News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carshow music

Started by SmashingPunkFan, September 06, 2012, 08:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaak

No music is fine for me....I go to car shows to look at cars and chat with other car guys, not to listen to music.

Jason

Fred

I don't care what they play. I don't hear it. I concentrate on the cars and stalls (and occassionally the mrs. ha ha!) and am oblivious to everything else. A bit like tunnel vision.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

c00nhunterjoe

Man, you guys need to attend the cruises near me. Seems like you guys have all the horror stories. Our djs have decent speakers, never repeat the songs, and don't deafen you with noise(unless you are standing in front of the speakers...lol).

oldcarnut

Variety is good but I'm with most others on volume controll.  What I can't stand is shows that have provided music but participants take it upon themselves to play their own at elevated levels or louder than the next guy like everyone will think they got much cooler music than the next row guy and the show lets it go on.  Having to hear the ghetto crap or similar blasting with un-family friendly language assaulting the ears and vibrating the sheet metal makes me wish I had an electronic gizmo to push a button and cause the speakers to blow.  Same effect at gas stations when someone will park at the pump with the volume 40 times the normal hearing requirements and leaves it blaring while walking into the store.

chargermike

i played in a band that played a car show...it sucks..people go to look at cars..not hear a band. glad i left that band. i like just playing at bars and events..bands and car shows dont mix real well...and its time to at least play classic rock..so sick of just 50's music at car shows....but then i am a metal head...i go to see cars and talk to people. and i like to play loud so car shows suck...cant turn it up. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Cooter

Hmmmm, Let's see...Everybody's tired of the "Car hop", 1950's oldies. Car hops began in the 50's.
Trouble with playing "New stuff" is, while I don't wanna hear "Mustang Sally" fifteen times, I certainly don't wanna hear any "Little Wayne" either. I get enough of that from the idiot that thinks a car show needs to include HUGE stereo's in the back of his Lowered 1999 Chevy pick up, With DVD player and fifty TV screens blasting Some Movie or "New age" Hip Hop music that would be better suited for a strip club.

Can't please 'em all, but If I had my choice gimme the 1950's music. just make it more obstract music from the 50's... Oddball stuff, like "Big" Bill Haley, or Johnny Horton, etc.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Chryco Psycho

I am in for the death metal  :2thumbs:
Next choice is nothing , you will never please everyone no matter what you play , country will get me leaving fast

c00nhunterjoe

Just got home from a cruise. Good turnout. Had a live band! Not used to having a band. I must say I am impressed.  Great setup, incredible sound. Volume was nice. You could hear them across the whole lot and field. They played everything from golden oldies to modern rock. Loved hearing summer of 69, one of the best live covers I have ever heard.  Ended the night with enter sandman.  I could stand to have tha band play every cruise.

Kern Dog

I sometimes think that car shows are the ONLY social outlet for some people, and some of these people are really stuck in a time warp.
The 50s music is okay in moderation. Play some 60s and 70s stuff too.
L O S E  the crying dolls that people lean against the bumpers !! What the hell are they supposed to represent anyway? The huge amaount of money spent on the car? I can also do without the 6 foot Wile E Coyote or Road Runner dolls as well. Indoor car shows: The car leaned up on jackstands with mirrors underneath WAS original 30 years ago. I DO like the displays with period correct posters behind the car on walls. I've seen cars sitting on leveled out piles of small rocks. Not sure what it means but I like the look.

TK73

SICK of the Beach Boys type stuff at shows!!   :brickwall: :brickwall:

Dig hitting Rat Rod shows up here Cuz I like the cars and they don't do the BB crap.  Not much on Rockabilly but its a change
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Mytur Binsdirti

Tilar

Quote from: chargerboy69 on September 06, 2012, 10:03:07 AM
As some of the older generation stops attending the shows, it would be nice to update the music a bit.

Hey I resemble that remark.   :slap:

I guess they could step up into the 70's and 80's a bit, But then they will have to have those year cars included in the show, and I cant think of any 80's or later cars that are worth bringing to a car show.  :nana:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Ghoste

Do you think they get tired of hip hop at the tuner shows?

Ponch ®

Quote from: Ghoste on September 09, 2012, 04:27:02 PM
Do you think they get tired of hip hop at the tuner shows?

yep...nowadays it's all about dubstep.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Ghoste

Dubstep?  You got me with that one Ponch.  I'll google it but I'm betting it will be something a white male 70's rocker is going to dismiss as rap.

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on September 09, 2012, 05:14:36 PM
Dubstep?  You got me with that one Ponch.  I'll google it but I'm betting it will be something a white male 70's roacker is going to dismiss as rap.

Punk kids trying to create something new. Gimme the 50's rock and roll compared to this...Mike Jackson was doing this in 1983.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504784_162-20111243-10391705.html
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ponch ®

Dubstep?  You got me with that one Ponch.  I'll google it but I'm betting it will be something a white male 70's rocker is going to dismiss as rap.

its more like disco / raver music on steroids meth. It's starting to grow on me. I mean, it's no "Exile on Main Street", but in certain situations / moods it's fun to blast. Like at a party with a bunch of drunk chicks, or during a workout. I like it cuz it kinda reminds me of those cool video game sound effects on Atari or Nintendo games.

Check this out, it's by Skrillex...the big name in the genre right now. Give it a try...you just may like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJVmu6yttiw

And this one you may have heard on the HP laptop commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUsRDDyxvKg&feature=fvst

Quote from: Cooter on September 09, 2012, 05:22:18 PM

Punk kids trying to create something new. Gimme the 50's rock and roll compared to this...Mike Jackson was doing this in 1983.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504784_162-20111243-10391705.html

yes, and Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis were just punk kids trying to do something knew, if you asked someone of your age back in 1955.

I've never been one to summarily dismiss a type of music just because it's new or it's different than what I usually listen to. I never wanna become one of those "way back when" old guys who think everything new sucks, and everything was so much better back then. For me, my "back then' is the mid-90s. I had a moment of clarity about becoming that guy when I was talking to my 14 year cousin about the stuff he listens to and I caught myself saying something like "There hasn't been anything good since Soundgarden broke up". I went like "oh shit..."

Things change, and sometimes they get better. Sometimes theyre not better than what we already know, but at least theyre different and simply fun to listen to. It's how I feel about rap and now this dubstep stuff. Just because I listen to Skrillex doesn't mean I can't like Zep or the Stones anymore. I just add it to my repertoire. It's what makes the world go round, man. Otherwise youre missing out on a lot of things based simply on what you think you know.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Old Moparz

Damn, even I know what Dubstep is.  :lol:

Quote from: Ponch ® on September 09, 2012, 09:33:54 PM

Check this out, it's by Skrillex...the big name in the genre right now. Give it a try...you just may like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJVmu6yttiw

And this one you may have heard on the HP laptop commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUsRDDyxvKg&feature=fvst

First one I liked.   :2thumbs:

The second one I only gave 20 seconds, I never cared for the singing chipmunks.  :eek2:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Cooter

It's what makes the world go round, man. Otherwise youre missing out on a lot of things based simply on what you think you know.
BTW: I grew up in the late 70's early 80's...There were no such thing as school shootings then. No such thing as students having sex with teachers then. No students getting pregnant before graduation...Remind me again why "Way back when" was not nessesarily better?

I know what I like and this just happens to be something I don't. I'm never gonna be one of those guys that trys everything simply because it's "New", or because I want to try and re-live my youth with the younger croud. I make the younger croud want to re-live the Dare I say it? "Better" days of old. If you can't get with my kind of car show music, be it Jerry Lee Lewis, or Sound Garden (Of which I can't stand. Music for me has to have a DEEP R&B mainly Blues for me to like it. Zepplin only had a handful of songs That cater to my tastes. Some being "Sick Again", And I think it's called "Black woman blues" or something. Side II of A. G. I like this because basically, "Boogie with Stu" was nothing more than a rendition of the original by Richie Valens' "Ooh My head".), then your loss.

There will always be those who put down most anything from the 70's and 80's as well as the 50's when secretly, they tend to like it. I happen to love IROC Camaro's and 1977 Trans Am's. Does this mean I refuse to like anything from the 2000's? No, it simply means I prefer what I grew up on. I even happen to like some of the "Disco" from the 70's, but this is just another fad like Breakdancing was in 1984. Comes and goes. Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry will out last many of the music and dance these new age people are listing to, as it was them who "taught" these. Personally, when i go to a car show, I don't wanna hear any Dark, demented,  grunge rock songs like "Black hole sun". NOT car crusing music if you ask me. Car cruise music should make you feel like driving/having fun and that type music doesn't for me. Same thing with Speed Metal/death/thrash metal. Can't stand the stuff. Too stressing. Makes me wanna go out and beat the hell outta someone. Not my thing. But! If we didn't have at least something playing in the background, all you would hear if the two drunk guys/gals trying to be popular by starting a fight.
At least with music, it sooths the beasts so to speak. I know because we had a couple with no DJ and this is exactly what happens. Someone overhears someone else talking sh*t and before you know it, one's car is faster than the others, or someone makes a comment about someone elses' paint job, and here we go.

TK73

I wanted to do some car club meetings at a strip joint up here... hair metal and TaTa's !!
Nobody thought I was serious though... :shruggy:

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Ghoste

Old Moparz what can I say, I don't get out much and I live in the remote wilds of the Great White North.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Cooter on September 09, 2012, 10:30:17 PM

It's what makes the world go round, man. Otherwise youre missing out on a lot of things based simply on what you think you know.
BTW: I grew up in the late 70's early 80's...There were no such thing as school shootings then. No such thing as students having sex with teachers then. No students getting pregnant before graduation...Remind me again why "Way back when" was not nessesarily better?

the good old days re a myth. There was always something screwed up going on at whatever time "was the good old days", we just choose to ignore it.

There were school shootings in the 70's, except back then you read about it in the paper, felt bad and moved on. Nowadays the shooting happens, and we have the internet, CNN, Fox, MSNBC, talking about it for weeks after it happens, trying to learn more about the "alleged" shooter and we learn that he had a bed wetting problem as a kid.

No teen pregnancies? Are you telling me that kids weren't playing hide the salami back then? All those songs about "the backseat of the car"? When a teen girl got pregnant back then, she wasn't even allowed to go back to school in most instances, so she ended up spinning it into some type of "I'm marrying my high school sweetheart"  fairy tale and they lived miserably for the next 30 years.

So when were the good old days?

the 50s? Let's see...Korea, fear of the bomb, separate drinking fountains...

the 60's? the Cuban Missile crisis, bomb shelters, JFK/RFK/MLK assassinations, hippies, Charles Manson

your idyllic 70s? Vietnam, Watergate, energy crisis, Disco  :o, John Wayne Gacy, Iran hostages, Ted Bundy, Jonestown...

Well then it must be the 80's...oh wait - Iran-Contras, Black Monday, Panama, the Ayatohlla, Toto, K-Cars, Jeffrey Dahmer....

Then it must be MY era...the 90's. Then again, there was the Gulf War, the L.A. riots, Heaven's Gate, the OKC bombing, Columbine...

How about the 00's? 9-11 and Hannah Montana. Enough said.

We didn't start the fire...

Dunno man...the thing about "the good old days" is that it makes you long for a past that wasn't really all that great, and at the same time makes you look only at the bad, not the good things that we have now.

Ghoste

The more they change the more they stay the same.  Funny how humans bitch about the right now and gloss ovver the past.  I'm guilty too but I try not to be.  Still do it but I try.
However I stand firm on my complaint about GPS abuse getting lumped in with texting.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Ghoste on September 10, 2012, 12:20:11 PM
The more they change the more they stay the same.  Funny how humans bitch about the right now and gloss ovver the past.  I'm guilty too but I try not to be.  Still do it but I try.
However I stand firm on my complaint about GPS abuse getting lumped in with texting.

well, "back in the good ol' days" it was some guy with his head buried in one of those impossible to fold back road maps that usually almost did you in...

Ponch ®

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on September 07, 2012, 11:17:42 PM
I sometimes think that car shows are the ONLY social outlet for some people, and some of these people are really stuck in a time warp.

that reminds me of a funny story (back on the subject of car show music / DJs).

About two years ago, our LX club was invited to do a car show at a venue (an RV park / campground) that usually hosts classic / street rodder shows. I guess they wanted to bring on the modern element or something. Let me emphasize the "invited" part, lest anyone think we "crashed the party". Now mind you, one of the cool things about the new car scene, is that we have a pretty diverse group - we have 60 year old white guys that talk about "bling"  and do stuff to their cars that would make Pimp My Ride look moderate (24 inch chrome wheels, 20 TVs, neon lights) and 18 year old latino and black kids that have non blinged out supercharged 6.1 HEMIS. You get the idea.

So anyway, we get to the show, get parked and hang out. the DJ, wearing a hawaiian shirt and straw hat, of course, is playing the 50's-60's doowop stuff. Older white guy, in his 50's-60's. Judging by the sound quality, the equipment must have been from the 50's as well. Most of us don't really care because we mostly just bullshit and rag on each other at car shows, but we occasionally make a comment like "play some Lil' Wayne". To his credit, the DJ was a really nice guy and a good sport about it. Kinda went back and forth all night, but it was all in good fun.

Finally, it's time to hand out awards and raffle prizes. This is where the "stuck in a time warp" element comes into play. Hands out a couple of trophies or prizes, and then one of guys, a black guy wins something. So the DJ goes "oh cool...a brother won something". We're all like "ummmm..". A little later, a Latino guy wins something, and he does the "Hola amigo..." spanish butchering thing that white people do. Then another guy, who is part black and part white, wins...so he goes up and DJ is like "congrats...wait..you a brother? can't tell..haha". So then its time to take a group picture of the winners, and they're all lining up. The black guys happen to be taller, so they just instinctively stand behind the other winners for the pic...and DJ goes "yeah, the brothers in the back, cmon!".

Now, none of us really thought "damn, that guy is racist"; we realized he didn't mean any harm. Like I said earlier, super nice guy and friendly towards everyone all evening. But the reaction was more of a "damn...this guy that out of touch?"