News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Close Call for my Charger, too close...

Started by Moparman01, September 14, 2012, 07:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparman01

I'll start by saying that no there was no accident, but if there was it woulda have been 100% my fault! Anyway, heres what happend. I had just picked my '69 General replica up from the muffler shop, had a brand new H-pipe exhuast system installed manifolds to tips with Cherry Bomb Turbo mufflers, it sounds wicked good! As I'm on my way home, enjoying the sound of the new muffs, i'm coming thru a main drag thru town when i come up upon a car, in my lane, turning into the local dollar store. I slow up, drop into 2nd gear and as i get to the car it turns and is out of my way. So, wanting to hear the new pipes some more, i get on the gas a little bit, while still in second and preceed to fairly rapidly accelerate. Now, by no means did i floor board the pedal, i just rolled into it easy like. I take my eyes off the road ahead for a split second, dumb move, and as i re-gain my driving attention, i see another car stopped, again in my lane, getting ready to turn. Thats when the "oh 'you know what'" comes out and now i'm hard on the breaks!! All 4 wheels lock right up (drums all around) now i'm skidding like i'm on ice!! Car get's sideways and is headed towards the curb, i let of the breaks while i have the wheel turned the opposite direction and the car snaps back now headed into the on-coming lane!! Thank God there was no on-coming traffic at that moment or...yeah. So, the car that was stopped must have seen this all going down in his mirror, he quickly pulled foward thus avoiding any collision between the General and rear of his car. I got the car stopped, and then had to check my under shorts, thought i was gonna have to change them as well as the seat covers. At that point the girl in the passenger seat of the car i almost plowed (the car not the girl) get's out and is screaming her head off at me, calling me every name in the book, i was still trying to figure out if i had soiled myself or not, i couldn't put any words together quite yet. They left, i pulled away, and headed straight for my garage, which just happens to be right around the corner from where this all happend. Car, me, and them, all still in one peice thankfully. But man what a wake up call, i'll go on record and say i'm usually the sane driver always on the look out for the idiots, this time it was me who was the idiot! Moral of the story, having that much HP and torque under your right foot is a lot of fun, but it can get out of hand real fast, drive safe out there!! 

Dino

Yep you were an idiot, we've all been there and done that.  All is well and you learned your lesson.  Now go fix those brakes so it stops as it's supposed to.

Oh and post a sound clip or video of those new mufflers if you can, I'd love to hear them.  Gl's are supposed to be loud and aggressive.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

JB400

Just a suggestion, disc brakes at least on the front.  I will agree that it was a little careless, don't let it spoil your fun.  Just be more careful  next time. Enjoy :2thumbs:

41husk

Yep! I bet most of us have done simular dumb stuff :yesnod: I know I have :icon_smile_big:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

BrianShaughnessy

Been there done that...  :popcrn:   Glad nobody got hurt and nothing got damaged.

Get some disk brakes on that for your next project.  :Twocents:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

RIDELIKEHELL

I rear ended a contractor van in my Magnum a few years back as I anticipated him to go since the light was green but he sat there.It didn't help that it was raining and I hydroplaned in a puddle as the road is a crappy one. We pulled around a corner to talk as I didn't hurt his van as I hit the trailer hitch but it wrecked my whole front clip. I said what were you doing back there all lanes of traffic were moving and you decided to wait 10 seconds? His reply was "My girlfriend and I were having an indepth conversation" I wanted to indepth my foot up his arse :lol: anyway I paid out of pocket to fix my car as he didn't want to tell his boss as he was to NOT have her in the van anyway. I know it was my fault but I'm still pissed at that little prick to this day.
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

Ghoste

I hit the back of another car years and years ago when he brake checked me halfway through an interesection.  Not much damage because we weren't going very fast in that short of distance but whether he locked his brakes to be an ass or not, it was still my fault.  You're supposed to anticipate that stuff I guess?

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on September 14, 2012, 08:29:00 AM
  Not much damage because we weren't going very fast in that short of distance but whether he locked his brakes to be an ass or not, it was still my fault.  You're supposed to anticipate that stuff I guess?

I've had to do that a couple times with these Assholes riding my ass in my little truck..ok, i'm doing 10 over speed limit, do you REALLY need to go 90 MPH in 65 MPH zone? If so, you better not be on my ass cause I can feel my neck hurting already.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

I don't like being tailgated either but I have no intention of ever "brake checking" anyone.  The ti algating part may be annoying and certainly following too closely is against the law but trying to cause the other guy to wreck his car is far worse.

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on September 14, 2012, 11:45:54 AM
I don't like being tailgated either but I have no intention of ever "brake checking" anyone.  The ti algating part may be annoying and certainly following too closely is against the law but trying to cause the other guy to wreck his car is far worse.

Certainly I'm doing my part to help the other driver's on the road with me to get the maniac that's driving that fast. If I take him/her out in one swoop, just think of the life i mighta saved three miles down the road when he/she decides it's a good time to text while doing 90 MPH.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Troy

Quote from: Cooter on September 14, 2012, 11:38:37 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on September 14, 2012, 08:29:00 AM
 Not much damage because we weren't going very fast in that short of distance but whether he locked his brakes to be an ass or not, it was still my fault.  You're supposed to anticipate that stuff I guess?

I've had to do that a couple times with these Assholes riding my ass in my little truck..ok, i'm doing 10 over speed limit, do you REALLY need to go 90 MPH in 65 MPH zone? If so, you better not be on my ass cause I can feel my neck hurting already.
You sound like my dad. :D Have you ever seen the results of getting rearended on the highway? Hint: the car in front gets punted to who knows where (likely into oncoming traffic) and the one in back can safely slow down and pull over. It's not the job of any one driver to regulate traffic. Just get out of the way and everyone is happier and healthier. And yes, that's exactly what I tell my dad (not you specifically). On a 2 lane road with no place to pass you just drive whatever speed is comfortable and let the tailgaters deal with it. Jabbing the brakes usually only makes your trip last longer.

As for the original post, I'm sure we've all let a car get away from us or came across an unexpected situation when were we preoccupied. Glad everything came out ok (except the heart rate) and no one and no car was hurt. Be thankful for those experiences that teach - or keep you focused - without causing much pain!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

So what if he doesn't see your warning and piles into the back of you and destroys boths cars, whose fault would it be then?  100%?  Or what if the person following too close too fast see you brake, panics, and loses control of his car and just totals his own vehicle?  Still okay right?  What if he's killed?  Hid fault for being a maniac?  What if he loses control and hits some kids on the roadside and kills them too?
It's just wrong Cooter.

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on September 14, 2012, 11:53:54 AM
So what if he doesn't see your warning and piles into the back of you and destroys boths cars, whose fault would it be then?  100%?  Or what if the person following too close too fast see you brake, panics, and loses control of his car and just totals his own vehicle?  Still okay right?  What if he's killed?  Hid fault for being a maniac?  What if he loses control and hits some kids on the roadside and kills them too?
It's just wrong Cooter.

Stay off my ass and you won't have anything to worry bout...Ride it, and I WILL brake check your ass. I bet a couple stripes in his/her shorts keeps him from doing it to someone else..Right/Wrong/indifferent/ Speeding kills, not me and a "Deer that ran out in front of me".

Ghoste

How do you know the person isn't in a hurry because they aren't trying to get their pregnanat wife to a hospital or something?  You can justify it however you want but it's wrong.

Cooter

Quote from: Troy on September 14, 2012, 11:51:26 AM

You sound like my dad. Just get out of the way and everyone is happier and healthier.

Troy

And my neck hurts already. Nope, I refuse to be bullied off the raod when someone is clearly breaking the law by speeding...That very thinking has allowed the assholes peeding wrecklessly to assume they own the raod and everybody will simply "Get out of the way" for them....It's my "Job" to see that they f*cked with the wrong muthaf*cker when they ride my ass.

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on September 14, 2012, 11:58:01 AM
How do you know the person isn't in a hurry because they aren't trying to get their pregnanat wife to a hospital or something?  You can justify it however you want but it's wrong.

Since Tailgating and "Brake Checking" is right in line with OP thread kinda, I'll answer this one as well....

I've found when there's an emergency, the cars since 1960's have flashers and most use them to WARN OTHER DRIVERS THEY ARE SPEEDING FOR A REASON, other than the simple fact they got their driving experience through video games. AGAIN, you ride my ass, you will be warned, then you get brake checked.

Ghoste

I'm sure all the police appreciate your help.  Maybe the person "bullying" you is inexperienced or maybe not.  Maybe they are a bully, maybe they are a maniac.  But honestly dude, in this scenario I see two maniacs.

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on September 14, 2012, 12:02:31 PM
I'm sure all the police appreciate your help.  Maybe the person "bullying" you is inexperienced or maybe not.  Maybe they are a bully, maybe they are a maniac.  But honestly dude, in this scenario I see two maniacs.

I respect that attitude, but be forewarned, there's PLENTY right here that feel the same, they simply don't want to feel the negativity. I could give a sh*t less. I have my opinion and if your differs, that's great, if not, that's great too. You seem to think that my "Regualtion" is far worse than someone shoving people out of their way because they think they own the road. ok, that cool ,but I disagree. As far as the cops? Have a couple in the family and have gone over this with them. While they don't condone it, and have warned me that it can be dangerous, they cannot be everywhere all the time. kinda like "Where's a cop when you need one?" thing.

However, I don't have the luxury of flashing lights and DEMANDING the respect I shoulda got in the first place, so you get brake checked if show me no respect. You can be the biggest badass there is, when your talking to a cop, all of a sudden, you are putty. Cause if you don't respect him/her, you get the "Kickin' Chicken" and that's NO FUN...

Ghoste

Well I take it all back then.  You are the best and smartest most safe driver that ever lived and I thank you for keeping the highways and biways of your municipality free from bullies and speeders.  However I thank God you aren't doing it anywhere near where my own family might be.  (we have plenty of our own self designated law enforcement "non-bullies")

Troy

"It's all about me." That's the world we live in these days I guess. You see the other guy as being self centered and reckless when you are just as bad. Hope nobody gets killed while you're playing chicken in two ton vehicles.

Just because it will be their fault for rearending you doesn't mean you should force it to happen. That same logic is used to "clip" someone walking across the street while not in the crosswalk just because you have the right of way. Yes, the other person is *technically* breaking the law but only a complete retard would think that's a great way to teach someone a lesson. It's also likely to get you slapped with assault with a deadly weapon or manslaughter.

If I plow into some numbnuts on the highway that can't manage to get out of the way I'll let them feel all high and mighty through their surgeries, physical therapy, and missed work. Meanwhile, I'll let the insurance pay and go back to life as usual. Thanks for the lesson - you really got me there!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

gschmidt211

Moparman, I am glad you and your car were able to get out of your situation unscathed.  I know I have had a few close calls and can relate. 

Cooter, that is quite a bit of road rage you are holding onto there.  You should probably see someone and take care of all of that rage before you hurt yourself or someone else.

Quote from: Cooter on September 14, 2012, 12:07:03 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on September 14, 2012, 12:02:31 PM

I respect that attitude, but be forewarned, there's PLENTY right here that feel the same, they simply don't want to feel the negativity. I could give a sh*t less. I have my opinion and if your differs, that's great, if not, that's great too. You seem to think that my "Regualtion" is far worse than someone shoving people out of their way because they think they own the road. ok, that cool ,but I disagree. As far as the cops? Have a couple in the family and have gone over this with them. While they don't condone it, and have warned me that it can be dangerous, they cannot be everywhere all the time. kinda like "Where's a cop when you need one?" thing.

However, I don't have the luxury of flashing lights and DEMANDING the respect I shoulda got in the first place, so you get brake checked if show me no respect. You can be the biggest badass there is, when your talking to a cop, all of a sudden, you are putty. Cause if you don't respect him/her, you get the "Kickin' Chicken" and that's NO FUN...
1972 Charger Rallye
2014 Ram Outdoorsman 3.6L 4x2
1978 D100 Utiline Standard Cab

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

JB400

My worst tailgating experience:  Me and anther guy were heading to a car auction 65 miles from home.  He was in a 00 Taurus and I was in a 96 Cavalier with a big wing on the back and a ground effects kit all painted white. Rode my but all the way until we hit this one little town. He rode my butt through there as well.  At the edge of town, there is a spot where the speed limit goes from 40-50-60 in a quarter mile. I got to that area, downshifted, and floored it ( man, trans.)  I ran that car up to what I thought was the speed limit and I had a good jump on the guy.  Two lane road and guess what's in the other lane.  Highway patrol.  He asks me how fast I was going, I told him " I hope I was doing 60."  He says " You were doing 72"   Any way I got a verbal warning.  I blamed it on the guages. White faced guages lit up in green at dusk, can't read them.  Lesson learned none. I'd still do the same way again. :2thumbs:

jasonspragg

Now a days any modern town has turning lanes in the center of the road for both sides to use, was this the case in the OP's scenario? If so then you were not at fault and if so the girl that came out ranting and raving would have gotten an ear full from me. How ever everyone is correct, having that much power comes great responsibility drive safe people

shart70rt

In my area (Texas) you also have to worry about the hand cannon in the console of the other driver. I don't know what percentage carry, but I do, and I still worry about some one going off center, especially in a forced error situation. Hate to get shot, and also hate to shoot someone especially if I contributed to the situation (brake check). Still hate being tailgated, but I usually just slow down more (slowly) and shoot them the bird. Also flip that console lid up before doing the above, just in case.
Stephen Hart
1970 Charger RT, 440, console 4-speed, Dana 60 3.54
500 Stroker, Edelbrock Heads, Edelbrock intake, dual 600 CFM Carbs,
Comp Hydraulic Roller
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch setup, Passon Performance overdrive gearset in 833 18 spline 4 spd.
TTI 2 inch headers and 3 inch exhaust.
Subframe connectors
P-S-T polygraphite suspension
4 wheel disc brakes
Classic Auto Air AC
Billet Performance Serpentine Assy
reassembly in progress