News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone ever restore s Sherman tank?

Started by Ghoste, September 06, 2012, 06:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Have any of you ever been involved in a tank restoration?  Is there a parts network out there for the guys involved in this kind of thing?

c00nhunterjoe

Yes, we have the largest restoration shop in the states at work. They handle lots of outside owners tank restorations. the guys in the shop typicly make their own parts from scratch based on photos. Its amazing to watch.

Ghoste

Indygenerallee

There was a show on the BBC I watched once and there was a scrap yard over there in Europe somewhere that had a bunch of tanks (for obvious reasons) And it seemed like it was no big thing to restore them, Imagine the crane you would have to have to lift the turret out of the dang thing!!! Gotta be real rich to afford to restore or buy a tank.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

c00nhunterjoe

They are out there. Might get lucky ad score a brand new one. Scoure the army auctions, old turnins come in from time to time.

The crane needed for a sherman isn't very large. They were light. I use a 40 ton overhead to pull the turrets on the abrams.

Ghoste

Odd you mention BBC because my inquiry is being driven by a friend in the UK.  If there is a yard with parts somewhere in Europe it would be a lof more advantageous for whatever he is up to.

FJ5WING

Ive caught a couple of different TV shows documenting the restoration of WWII heavy armored vehicles.

Think of it as a car restoration but the parts are 10x as heavy. definetly not a one man operation.

did you Google?
wingless now, but still around.

Ghoste

Not yet.  When it comes to mechanical googling, this is where I go first and I'm rarely disappointed, it's often quicker and more up to date.

Todd Wilson

There has been a few different links over the years on Shermans restoration. One had the big Ford engine and another had the big chrysler flathead rotary setup. Better have some heavy equipment if you are going to restore one. Hopefully its all there as locating pieces and parts can be difficult and expensive.

Todd

Homerr

'Tank Overhaul' was on the Military Channel and the BBC.

Here are some pics from another Sherman restoration:
http://www.shermanrestoration.com/page1/page1.html

Dino

I've restored a lot of things, some were pretty odd, but never a tank!  I wateched a few of those tank overhaul shows on the military channel and it's pretty impressive.  Their rotisseries can hold a few chargers at once!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

areibel

I get a mad called "Military Vehicles", I have an old Dodge M37 to keep the Charger company!
They list a couple places-
http://www.militaryvehiclesupply.net/
http://www.site.ww2mv.com/
http://militaryvehicleweb.com/
http://www.flmv.net/

Kinda cool stuff, if you can find a MV show it's really interesting to see how painstakingly they restore their toys- just like us with Chargers!  And there's a network of guys that aren't on the net, but if you get to know a few of the guys they can give you names and numbers of guys that have been hoarding stuff for years, they don't advertise but they have stuff for sale.
Good Luck!  I thought doing a Charger was hard (and expensive), sounds like you're in for a treat!

twodko

There is a guy in Portola Valley, Calif. Who is an avid collector/restorer of all kinda military vehicles especially tanks. There is also a small restoration company in Santa Rosa, Calif. who specialize in jeeps. Both of which would be a solid source for parts and info IMO. Google them.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

ChgrSteve67

Shame the US Government doesn't allow the civilian world to posses M1 Abrams tanks. I would love to take one for a cruise in my neighborhood.

Here is the museum in Protola
http://www.mvtf.org/

Very cool place to visit. They have a  M1 Abrams prototype and a few Scud Missiles.
Here are some pictures from my visit
http://home.comcast.net/~67chgrss/MCCMT2252012/index.html

The owner died a few years ago and the foundation is currently running it however they are not working on any current restorations and the family members are still trying to figure out what to do with the facility since they were not happy about the collection in the first place.

Back to the point of the thread
I'm sure if you contacted them and talked with some of the volunteers they could give you some insight into the restoration community. They might even have some parts to sell since they have tanks they take parts off of in the yard.

Never hurts to ask.

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on September 06, 2012, 05:17:18 PM
Shame the US Government doesn't allow the civilian world to posses M1 Abrams tanks. I would love to take one for a cruise in my neighborhood.

Here is the museum in Protola
http://www.mvtf.org/

Very cool place to visit. They have a  M1 Abrams prototype and a few Scud Missiles.
Here are some pictures from my visit
http://home.comcast.net/~67chgrss/MCCMT2252012/index.html

The owner died a few years ago and the foundation is currently running it however they are not working on any current restorations and the family members are still trying to figure out what to do with the facility since they were not happy about the collection in the first place.

Back to the point of the thread
I'm sure if you contacted them and talked with some of the volunteers they could give you some insight into the restoration community. They might even have some parts to sell since they have tanks they take parts off of in the yard.

Never hurts to ask.

M1s are a blast to drive. The old phrase "rideslike a tank" doesn't apply. They are extremly manuverable, glide over bumps, even when airborne they land nicely. 

I'm extremly interested in the prototype you mentioned. I couldn't find any photos in the link. Number 0699 looks like an xm model. I know a lot about the history of the project when they were pv models, then xm, the m1's. Most of the pv's were cut up for scrap and I only know of a few xm's in existance, gm ad chrysler. The european competetor's model doesn't exist at all to my knowledge. Any more photos of it are greatly appreciated

ChgrSteve67

I can't find the picture if it.
Unfortunately it looked like a pile of junk that had been sitting lost in the woods.

I would not have known what it was if the tour guide had not told us.

It needed tons of work and with the current state of the foundation its not very likely it ever will.

lloyd3

Didn't Shermans use 1941 345 cu. in. Caddy engines?

Ghoste

No idea.  They likely used a variety of engines?

Ghoste

Apparently its the rotary one my buddy is looking for.

John_Kunkel

Chrysler built some of the Sherman tank engines (and the tanks), the A4 and A57 engines featured a bunch of flathead sixes arranged in a circle.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

John_Kunkel

Ghoste

No common crankshaft then but a common drive of some sort?

ACUDANUT

Quote : "Shame the US Government doesn't allow the civilian world to posses M1 Abrams tanks. I would love to take one for a cruise in my neighborhood"

You cannot own a M-60 tank (1965-1985) either.  It is a shame because the local National Guard has one, and I want it. They use it for towing only...Let me explain...The Truck drivers in the Guard learn how to handle a 60 ton load.

If anyone knows of a private party who owns a M-60 tank, it would be the first I have ever heard of it.

daveco

R/Tree

Mytur Binsdirti

I'd love to get a tank, cannon, or anti-aircraft gun to have as a lawn ornament for the sole purpose of pointing the barrel at my a$$hole neighbor's house across from me.  :lol:

b5blue

There is a Historical Military Museum here in town. I can try to get you contact info if you want.  :scratchchin:
www.armedforcesmuseum.com

b5blue

OH yea, the large ship models in the pics are the actual ones used in the movie "TORA TORA TORA".  :2thumbs:  They have much much more than the site shows.

Ghoste

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on September 08, 2012, 04:49:41 PM
I'd love to get a tank, cannon, or anti-aircraft gun to have as a lawn ornament for the sole purpose of pointing the barrel at my a$$hole neighbor's house across from me.  :lol:

I think his brother is next door to me so see if you can get two.  :lol:

John_Kunkel

Ever since seeing the movie Tank with James Garner I've fantisized about owning my very own tank but after seeing the asking price of that tank I think my dreams are much bigger than my wallet.

http://filmpanzer.squarespace.com/journal/2010/6/2/james-garners-tank-on-the-block.html

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on September 09, 2012, 04:25:38 PM

I think his brother is next door to me so see if you can get two.  :lol:

And you guys wonder why the Military won't allow Citizens to own tanks.....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

I just wanna scare him a little, I wouldn't actually shoot it at his house unless he gave me a good reason.

Cooter

What was that video of that dude in Cali. or somewhere that stole a tank and went on about  $1 Million rampage through his neighborhood? I can bet the Military has thought of this as well....Too many on Meth/Prescription drugs these days.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

The government is probably much less worried about civilians using tanks on other civilians than they are the government.

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Bob T

Our Villains social club knew someone that brought their tank along to the big Kumeu swapmeet/carshow/part weekend. English tank, not too sure what the model is, Man, it could move out fast though and tore the hell out of the ground  :rofl:
The guy that owns it had another similar one but sold it to a local museum for resto and an old ex miltary guy that I work with has been working on it since. Apparently this guy would bring in more but surprise surprise the shipping is the real killer for importing one  :lol:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Ghoste

That thing is just massive.  Is it possibly an armored personnel carrier?

ACUDANUT

That ain't no tank. BTW a Buldozer is just as dealy as a tank, minus the cannon.

Homerr

Yes, a British FV432 apc.  

I rode in one at Bovington Tank Museum in 2002 in one of their demonstrations (I volunteered from the crowd).  They gave us coveralls, a helmet, and a dummy rifle.  Ten of us had to ride in the back crammed armpit to asshole before we ran out on the field and deployed as a squad to simulate an attack.  I don't know how a real squad in full combat gear can do it.

We followed behind a Chieftain main battle tank which was spewing massive amounts of dust, diesel, and cordite (or whatever the blank rounds it was firing was).  So my military 'career' was about 30 minutes of sweating and gagging in the back of one of those.

Here's a pic of the event, also a couple of Ferret scout cars in the grass.

Ghoste

I would have to think it was even worse in some of the WWII stuff.  I don't know much more about this Sherman my buddy is helping to restore but as I find out I'll try and share.

Bob T

Quite right,FV432, I stand corrected, just carried away with the self laying tracks thing  :lol: The old tank guy at work said it is a 6cyl with 12 pistons and a crank at top and bottom, pistons meet in the middle, most interesting ....must be some tank /military forums out there for info I guess Ghoste
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Ghoste

A bunch of interesting powerplants for those things huh?

FJMG

Nope never restored one but I do have an NOS (still in wooden crate) pto winch from one (at least it seems that it is from a tank based on the U.S. Engineering drawings that it came with).

ACUDANUT

Let me know when you come up with a gun called (M2, M-60 or a BAR.)

bull

Have you ever considered just moving? :shruggy:

John_Kunkel

Quote from: ACUDANUT on September 11, 2012, 01:27:56 PM
Let me know when you come up with a gun called (M2, M-60 or a BAR.)

Bring your checkbook.  http://www.autoweapons.com/products/products.html

One local FFL has a Ma Deuce sitting on top of his safe.

ACUDANUT