News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 RT VIN/Ebag

Started by photon, September 13, 2012, 02:04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

photon

I am getting ready to list rusty/pretty complete  RT on ebay?  What are the pros/cons of putting the entire VIN in the add.  I always see people blocking the last digits of the VIN.  Any thoughts?

JB400

Quote from: photon on September 13, 2012, 02:04:55 AM
I am getting ready to list rusty/pretty complete  RT on ebay?  What are the pros/cons of putting the entire VIN in the add.  I always see people blocking the last digits of the VIN.  Any thoughts?
Pros:  It would allow people to know it is a legit R/T. It would verify it has the correct type engine, trans. where it was built.
Cons: The smart person down the street from you can get another title to your car, put it in their name, and claim your car is theirs.
My suggestion is do what other people are doing. Post all but the last 6 digits.  The last 6 digits are the serial number.
Another suggestion is to post pics on here. Someone might want to buy your car, or know someone that does.  Good luck selling your car.

1974dodgecharger

how common is that, that someone steals a vin and then tries to claim at DMV is their car without the DMV looking at the car with the VIN.

Then to claim it as theirs the car when another person has the title in hand with car with vin etc....

sounds like a fast and furious movie....
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 13, 2012, 03:24:15 AM
Quote from: photon on September 13, 2012, 02:04:55 AM
Pros:  It would allow people to know it is a legit R/T. It would verify it has the correct type engine, trans. where it was built.
Cons: The smart person down the street from you can get another title to your car, put it in their name, and claim your car is theirs.
My suggestion is do what other people are doing. Post all but the last 6 digits.  The last 6 digits are the serial number.
Another suggestion is to post pics on here. Someone might want to buy your car, or know someone that does.  Good luck selling your car.

JB400

Gone in 60 Seconds :laugh:
Either way, it's strongly recommended not to post the last 6 digits. 

Ghoste

Yeah, its easy to block the last six and no one needs that part to know the car is legit.

bakerhillpins

So as much as I like to succumb to everything on the internet is true I just don't buy this. I can walk down the street and grab all the VINs I want all day long, so how come I don't constantly hear reports of this occurring. Not to mention all of the VINs that I see walk across this and other sites.

Gonna play devils advocate here and go with  :icon_bs:

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Ghoste

It might be bs but it takes so little trouble to block them out why take the chance?   Not apples to apples by any definition but how often do you hear of someone putting for sale signs on other peoples cars too and trying and sell them from their driveway?  Now how often do you see scammer ads on the internet where they try to sell someone elses car?

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: bakerhillpins on September 13, 2012, 05:51:46 AM
So as much as I like to succumb to everything on the internet is true I just don't buy this. I can walk down the street and grab all the VINs I want all day long, so how come I don't constantly hear reports of this occurring. Not to mention all of the VINs that I see walk across this and other sites.

Gonna play devils advocate here and go with  :icon_bs:

That was my point also about the 'fast and furious' I just dont see this happening either. I give my vins out all day I dont care personally Its the title thats important and I have it safe away.

Its not like I can walk into a DMV with all digits of a car and say its mine and get it registered and then get a title for it. Its not that easy to do based on my experience. Even at all the car shows they show their vin on the car as is and yet no issues there either.

Ghoste

Dont  be so sure.  Some states it nearly takes an act of God but there are other states where it is pretty easy to get a title reissued.  Anyway, suit yourself.  Me?  I don't give out any more info than I have to.   FWIW, I'm also one of those people who shreds any documentation that leaves my home in the trash with personal information on it.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Ghoste on September 13, 2012, 05:56:22 AM
It might be bs but it takes so little trouble to block them out why take the chance?   Not apples to apples by any definition but how often do you hear of someone putting for sale signs on other peoples cars too and trying and sell them from their driveway?  Now how often do you see scammer ads on the internet where they try to sell someone elses car?

Because it's just buying into the scare tactics.  Selling a car you don't own by putting a sign on it and/or using photos to sell something that they don't have isn't the same thing. Well ok, it's all dishonest so it is. But IMHO you are going out of your way to make your self worry about something that you can't control anyhow.  :Twocents:

It's the same issue with License Plates.. They are publicly displayed anyhow so what's the big deal?   :shruggy:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

JB400

I'd rather not go through identity theft.  Sounds like a pain the ---.    :rotz:

Ghoste

I did say it wasn't the same, that point was more about the fact that some crimes are easier by internet.  Anyway, it really does come down to individual choice.  If you're comfortable with it, go for it.  Some buying into scare tactics work on me I guess and this happens to be one of them.

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on September 13, 2012, 06:26:42 AM
I did say it wasn't the same, that point was more about the fact that some crimes are easier by internet.  Anyway, it rally does come down to individual choice.  If you're comfortable with it, go for it.  Some buying into scare tactics work on me I guess and this happens to be one of them.
I agree 110%

bakerhillpins

Fair enough guys.  Oh and while I make the point with you all on this issue, I do make the same "why take the chance?" point of view in other situations.

:cheers:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Ghoste

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 13, 2012, 06:18:50 AM
I'd rather not go through identity theft.  Sounds like a pain the ---.    :rotz:

I know two people who went through it and one of them is still fighting to regain his name after several years, many dollars and countless headaches.  The other one it took her over a year and less money and headache but still brutal to watch from the sidelines.
My wife had an atm card get the info swiped from what was otherwise a legitimate machine and even that took a month to correct. 

JB400

It definitely ain't hard anymore to get someones private info.  That old saying " Better safe than sorry" needs to be practiced more now than in years past.

Ghoste

Yes, and the irony is that its so easy to steal it and so hard to get it rectified.

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on September 13, 2012, 07:00:44 AM
Yes, and the irony is that its so easy to steal it and so hard to get it rectified.
So true. Indeed

68X426

Quote from: bakerhillpins on September 13, 2012, 06:51:24 AM
Fair enough guys.  Oh and while I make the point with you all on this issue, I do make the same "why take the chance?" point of view in other situations.

I'd worry way more about ex-wives and ex-girlfriends than I'd worry about strangers and a VIN. :Twocents:

Can you trust a pair of ovaries that you broke up with? :o

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

cdr

Quote from: 68X426 on September 13, 2012, 10:52:32 AM
Quote from: bakerhillpins on September 13, 2012, 06:51:24 AM

I'd worry way more about ex-wives and ex-girlfriends than I'd worry about strangers and a VIN. :Twocents:

Can you trust a pair of ovaries that you broke up with? :o

now that is a sobering thought  :o :scratchchin: :pullinghair: :think: :think: :smilie_help: :smilie_help: :smilie_help: :cryin: :cryin: :cryin:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Ghoste

Technically the ovaries were dating my, oh never mind.  It doesn't matter whose little brain your talking about irrational decisions are made on both sdes.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Ghoste on September 13, 2012, 06:02:37 AM
Dont  be so sure.  Some states it nearly takes an act of God but there are other states where it is pretty easy to get a title reissued.  Anyway, suit yourself.  Me?  I don't give out any more info than I have to.   FWIW, I'm also one of those people who shreds any documentation that leaves my home in the trash with personal information on it.

still have a hard time believing not saying it cant happen since anything can happen (first black president), but it would take some 'connections' such as my grandma sisters, brother, uncle who works in the DMV I know can do some tricks for me and get me a title of some sort here in arizona for sure.

Here in arizona they check your car first by check it means they run a vin check, then get a ticket, then register it. So the car needs to be seen in person first and this is before getting an emissions (not for 1974 and older).

Old Moparz

New York State has a way to gain ownership of a vehicle, all you need to do is have possession of it for one year........ or lie to them.......

PDF file of the NYSDMV form.....the instructions are on the form & it seems so easy it's scary.  :o
http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv51b.pdf

There are no titles for 1974 & older so you get a "non-transferable registration" until they determine that a "transferable registration" will be issued. If the car is not in the system, such as a barn find that's been off the road for 30 years, who at DMV can say that you're lying to them?   :shruggy:

Is there a chance it'll work? Maybe, but it's a big gamble in my opinion, but I'm looking at it from a point of view of myself being honest. Would a dishonest POS thief give it a try? Probably, & they won't care whether it's right or wrong. If they fill out the form & lie about being the owner, all they need is the VIN.

I would never post the VIN on the internet.   :Twocents:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

JB400

Same inspection here in Missouri as well.  But here's the kicker, the inspector writes his info on a ticket book he bought at Wal-Mart.  So, in other words, I can walk up to your car, get the vin, write it in a store bought ticket book, forge an inspectors' signature, go to the DMV and file for a lost title.  One month later, I get the title,  I come and get your car, and with a quick repaint,  I legally own your car.  What goes on at the DMV at Jeff City, I don't know, but I know people that do.

Would I actually do it, NO NO NO NO!!!!!!  But, I'm trying to prove a point.  Can your female friends do the same thing, it wouldn't surprise me.  Pick your friends carefully.  Like they say, "Keep one eye on your enemies, keep both eyes on your friends." :scratchchin:

1974dodgecharger

As with anything 'LIFE' is a gamble hell you have parents claiming kids from other parents saying switched at birth, you have people steeling wifi from others, so in the end nothing is sacred.

The more you think you are being sacred from anyone is the day you will be found out that you are not so sacred........

My personal opinion I dont give a 2 sheits of me trying to hide things such as VINs in fact people hate it that I dont hide the VIN of a car in fact they think im trying to hide more VIN numbers after the 6 and I have sold 3 chargers in my lifetime. Told the truth about VIN among other things and they hate it that I tell the truth....

When peole realize that other people try to hide things and when a person tells the truth they want to be lied to sometimes....