's a great way to teach someone a lesson. It's also likely to get you slapped with assault with a deadly weapon or manslaughter.

If I plow into some numbnuts on the highway that can't manage to get out of the way I'll let them feel all high and mighty through their surgeries, physical therapy, and missed work. Meanwhile, I'll let the insurance pay and go back to life as usual. Thanks for the lesson - you really got me there!

Troy

This.

If you're in the left lane, you're either passing or blocking. If it's the latter, just move over, and everyone can get on their merry way. It's so simple.

RallyeMike

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Fred

If anything can turn your knees to jello..........that would be it. (don't ask me how I know) :icon_smile_big:
Glad you got out of it unscathed.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 14, 2012, 07:28:25 AM
Just a suggestion, disc brakes at least on the front.  I will agree that it was a little careless, don't let it spoil your fun.  Just be more careful  next time. Enjoy :2thumbs:
Why would disk brakes be any better?  He said all 4 locked up and he slid sideways.  His drums did the job.
I had things like that happen to me several times, and yeah it scares the crap out of you. 6 months later your driving the same way.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Mytur Binsdirti

There's an open spot waiting in the upper right......

http://www.darwinawards.com/

Any takers?  :shruggy:

Cooter

Quote from: Troy on September 14, 2012, 12:45:22 PM
"It's all about me." That's the world we live in these days I guess. You see the other guy as being self centered and reckless when you are just as bad. I didn't start it, but I'll be sure and finish it simple as thatHope nobody gets killed while you're playing chicken in two ton vehicles.Me too, but the inevidable will happen eventually until these Road hogging b*tches learn their leasson.

Just because it will be their fault for rearending you doesn't mean you should force it to happen. Again, I'll see if this scenario will help you to understand the REAL problem here instead of chastizing one for taking action for a few being stupid...Remember back in the late 70's when you were being bullied in school? Nobody gave two sh*ts did they? That was until a couple kids came to school and began to shoot the bullies. Now all of a sudden, we have Legislation/rules/laws/etc. to stop bullying...Same thing here. Until a few actually are reminded that they are breaking the law and All I did was simply brake for a dog that ran out in front of me, this type of "Just get out the way" thinking will allow this to continue. You can do just that as it seems to be working for you, but I refuse to.That same logic is used to "clip" someone walking across the street while not in the crosswalk just because you have the right of way. Yes, the other person is *technically* breaking the law but only a complete retard would think that's a great way to teach someone a lesson. It's also likely to get you slapped with assault with a deadly weapon or manslaughter.Burden of proof lies with the accuser, I was doing a safe speed and providing a safe distance between me and the other cars on the road.

If I plow into some numbnuts on the highway that can't manage to get out of the way I'll let them feel all high and mighty through their surgeries, physical therapy, and missed work. Meanwhile, I'll let the insurance pay and go back to life as usual. Thanks for the lesson - you really got me there!And It's all about me" thinking that allows this type of thinking.. Keep at it, and I assure you, there are more out there just like me. You might talk down to one, but you won't talk to all...Good luck out there. Might wanna re-read your driving education book.....Hint: "One thousand one.....One thousand two" is the SAFE following distance..

Troy

I'm not here to convince any of you, I'm here to warn you..Of course, sometimes, it isn't the popular thing to do. So be it.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

So how do you decide the point where you punish them at speed like that?  Do they have to physically touch your car or is there some sort of Cooter radar out back that beeps when they enter your kill zone?

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on September 17, 2012, 06:46:00 AM
So how do you decide the point where you punish them at speed like that?  Do they have to physically touch your car or is there some sort of Cooter radar out back that beeps when they enter your kill zone?

Look Ghoste, I'm not here to convince you to stop driving within 5ft of the driver's rearend that's in front of you. No, Now why would I think that I could even "Try" and change human nature?...No, If I'm doing my "10 over" speed limit and your within "One one-thousand...Two, One-thousand", you had better be prepared for the inevidable "Dog that ran out in front of me" braking that is sure to occur. Too mnay on the orad today think that there's NO WAY your gonna get in front of me and cause me to be 30 seconds later arriving at their destination, so therefore, they ride people's asses. This is not the answer, but people have the "My little world" and refuse to allow anybody else in their bubble....Again, not here to convince anybody here, just beware, there are more just like me out there. Be careful 'ya hear?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

At one point did I indicate I was on the other guys side or that it was an activity I participated in?  And I fully realize I'm not going to change your mind either.  You think its your right to be some sort of highway vigilante and uphold what you determine to be broken laws through punishment to be administered  by your own special decree.  What you haven't realized is that you are absolutely 100% no better in any way than the law breakers you fell you are teaching a lesson to.  You state your refusal to be bullied without ever seeing that you are cut from the same cloth.
So yes, you have warned us all, if someone follows you to closely they can expect to be punished or possibly even killed but they should die with the knowledge that it was their fault and you have saved the world. 
I am curious about a couple of things though.  What happens if you meet someone just like yourself but they have determined that the speed limit or 10 over is the absolute maximum you would ever go in the most dire of emergencies and maybe you aren't riding their bumper but as you pull out to pass safely, they shove your ass off the road to teach you not to drive 10 over?  Or what about the day when someone is on your ass and you decide that school is in at Cooters On The Road Traffic Lessons and it turns out you meet a bigger bully than yourself and the moment he sees your brake lights come on makes the decision to floor it and hammer into the back of you.
You are right, you can't change people and there are plenty more like you out there.  It's unfortunate but we have descended from defensive driving to offensive.

Troy

This pretty much sums it up:
Quote from: Cooter on September 14, 2012, 12:07:03 PM
However, I don't have the luxury of flashing lights and DEMANDING the respect I shoulda got in the first place, so you get brake checked if show me no respect.

Someone doesn't feel loved. :pity:

I've said it all my life "I don't owe anyone anything - especially not respect." That is earned. I won't intentionally disrespect anyone but I do treat them exactly the way they treat me. If they get offended by that I won't feel sorry at all. No matter, using a vehicle to prove your point is asinine.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

RallyeMike

So if you brake-check someone, they over-react and lose control going onto the sidewalk or oncoming traffic, it's all their fault, and that's just too bad for the innocents that get involved.

:slap:

:rotz:

::)

:misbehaving:

:nono:

:nutkick:

Maybe a little more thought on the subject would be prudent.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

JB400

My opinion on the whole matter. Both drivers just need to CHILL out.  If your pissy, stay off the beaten path.  That way, you can go on your way, and nobody has to deal with your attitude.  Can't we all just get along?

74bluecharger440

So someone is riding your ass which actually happens alot,then they see an opening and pass ,as they go by they slow down and give a thumbs up ,loving your car.  So you brake check them and in their dyeing breath they say to you ,"I was just admiring your car ,why did you hit the brakes  ASSHOLE,"

70chargerkrazy

well im new here hate to get off on the wrong foot but i agree w cooter give me space to react to an emergency in front of me with that said stay off my ass or you will eat tail lites :brickwall:

bill440rt

Sounds like a match made in heaven.    :yesnod:  :angel:

Welcome to DC.com:wave:  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Indygenerallee

I always liked the brake check with the E-brake!!! Look ma no tail lights!!!!  :lol:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Cooter

Quote from: 74bluecharger440 on September 17, 2012, 05:52:48 PM
So someone is riding your ass which actually happens alot,then they see an opening and pass ,as they go by they slow down and give a thumbs up ,loving your car.  So you brake check them and in their dyeing breath they say to you ,"I was just admiring your car ,why did you hit the brakes  ASSHOLE,"
Actually, kinda confused here. If they are in the process of passing me, how the hell could I have brake checked them? :scratchchin: :shruggy:

I stay in the right lane and drive slower than traffic, as I will be going to jail if someone hits my junk. Of course, I wouldn't shake a dime out of the Non-insurance having POS anyway...I was referring to my daily as well as my Cruise night vehicles. They are all heavily insured and I will collect.Most know to keep their distance from antique cars because of law suits that follow round here. Hope this answers your concerns. :2thumbs:

Quote from: Troy on September 17, 2012, 08:06:30 AM

Someone doesn't feel loved. :pity:

I've said it all my life "I don't owe anyone anything - especially not respect." That is earned. I won't intentionally disrespect anyone but I do treat them exactly the way they treat me. If they get offended by that I won't feel sorry at all. No matter, using a vehicle to prove your point is asinine.

Troy

Never said respect wasn't earned. Hmmm, Maybe I shoulda put it this way then, Me not getting the respect I shoulda been getting in the first place(By NOT riding my ass) I guess would be the same thing as "Disrespecting" me. so, with the word mincing out of the way, I appreciate your opinion on subject, but none the less, it is what it is. And for the record as stated before, I'm well loved round these parts. Many friends. They tend to ask favors from time to time, and I never refuse these friends. Never. Therefore, I get "love" (If you will) in return.

Quote from: RallyeMike on September 17, 2012, 02:53:05 PM
So if you brake-check someone, they over-react and lose control going onto the sidewalk or oncoming traffic, it's all their fault, and that's just too bad for the innocents that get involved.
Maybe a little more thought on the subject would be prudent.

With you totally. Maybe a little more respect and thought on the part of the dumbass riding my ass? Maybe they need to remember the One-One-thousand....TWO One thousand...Rule? Your operating under the knowledge that I brake checked him/her on purpose. What would happen if I HAD to brake for a dog/deer/etc. and the same happened? Sorry for the innocents involved, but I STILL BLAME THE DUMBASS riding my ass. He/she caused all of it...

Quote from: Ghoste on September 17, 2012, 07:08:26 AM
 What happens if you meet someone just like yourself but they have determined that the speed limit or 10 over is the absolute maximum you would ever go in the most dire of emergencies and maybe you aren't riding their bumper but as you pull out to pass safely, they shove your ass off the road to teach you not to drive 10 over? Ok, hypethetically speaking as I actually have NEVER had this happen driving the way I do(10 over), but....
My thinking on that is I wasn't riding your ass, I was using the other lane to actually PASS you instead of riding up your ass, so therefore, this situation should never happen. I have never said anybody couldn't pass me, it's the assholes that wanna stay up my ass with those Bright ass lights that piss me off and get the "treatment".

Or what about the day when someone is on your ass and you decide that school is in at Cooters On The Road Traffic Lessons and it turns out you meet a bigger bully than yourself and the moment he sees your brake lights come on makes the decision to floor it and hammer into the back of you.Actually never concidered myself a "Bully". Just someone who isn't afraid of the PC world and is willing to take his lumps for speaking his mind. My definition of "Bully" would be someone who simply slams into the back of people simply because he can for NO REASON. You may not think I have a point and because a few disagree Majority rules here, but it simply isn't true.(It may not be the most orthodox way to wake a numbnuts up at the wheel, but it works). I stated, you ride my ass, you will get brake checked. You know when your doing it so it's very simple I make it a rule NOT TO DO IT, all I ask is it not done to me. Alas, it has become so "Common place" today that I seriously believe some don't even reallize they are doing it, but none the less, a couple quick stabs and they wake up and remember their driving instructors words real quick.(Remember that 1-one thousand thing?) And most times it isn't city driving where EVERYONE is bumper to bumper..I'm referring to the ones that think they can force me into the right lane on the open road, because of some "Unwritten" rule that if your not doing at least 90 MPH(WTF made it 90 MPH???) in the left lane you simply cannot drive there. Like the law officer told a buddy of mine when he got a speeding ticket and referred to the left lane as the "Fast lane"...Law officer: "There is NO SUCH THING sir."

Quote from: 70chargerkrazy on September 17, 2012, 07:51:36 PM
well im new here hate to get off on the wrong foot but i agree w cooter give me space to react to an emergency in front of me with that said stay off my ass or you will eat tail lites :brickwall:
Not off on the wrong foot at all. However, I must warn you. Careful how much you agree with Cooter it can be dangerous to your forum health... :lol:  And thanks for speaking your mind on said subject. I knode I wasn't alone (Spoken like "Mater" from "Cars")

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 17, 2012, 03:05:57 PM
Can't we all just get along?

What a wonderful world it would be.   I'm happy to give it a go.  :yesnod:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

RallyeMike

QuoteWith you totally. Maybe a little more respect and thought on the part of the dumbass riding my ass? Maybe they need to remember the One-One-thousand....TWO One thousand...Rule? Your operating under the knowledge that I brake checked him/her on purpose. What would happen if I HAD to brake for a dog/deer/etc. and the same happened? Sorry for the innocents involved, but I STILL BLAME THE DUMBASS riding my ass. He/she caused all of it...

Well, you can't control the actions of the other dumb-ass, but you can control your own: There are other sane and legal ways to deal with it other than giving into testosterone-driven road rage and what is characterized by every State in the union as reckless driving. Try slowing down in 5mph increments until the jerk passes. Wave and smile as he goes by. Works every time and makes them madder than hell.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"