News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Inner axle seal?

Started by Crazy440, September 06, 2012, 10:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy440

Never installed inner axle seals. Which side of the seal goes in first? And how do I install, without buying the installation tool?
Thanks

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.

A383Wing

the bottom picture goes in first...you should see a little spring in there, that goes towards the center of differential

note: pack the inside of the seal with grease before installing, the grease will stop the little spring from popping out when you drive it in with seal or a race installer

Bryan  (don't ask how I know this)

Crazy440

The seal goes in the end of the axle tube, correct?
Plus, I don't see a spring.  These came with a Green bearing set.  And as you can see, in the pic., no spring.
Thanks
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.

randy73

No spring and yes they go in the tube. When you take the axle out you will see a little ridge about 2.5-3" inside the tube. The seal butts up to the ridge, with hollow side facing inside.

471_Magnum

They are a little tough to remove since the are.so far in the tube.

I just got done replacing the outer seal and bearing on one side. I'll be doing the inner seal before.reinstalling the axle. What a PITA getting that bearing off...  I'll wait until the other side leaks before I mess with it.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."