News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

paint job

Started by hawkeye, September 06, 2012, 10:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkeye

i am going to have my car repainted in about 10 days.  right now it is a rolling chassis with only the doors and trunk lid attached.  the front lower valance, hood and hinges and front fenders are off.  any suggestions on what to put on or take off the car?  the car is currently painted in some gm color but i'm going for burnt orange. thanks hawkeye

Dino

Quote from: hawkeye on September 06, 2012, 10:28:15 AM
i am going to have my car repainted in about 10 days.  right now it is a rolling chassis with only the doors and trunk lid attached.  the front lower valance, hood and hinges and front fenders are off.  any suggestions on what to put on or take off the car?  the car is currently painted in some gm color but i'm going for burnt orange. thanks hawkeye

That's a question for the body shop.  They 'should' have all the panels installed before paint but they may want them off to do the prep work.  I know I would preffer to have the hood off just so I have better reach to sand and prep.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

6pkrtse

I kind of like it the way it is. It's different. The more you pull off of it the better the paint job will turn out.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 6pkrtse on September 06, 2012, 11:20:39 AM
I kind of like it the way it is. It's different. The more you pull off of it the better the paint job will turn out.

Me too. Different odd colors seem to get more attention. :Twocents:

ChgrSteve67

I left the hood off my Charger when it was painted and when I got it back the hood was a shade darker then the rest of the car.
They obviously painted it with a different mix of paint.

ACUDANUT

Paint the hood flat/matte black. :shruggy:

JB400

Quote from: ACUDANUT on September 07, 2012, 09:23:47 AM
Paint the hood flat/matte black. :shruggy:
Top of the fenders and cowl too.   leave the indents body color. :coolgleamA:

bill440rt

Quote from: Dino on September 06, 2012, 10:54:52 AM
Quote from: hawkeye on September 06, 2012, 10:28:15 AM

That's a question for the body shop.  They 'should' have all the panels installed before paint but they may want them off to do the prep work.  I know I would preffer to have the hood off just so I have better reach to sand and prep.

I agree.
It will differ between shop to shop. I know some shops around here that will paint vehicles apart even in collision work.
Depending on the color (and the shop), some may prefer to paint the panels off the car, others on the car. You may want to leave it assembled in that photo just so the shop can see how the panels fit. If anything, the shop may prefer to pre-fit the rest of the panels on the car before they paint it. Then, fully disassemble it to prep all the panels properly.
Burnt orange is one of those finicky metallics that the shop may prefer to shoot the outside of the car assembled. Or, if painted off the car at least hang the body panels vertically or lay them horizontally as they fit on the car.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce