News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is Pro Street dead?

Started by Ghoste, September 07, 2012, 08:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

And I think it largely is personally.  I still see it being done to F-body GM products and the occasional Fox bodied Mustang but the Mopar crowd seem to have gotten over this trend.  The Chrysler guys look like they are all doing the Pro Touring bit now.
After it was all said and done, how many of those Pro Street cars do you think ever actually made full bore dragstrip passes?

HPP

I don't know that I'd say it is dead, but it certainly is significantly reduced. There are still a sub set of enthusiasts who like the purpose built drag appearance of the pro street genre. My brother still salivates over them, but he can bring himself to tub his Charger to do it. I do still see some of them at the drags, but rarely see any dedicated street versions.

At its height, I'd be willing to bet no more than 10-15% of the built cars ever made a drag pass. I'd bet the same money on the pro-touring guys now as well. There is just a segment of the automotive that wants to have the latest stuff, whether they use it as intended or not. IMO, 50% of the pro-touring crowd is simply 18" wheels with 35 series tires and nothing else. I'd be willing to bet 75% of all touring builds will never see a road course or autocross. The upside of pro touring over pro street is at least the touring approach makes them a more street usable vehicle.

Indygenerallee

I never cared for the pro street look myself.  :Twocents:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

GOTWING

come to ocean city MD. oct. 4-7th and see for yourself ! UMMMM NO  :2thumbs:

Cooter

Lemme see, I need to spend over $4000.00 to APPEAR like my junk runs 7's 1/4 mile, when yet, a Fox Body Mustang with 8" tires leaves on the rear bumper and runs a full 3 seconds quicker than my "Pro" car....

Yeah, Pro street was/is/always will be a "looks" thing at best. Did i have one? Sure did. Tubbed out 1969 Chevelle with a 454 and 4-speed. Did I make ANY 1/8th mile passes in it? Nope...Because it would spin if a cow pissed on the road. All show and no go...Were those huge tires why it sold? Sure was.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Indygenerallee

Built notchback stangs are pretty nasty!!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: Indygenerallee on September 07, 2012, 10:17:47 AM

Thats ok, it is an age group profiling anyway. :2thumbs: :smilielol: :smilielol: 

Ok I am now profiled (again) I am a product of the 80-90s and still like them, just do not own one. 

moparstuart

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on September 07, 2012, 02:11:20 PM
Quote from: Indygenerallee on September 07, 2012, 10:17:47 AM

Thats ok, it is an age group profiling anyway. :2thumbs: :smilielol: :smilielol: 

Ok I am now profiled (again) I am a product of the 80-90s and still like them, just do not own one. 
i'm from that time and never liked them  ,  Some pro touring are growing on me   :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Brass

I think Pro-Street went the way of Street-Freak before it.  Never cared for it much anyway.

Scaregrabber

I'd say it was dead about 15 years ago. I used to like picking on those cars with my stock looking musclecars and just kicking them to the curb.

Sheldon

Lennard

My buddies Pro street Charger... alive and kickin'! :drive:

Mike DC

The entire Pro Street trend was an imitation of the hugely popular Pro Stock and "flopper" funnycars from the early/mid 1970s.  The trend has faded as the popularity of the inspiration has faded somewhat.  

JB400

It's called pro touring today.  Same cars bigger rims, more subtle paint schemes.   :coolgleamA:

Cooter

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 08, 2012, 06:39:35 AM
It's called pro touring today.  Same cars bigger rims, more subtle paint schemes.   :coolgleamA:

HUGE difference between purpose built "Drag" suspensions and those Big wheel'd, Huge braked, Low riding, Air bagged, "Pro-Touring" rides.

Same cars, same big money for something that "Appears" to be "Race" ready though.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Daytona R/T SE

I really liked "Pro Street" cars for one drunken, stoned weekend at the Car Craft nationals back in 1982.

Between all of the tubbed cars, burnouts, booze, weed and boob flashing teenage girls it was a great time.

Now, the booze and the weed are gone, Those teenage girls are grandmas, and "Pro street" cars just look silly to me.

Ghoste

1982 was a good era wasn't it?

Charger4404spd

Quote from: Ghoste on September 08, 2012, 09:16:30 AM
1982 was a good era wasn't it?

Sure was. High school, hot rods, girls, boobs, weed and cold beer  :2thumbs:
I miss those days! :cheers:

bill440rt

'82 was great. I was a kid, just getting into cars.
I liked the Pro Street thing for a while. Never owned one, I was just too young. But, times change. Styles change. Tastes change.
Like anything else, some of them still look cool. Some don't.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

rt green

is pro street dead? god i hope so
third string oil changer

JB400

Quote from: Cooter on September 08, 2012, 07:13:49 AM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 08, 2012, 06:39:35 AM

HUGE difference between purpose built "Drag" suspensions and those Big wheel'd, Huge braked, Low riding, Air bagged, "Pro-Touring" rides.

Same cars, same big money for something that "Appears" to be "Race" ready though.
I think we had that import invasion in  the 90's and people started getting bored just going in a straight line.  So you pull the wheels off an import, change the shocks and springs, loose the crazy paint, and move the supercharger under the hood, and what do you get?  Now we put the crazy paint on the imports and in the Truckin magazine.

67440chrg

I use to realy like them and still do like to see one over a Pro touring. It brings back good old memeries. I wouldnt put mine in that class but I got a award last year for best pro street. I guess it was just diffrent than all the over done GM products at the show.

Ghoste

I wouldn't put yours there either.  Whatever I guess huh?

Cooter

I usually antiquate "Pro Street" with 15"X14" Rear wheels, and 15"X3/12" Front runners, and HUGE 31X18.5X15" Mickey Thompson's..

Ghoste

Gotta back halve the car and put in a four link with a cage and a blower too though. :lol:

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on September 10, 2012, 11:55:08 AM
Gotta back halve the car and put in a four link with a cage and a blower too though. :lol:

No, cause I've seen too many with moved leaf springs, Jungle Jim Roll cages, And A Stock 350 SBC in 'em, with those huge rear tires.