News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carshow music

Started by SmashingPunkFan, September 06, 2012, 08:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmashingPunkFan

What kind of music would you expect to hear, or like to hear at a carshow?
Newer? classic oldies? Modern rock?

Just looking for feed back  :popcrn:
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV.
Projects:
1970 Dodge Charger SE (Main Project)
1973 Dodge Charger 400 cid. (Work in progress)
1988 Mustang 2.3 liter 4 cyl.

Looking for Seat tracks for bucket seats.

Ghoste

For most part I don't much care if they have music at a car show.  If they do, my bigger concern is that its at a low volume.

Aero426

Quote from: SmashingPunkFan on September 06, 2012, 08:57:47 AM
What kind of music would you expect to hear, or like to hear at a carshow?
Newer? classic oldies? Modern rock?

Just looking for feed back  :popcrn:

A little death metal in the morning can be refreshing. 

Indygenerallee

QuoteA little death metal in the morning can be refreshing. 
:lol: :smilielol:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Old Moparz

Quote from: Ghoste on September 06, 2012, 09:06:31 AM
For most part I don't much care if they have music at a car show.  If they do, my bigger concern is that its at a low volume.

Same here, it's pretty annoying to have to yell over loud music to talk to other car owners. As far as the type of music, a mix of all genres is better than being subjected to hours of Oldies, Doo Wop or Narly Surfin' stuff.

There is a monthly cruise by me that has a different theme every month that has a DJ or a live band. The turn out is good & it's a nice show. The problem is, the DJ is absolutely oblivious to the fact that his sound system sucks. He turns up the volume high enough to further distort it to where it's painful to be anywhere near it.  :eek2:

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate music at high volumes, I just think there is a time & place for it. I guess I'm also a snob when it comes to sound quality & would turn a crappy system off completely rather than listen to one.  :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Ghoste

Exactly, there are plenty of AM radios at a classic car event with 2 watt speakers that can find an oldies station somewhere if you want to listen to distorted crackling.

STIG

Just play some Beach Boys and be done with it  :coolgleamA:
1969 Dodge Charger 'General Lee', 440 Six-Pack, Genuine Big Block, R/T SE

From way down South in the land of Kiwis.

chargerboy69

For most part I don't much care if they have music at a car show.  If they do, my bigger concern is that its at a low volume.

I agree, I hate screaming while trying to talk over Little GTO.

As some of the older generation stops attending the shows, it would be nice to update the music a bit.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Indygenerallee

Just don't play any Justin Bieber....

Ghoste

Chargerboy, you hit another good point, it's nearly impossible to please everyone at a show.  No matter what you play someone is going to whine loudly about the "crappy" choice in music.

chargerboy69

Well, some of the older crowd is no longer attending and a younger crowd is moving in.  By younger I am talking 30's. . . 40's.  Most in that age range were not raised on the Beach Boys. It may be time to update the music selection.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Ghoste

I understand exactly what you're saying.  The older ones that are still there will start complaining about it not fitting the era or some similar thing.  With a broad cross section of people it is just not possible to have music that will appeal to each generation.  Music is too personal an art form to the listener and in general people will get stuck in whatever era they came of age.  It's the sooundtrack to the best years of their lives and they just don't want to listen to much else.  Thats my opinion anyway.
It's a tough call really.

Old Moparz

Maybe part of the problem is the same that happens with other things. People get hung up on "tradition" without deciding on what it is that they actually enjoy. Some traditions are totally antiquated & simply drive people nuts like all the bad music at weddings. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that nobody I know ever ever gets married.  :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Aero426

My favorite cruise night uses a couple of different live bands, and good ones too.     Pretty much playing 60's to 80's rock.     But you might hear some Johnny Cash too.       It is actually enjoyable to listen to and a reason to get me to want to go.

What I can't stand anymore is the traditional Doo Wop DJ stuff.  It is like hearing Old Time Rock and Roll at a wedding.    Most car show music becomes white noise, which I guess is ok.   On the other hand, I was at one local show recently where they did not have enough speakers and if you were too close to the ones they had, it was just too loud.  

bill440rt

Ha! My friends & I discuss this all the time.  :rofl:
There seems to be an epidemic of '50's DJ's at all the local shows here in Jersey. IMHO, I think a good variety mix that is at least car oriented will get the job done. Can't please everyone at the show with one genre, so if they could at least mix it up it would be better.
If I am subjected to an entire day of Ramma-lamma-ding-dong, Doo-wop-bop-she-bop, Beep-bop-a-loo-bop, Dip-da-dip-de-dip, or Who put the bomp in the bomp-de-dom-de-domp I think I will shove an ice pick in my ear.  :brickwall:     I can appreciate & tolerate '50's music, just not an entire day of it.

I can relate to the over-driven, crappy PA systems as well.
Just a nice mix of music at an audible level would do just fine. Or, don't play it at all.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Indygenerallee

QuoteIf I am subjected to an entire day of Ramma-lamma-ding-dong, Doo-wop-bop-she-bop, Beep-bop-a-loo-bop, Dip-da-dip-de-dip, or Who put the bomp in the bomp-de-dom-de-domp I think I will shove an ice pick in my ear.
:lol: :smilielol: :lol: :rofl:

GOTWING

Everyone i attend seems to have the old 50's music that i do not like! :eek2: i do like the beach boys i guess from the early 60's as far as what i like, newer country or 70's 80's classic rock,top 40. :2thumbs:

chargerboy69

Quote from: bill440rt on September 06, 2012, 10:44:54 AM
Ha! My friends & I discuss this all the time.  :rofl:
There seems to be an epidemic of '50's DJ's at all the local shows here in Jersey. IMHO, I think a good variety mix that is at least car oriented will get the job done. Can't please everyone at the show with one genre, so if they could at least mix it up it would be better.
If I am subjected to an entire day of Ramma-lamma-ding-dong, Doo-wop-bop-she-bop, Beep-bop-a-loo-bop, Dip-da-dip-de-dip, or Who put the bomp in the bomp-de-dom-de-domp I think I will shove an ice pick in my ear.  :brickwall:     I can appreciate & tolerate '50's music, just not an entire day of it.

I can relate to the over-driven, crappy PA systems as well.
Just a nice mix of music at an audible level would do just fine. Or, don't play it at all.

Well said.

I attended one show this year, just one.  During the show the DJ put on the Grease soundtrack and just let it play.  :o

I left 4 hours early.

--Gerald Ford

twodko

The move to an overall mix of tunes would be a nice change.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

GOTWING

c00nhunterjoe

I hope that at 28 (at least for a few more days), I'm not lumped into the "old guy" crowd yet. I would much rather hear the classic rock and older music at shows.  You start playing the "yo yo yo, homie shot my brutha's dog, gonna pop a cap in heeze ass" and I'm out.

SmashingPunkFan

Nice... lol slipknot, the blister exists was my opener! (joking)
I love all kinds of music, it is to the crowds opinion though that will determine the playlist.
Im just curious, because when I go to a carshow, I want that old, nostalgic feeling like Im back in the days these cars were made, away from worries, work, the everyday grind.

Im thinking some johny cash, anything that mentions "route 66", and for the modern kids out there some skrillex... I said some. lol

You know, johny cash did a song once for the dukes, "The General Lee"
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV.
Projects:
1970 Dodge Charger SE (Main Project)
1973 Dodge Charger 400 cid. (Work in progress)
1988 Mustang 2.3 liter 4 cyl.

Looking for Seat tracks for bucket seats.

elacruze

AMEN!

I hate being assaulted by music so loud I can't discuss the car with the owner.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Ponch ®

The music at most of the shows I go to usually sucks. If they have a DJ / guy playing music off his ipod, its usually overplayed, cliched stuff - oldies, Steely Dan, Journey, etc. I get it though...I mostly go to classic car shows and they're trying to "play to the audience", but fer chrissakes, you can only play "Slow Ride" and "Kokomo" so many times in a day.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

bill440rt

I was at a show once parked next to a Gen Lee. Now, I happen to like Gen Lee's and the DoH, really REALLY I do.
However this fine gentleman proceeded to play the DoH theme thru a boom-box in his backseat, full blast, on constant loop. ALL... DAY... LONG.   :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
The theme is like what, maybe 2 minutes long? That's 30 times in one hour, for about 6 hours. At least 180 times that day!! If there ever was an ice pick moment, that was it!  :smilielol:  I don't care who you are, even hearing your all-time favorite song that much in one sitting would drive you insane.  :shortbus:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce