News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I hate the IFR drivers as much texters!

Started by Ghoste, September 10, 2012, 08:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

You know the clowns who text while driving are getting a well deserved bad rap for being a traffic hazard but I am officially just as pissed off now with the ones driving by instrument.  I am talking about the GPS.  Three times this past weekend I was cutoff by some jerk with their face locked onto the tiny tv screen suction cupped to the windshield.  Why do so many with a GPS have to zone into the damned things and completely forget about other traffic, traffic signs, what lane they are in.  If you are that lost and you can't rely on the audible instructions the thing gives you then pull over and get a map out of the glove box and figure out where the hell you are the old fashioned way! :soapbox:

tan top

yeah i know !!
   :brickwall: :flame:  see it all the time !!!
its seems with all these moden gadgets ,  driving  & being aware of whats going on around you  is , secondary to all this electronic crap now  :rotz:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

41husk

It has to be better than trying to unfold, read a map and drive at the same time.  AAA had a map called a trip tick, it was a tablet like that you could flip pages as you went.  That was the GPS of my day :shruggy: 
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

twodko

Copy all this. It's not like these GPS don't allow enough time to make safe moves. The IFRers are too busy looking for the waypoint and not planing ahead.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Cooter

Careful Ghoste, before you know it, you'll be considered one of those "old guys" complaining about "Way back When" being better when maps were used and people actually pulled over to read 'em. :D
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

If thats the label I have to wear for not liking drivers more concerned about the 2 inch monitor on the windshield than the two ton car outside of it Cooter then an old fart I'll be.  Anything that keeps the driver from being aware of the more immediate issues in his operation of the motor vehicle is a menace.

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on September 10, 2012, 11:53:51 AM
  Anything that keeps the driver from being aware of the more immediate issues in his operation of the motor vehicle is a menace.

Ok, You better not drive that DMCL Charger around then as you will be contributing to someone in the next lane being a menace... :D ;)
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dino

You know, I realize with cell phones and gps we're seeing more of these nimrods on the road, but 'way back in the day' people were just as much focusing on anything but the road as they were trying to read a map or a newspaper WHILE DRIVING or messing around with their audio tapes.  There's just more of them now but people will be people, it'll never change.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

I see it more now than ever.  Not every driver had a map or newspaper but it seems like the poorest meth head can afford a cell phone and most of them can get a GPS as well.

JB400

That's why our insurance rates never go down. ;)

RallyeMike

There was some idiot here who recently drove his car off an embankment and blamed the GPS. Of course, the news was drawn to the story like flies to poop. Next, some do-gooder will have GPS banned to save us from ourselves.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

JB400

Quote from: RallyeMike on September 12, 2012, 12:31:34 AM
There was some idiot here who recently drove his car off an embankment and blamed the GPS. Of course, the news was drawn to the story like flies to poop. Next, some do-gooder will have GPS banned to save us from ourselves.
I'll be glad when they do.   I spent the entire drive between KC and Nevada, MO just trying to learn the thing in a 300

myk

I don't care how other drivers and whatever gadgets out there kill and maim each other, because idiots will be idiots, so as long as they stay away from my Charger and I...

JB400

Quote from: myk on September 12, 2012, 01:09:24 AM
I don't care how other drivers and whatever gadgets out there kill and maim each other, because idiots will be idiots, so as long as they stay away from my Charger and I...
LOOK OUT!!!!!!!! They're right beside you! And in front of you!  And behind you!  How's your insurance? :D
Darn, I keep it up, I'll get nightmares. >:D :sleep:

Cooter

See, but that's just it Myk. They will miss every single car on the road BUT yours. Like parking in a parking lot at the very back and some dipsh*t hits your ride.

Ghoste

Not to mention that they rarely hurt themselves.  Oh sure they may total their 97 Civic or brand new Escalade or whatever but they just get another one.

Dino

Yesterday morning while driving to work, a guy in a big sedan coming towards me was staring at the Charger.  Well guess what, you tend to go where your eyes are focusing on.  All of a sudden he came over the line and all I could do to avoid him hitting my rear quarter was to yank the steering wheel and go off road, luckily it was just grass but I slid over it in genuine Dukes style.  I didn't need that to wake up, I had coffee with me...  Yeah he didn't stop either.  I got out to make sure I didn't ruin anyone's front lawn and in that half minute I was standing there someone else travelling the same direction I was going went offroad just past my car because he too was staring at it.  WTH?????

I foresee dents and flat black paint in my car's future the way this is going.   :rotz:

Cooter

One of the guys in the club had that very thing happen. He always stated that he'd put someone in the hospital if they hit his bike ( loves it like we do a Charger). Well, one actually did. Knocked it into someone's house. Jerry was ok, but got up, walked right over to the car asked if the Guy (Kid) was ok. As soon as he answered he was "ah-ight", punched him through the window. Police asked how he hurt his Head. Dude said My buddy punched him. Cop looked at Jerry and asked him about it. He said "yeah, I hit him like he hit me. acting stupid".

I asked Him about it later on and he told me "Hell, Judge fined me $1000.00 and a day in jail for "Assault", I asked him if I give you $2000.00 now can I hit him again?" Judge didn't think it was all that funny he said...
:lol:

Ghoste

Thats what Cooter said earlier, our cars are a distracting menace as well.

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on September 12, 2012, 06:45:40 AM
Is that why they are supposed to be orange with an 01, or is that because it's orange and has an 01?  :nana:

Ghoste

Are you baiting me?  I'm trying not to be a GL hater anymore you know. :lol:

JB400

Not at all.  Not unless you have fish hooks sticking out the side of your mouth, nose, eye brows, or wherever else that these people younger than me put them.  :eek2: :lol:  Just had to throw in my  :Twocents: maybe with a nickel.  But in regards to our earlier debates, it's all fun ;D

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on September 12, 2012, 06:45:40 AM
Not at all.  People just need to concentrate more at what they're doing.  Of course, if more people would take on a classic car project and get more people to drive them, then we could blend in more better and we wouldn't be the cause of someone losing their attention span off of eating, drinking, phone call, makeup, or what ever else they're doing that they ain't supposed to.

Ghoste

I wonder if driving the modern appliance version of the car has coddled drivers so much that they are no longer cognizant of what they are doing?  Or people are stupider?  Or just because there are more of them out there than at one time?  Likely all three.

Dino

There are so many damn distractions in cars these days they are just asking for trouble.  It's funny that all car commercials focus on the electronic crap in them but nothing on drivetrain.  On most of these cars I have no clue what engine or trans you can even get in them.