News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Using non stock gauges in the original cluster

Started by Dino, September 12, 2012, 07:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Many have done this before but what I would like to do is remove the small gauges and adapt the cluster housing to hold new mechanical gauges.  If at all possible, and I don't know if it is, I would like to use the original gauge faces to retain the look.

I don't see too much issues with adapting the gauge face to the new gauge but the scale needs to be the same or the reading will be way off.

The alternative is aftermarket gauges under the dash but if I can have the original look with upgraded internals it would be the best of both worlds.

Do you think there's anything out there that could make this happen?

I should've posted this in electrical...my bad...
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

I think your best bet would be to get your custom guages and then acces the face to redo them and you would likely have to do some "adaptation" to get where you want to be.  Does that make sense? 

Dino

Quote from: Ghoste on September 12, 2012, 07:15:54 AM
I think your best bet would be to get your custom guages and then acces the face to redo them and you would likely have to do some "adaptation" to get where you want to be.  Does that make sense? 

Yes it does.  As I see it I have a few options but the easiest is likely to get new gauge decals and stick them straight on the new gauges.  If the scale is close then it'll work and will still be more accurate than the stock gauges.  If I can find gauges with a similar scale, size and needle then I'm all set.  Good thing I'm not asking for much eh?   :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

There's what Im kind of trying to say, you may have to customize a stock looking guage face to reflect the built in scale of the guage itself.

Dino

Quote from: Ghoste on September 12, 2012, 08:48:31 AM
There's what Im kind of trying to say, you may have to customize a stock looking guage face to reflect the built in scale of the guage itself.

Ghoste I didn't even think of manipulating the gauge face.  That's indeed a good option and if done right nobody would be able to tell.   :2thumbs:

Alright, time to shop for gauges.  I know autometer is a decent brand but what else is good.  I don't want to get stuck with Chinese garbage that makes the stock gauges look like Swiss precision instruments.

JB400

Sunpro for a nice vintage look.  Hey, I'm sure most most of you have the tach on the column so why not? Personally, I'm leaning digital.  Or those gauges like what's in a Cadillac.

Dino

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 12, 2012, 09:16:50 AM
Sunpro for a nice vintage look.  Hey, I'm sure most most of you have the tach on the column so why not? Personally, I'm leaning digital.  Or those gauges like what's in a Cadillac.

The look won't matter as they will be covered with decals but the quality, scale and needle matter, although the latter shouldn't be too hard to adjust.

Dino

Alright, I looked around a bit and there's plenty fuel gauges with the same scale, although none of the short sweep gauges have the needle as low as the stock ones but that's how it is.  The bwater temp gauge will be tricky but the worst is the oil pressure gauge as all of them seem to have 50 in the center.  On a stock Charger that's more in the 35 range.  Of course I could rotate the gauge clockwise in the cluster as all I need is a range but then it would have a certain amount of pressure whn not running.  I have to think about this...  :think:

Dino

So there's a bunch of vintage gauges on ebay, most from Stewart Warner, that have the same scale as the Chargers do.  And I'm looking at just the oil pressure gauges now by the way, gotta start somewhere.

Now when they are mechanical I don't mind taking a chance, but these all seem to be electrical and I wonder if I would gain anything installing these.  The whole idea of doing this mod is to not have to calibrate the stock gauges until the cows come home.  

I like this one, it would be pretty easy to make it look stock.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Nehoff-Car-Dash-Panel-Oil-Pressure-Gauge-/350598036270?hash=item51a1457b2e&item=350598036270&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

TexasStroker

one of my favorite threads:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,19711.0.html

My waterjet guy never got it done...I did set up something really, really trick...It is currently "in development."  I'll post up whenever there is progress.  That thread should give you some other ideas/options.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

hawkeye

i bought a set of the new vintage 69 from summit.   am going to use them in the original configuration with the original rocker switches, washer button and brake warning light.  had to buy a routor and a hole saw but i don't need much of an excuse to buy tools.   have made several prototypes and am looking for the right white oak board to start fabrication.  i thought they were the most era appropriate.  will post pictures when i get more done.

Patronus

I've laid out aftermarket gauges a few times, never cut em in tho. Seems the 2 1/16" (IIRC) just touch each other. I kinda like the Auto-meter Z series for my  :Twocents:.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Dino

I like the vintage 69 series and the Z series, I also like the Autometer Cruiser series.  But I'm not going to stick anything like that in my cluster.  I'm only using the new gauges to get some accuracy and dependability, but will be using the stock gauge covers to keep it looking original.  It may not work but I will surely try.  At the same time I will try to fix the circuit board and calibrate the gauges but honestly I'll never know if they are accurate or not until I install some modern gauges.

Hawkeye, be sure to find good seasoned oak or it may warp.  In fact I would consider using something stable like mdf for the base and covering that in oak veneer.  It'll be much stronger, cheaper, and very easy to work with.

hawkeye

i'll look into mdf.  was originally going to inset the gauges and slightly angle them but as i was making a mock-up, i soon discovered that i didn't have that level of woodworking skill.  now i am settling for flush mounted, so a veneer would work.  thanks hawkeye

Mr. Lee

I had a cluster in my dash that had new gages on the original spots:

I have the cluster for sale, just put in your original stuff and fuell-gauge and ready.

Dino

Quote from: Mr. Lee on September 29, 2012, 09:05:48 AM
I had a cluster in my dash that had new gages on the original spots:

I have the cluster for sale, just put in your original stuff and fuell-gauge and ready.

If I would be able to cut away the flat black parts on the front of the gauges, the part that says auto gage, then I could slide the original gauge covers in front of them and make it look stock.  Can you tell how far down the needle goes?  If it's too high it won't work.

I'd ask how much you want for it but shipping from your neck of the woods would probably be a bit nuts.

Mr. Lee

Quote from: Dino on September 29, 2012, 09:33:54 AM

If I would be able to cut away the flat black parts on the front of the gauges, the part that says auto gage, then I could slide the original gauge covers in front of them and make it look stock.  Can you tell how far down the needle goes?  If it's too high it won't work.

I'd ask how much you want for it but shipping from your neck of the woods would probably be a bit nuts.

The point were the needle is mounted is just above the "o" from "Auto" so it won't work to slide the original gauge covers in front.

It will only work when you leave these gauges the way they are now, still looks clean but not original. Shipped including track & trace will be $125,-

cowboy4x4n

that looks pretty clean with the bezel on.  do you  have a pix of the backing plate holding those gauges in.