News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing rearend

Started by Crazy440, September 10, 2012, 10:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy440

Have my 8 3/4 ready to install, also new springs and shocks.  Can I drop the old rearend and old springs at the same time?
Thanks
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

chargd72

yes, but be carefull.  It's going to come down quick and heavy when you remove the hanger bolts.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

Ghoste

And you may prefer a floor jack to help lift the new assembly into position, but other than that its about the easiest way to do it. :2thumbs:

randy73

Just do not forget to disconnect the brake lines and ebrake cables.

RAC95054

Along the lines of this thread, can you replace the shackle and/or spring bushings, one at a time, without having to drop the whole rearend?  If so, should the car be in the air, or sitting on the ground?  I would assume in the air with no weight on the rear (other than it's own).  I really need to replace all my original bushings, but didn't want to drop the whole thing to do so.  Thanks!
Play: Work that you enjoy doing for nothing.   -Evan Esar

RAC95054

Quote from: RAC95054 on September 17, 2012, 06:18:39 PM
Along the lines of this thread, can you replace the shackle and/or spring bushings, one at a time, without having to drop the whole rearend?  If so, should the car be in the air, or sitting on the ground?  I would assume in the air with no weight on the rear (other than it's own).  I really need to replace all my original bushings, but didn't want to drop the whole thing to do so.  Thanks!

Bump
:cheers:

HeavyFuel

Quote from: RAC95054 on September 17, 2012, 06:18:39 PM
Along the lines of this thread, can you replace the shackle and/or spring bushings, one at a time, without having to drop the whole rearend?  If so, should the car be in the air, or sitting on the ground?  I would assume in the air with no weight on the rear (other than it's own).  I really need to replace all my original bushings, but didn't want to drop the whole thing to do so.  Thanks!

I installed my rear-end, springs and shocks a while back and it was pretty painless.

Support the car and the axle with jackstands (independently).  Unhook everything from the axle.  Unbolt the springs from the rear shackles, lower the spring away from the axle to the floor and then unhook the spring from the front mount.

Move the old axle off the jackstands, onto a creeper and out of the way.  Remove your old shocks and mount the new ones.  Keep the shocks compressed for now.

Put your new axle on creeper and slide it under the car. Lift the axle on the stands, making sure the stands are high enough so that the axle clears the springs during the spring attachment to the car.  Attach the new springs to the car, first the front mount, then the shackles (with new bushings).

Lift axle off the stands and into position on the springs.  Attach the ubolts, brake lines and cable, and shocks.

In the case of your question, I would lift the car, then take the weight off the springs by slightly lifting the axle, then proceed with the shackles and bushings.

RAC95054

Great info, HeavyFuel! Thank you!   :cheers: