News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is Pro Street dead?

Started by Ghoste, September 07, 2012, 08:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on September 08, 2012, 09:10:44 AM
Between all of the tubbed cars, burnouts, booze, weed and boob flashing teenage girls it was a great time.

You can take the tubbed cars and burnouts honestly, I'll keep the rest.  No need for cars when you have all that laying around!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

MAKdaddy

Resurrecting this thread on my lunch hour due to boredom.

I'm glad to see Pro Street is dead. Too many otherwise valuable cars were lost to back halving so the car could take turns like a Ford 8N farm tractor.

See ya later to 18" MT steam rollers, tacky paint jobs, and women in fluorescent pink pumps, onesie swimsuits, and peroxide-blonde perm's held fast with Aquanet hairspray.

Some stuff belongs in the past for a reason.

Give me sequential multi-port, sticky tires (all near the same size), and sway bars bigger around than my leg any day over Pro-poser!

1972 Charger 440 Rallye Red
1995 Chevy C1500 5.3 LSx Swap
1991 Honda CRX Uber-Miler

Ghoste

I'll wager that stuff will become passe soon enough too.  No guesses as to what the next popular method of customizing will be though.

68pplcharger

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on September 07, 2012, 02:11:20 PM
Quote from: Indygenerallee on September 07, 2012, 10:17:47 AM
I never cared for the pro street look myself.  :Twocents:

Thats ok, it is an age group profiling anyway. :2thumbs: :smilielol: :smilielol:  

Ok I am now profiled (again) I am a product of the 80-90s and still like them, just do not own one.  

I'm with you on that one XS29LA47V21... I prefer building a real race car, then make it street legal. The turbo's and blowers today allow tons of horsepower with drivability that wasn't available in the 80's and 90's. For that matter Pro-touring(before it had a name) was always on everyone's mind back then(at least mine) but overdrive was hard to come by that could handle power.  :Twocents:

I always wanted both

polywideblock

yes thank god that horrible pro street scene and the crowd they attracted is gone  ::)  

now we can have these and the REAL classy crowd they attract instead  :yesnod:

give me a bombshell blond with her boobies out leaning against a super charged hemi ANY day ,1982 what a blast  :smoke: :drunk:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Kern Dog

Pro street cars were like a guy with a 3 inch member taping a kielbasa sausage to his thigh and wearing tight pants. When the time comes to perform, you're always making excuses.

Old Moparz

I liked them back in the 80's & still do.   :icon_smile_big:   The reason being, is that a lot of the Mopars had ABSOLUTELY NO AFTERMARKET PARTS AVAILABLE so fabricating what you needed was what the prostreet cars fit into.

One of the most memorable cars I can recall is the one that Rick Dobberton built. It was an all out show car from a Pontiac J2000.  :shruggy:

I hated that particular car in general, but what this guy did to the car was insane & a work of art. I did want to tub a car I had back then, but thankfully I was broke & couldn't.  :lol:  I liked the idea of improving what you could & the protouring seems to be more practical.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

daveco

Rick Dobberton...
Didn't he try to float a milk tanker across the Pacific or something like that?

Yup, that's the guy: http://www.dobbertinhydrocar.com/Dobbertin%20Surface%20Orbiter.html
R/Tree

super77se

I don't think its completely dead , people are still out there building them. the 70's street freak scene was taken over by the pro street scene after they figured out how to narrow a rear end and intall tubs   :rofl:

Mike DC

I have never understood how Pro-Steet backhalf jobs on the chassis were the "right" way to install huge tires, and cutting out wider wheelwells was "hackwork."  Back-halving hacks the body up far worse.  I doubt there is any real performance improvement over a wider rear axle.   And Pro-Street backhalf setups look equally goofy to the average person.

The Pro-street trend caused thousands of classic cars to be irreversibly converted to drag-only usage.  In most cases it just wasn't necessary.    

Having said all that, IMO it's comical what some of the Pro Touring guys say about Pro Street cars being impractical.  The PT hobby includes plenty of cars with 3" ground clearance, rubber-band tires, $17,000 paintjobs, and drum brakes underneath it all.  There is nothing real-world about any of that.  

I think the old car magazine press & high-end custom world is guilty of overly pushing the PT trend because of location.  They are centered in SoCal where roads are wide & flat & smooth.  For the last 20 years they have been mystified about why their "totally streetable" PT look hasn't totally replaced the PS look.  Many of those PT setups wouldn't last 5 minutes on the roads outside the desert states.    

el dub

I like the look of fat tires and wheels tucked under. But just by moving the springs in to the frame rails would do it for me. Not hacking up the back end and using even larger tires and wheels.   
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Lennard

Quote from: Kern Dog on June 12, 2015, 07:44:00 PM
Pro street cars were like a guy with a 3 inch member taping a kielbasa sausage to his thigh and wearing tight pants. When the time comes to perform, you're always making excuses.
Not always...the street legal '70 in the pic I've posted on the first page does low tens in the quarter mile.

DixieRestoParts

I wasn't into Pro Street much after 17 yrs old.  But, if I found one today as a time capsule, I'd probably leave it that way. I could never afford those expensive mods. Today Pro Touring doesn't do much for me either. I can understand improving the handling, but when you put 22" inch wheels and low profile tires on, you lose me.

As I've gotten older, I do like to see cars done up as Day 2 hot rods. I even took the Steel Wheels off my Charger and put slots back on to re-live some of the days of my youth for awhile. At least until I get tired of the slots again. I also added a "engine tuned" colored license plate I bought at Honest Charlie's Speedshop in Chattanooga, TN in 1983. It had sat in my closet for all these years.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

polywideblock

here's one for the "older " members ,remember when there was just stock or modified and they were all called "street machines ".  :woohoo:

what about the 11 second street animal club  :scratchchin: 

yeah I know I'm showing my age  :yesnod:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

charger_fan_4ever

That 68 looks pretty hot to me :drool5:

a little less tire be even better. We need the pic of the black 70 hemi charger with the trunk rack and fat tires. :2thumbs:

6spd68

What's worse than a poorly done Pro Street car?  A Gasser!

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/oshawa-durham-region/1968-firebird-gasser/1089451655?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I know most of you hate GM cars, but as CAR GUYS; that's gotta hurt on some level...  :icon_smile_dissapprove:
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

myk

Is that car even set up properly as a gasser?  Front end looks way too low, rear too high...

Lennard

The "real" gassers had only the front in the air on a straight axle to move much weight of the car to the rear to give the rear tires more traction. The Pontiac is not a gasser. I don't know what it is... :scratchchin:

68pplcharger

Quote from: Lennard on September 09, 2015, 06:04:34 PM
The "real" gassers had only the front in the air on a straight axle to move much weight of the car to the rear to give the rear tires more traction. The Pontiac is not a gasser. I don't know what it is... :scratchchin:

Poor attempt at a 4 wheel drive minus the front diff...  :scratchchin:

HPP

They needed all that ground clearance for the extra long exhaust pipe. It kept dragging on the ground, so they kept lifting until it cleared.

Ghoste

Lennard

Quote from: Ghoste on September 11, 2015, 05:47:06 AM
Looks more like a 4X4.
Looks, yes...but it has the features of a drag racer. Four link suspension, slicks and a straight front axle. :scratchchin: