News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any recommendations for power door lock kits?

Started by Dino, September 04, 2012, 02:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I'm tired of using the key, I need power door locks!

Any suggestions on which to get?  Ebay is saturated with Chinese stuff that may or not blow up in your face so I would like to find something with a good rep. 

I would like it to have keyless entry with enough buttons to add power trunk release and further down the line I would like to have the power windows open with the keyfob as well. 

I don't know if I want an alarm system.  If I do it needs to work perfect, not wake me up in the middle of the night because some squirrel got too close to the garage.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

WHITE AND RED 69

I was going to use electric-life when I planned on doing power windows. They have all kinds of key-less entry stuff listed on their site.

http://www.electric-life.com
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

moparfan53

On my 69 Charger I used an Avital model 2101/2101L keyless entry system (2101 is on box, 2101L is on instructions, both numbers show up in Google and ebay searches) together with 2 universal door lock actuators. Ebay prices for the Avital are $40- $50 range. I also hooked it up to a power trunk I had previously installed. It is pretty neat and convenient to have the remote locks and trunk. I do get looks and some questions at car shows, especially when using the remote to open the trunk when getting things in and out of it.

It has been installed for about 6 months and so far I am pleased with it.

company site for the entry system;
http://www.avital.com/Products/KeylessEntry.aspx

I bought the door lock actuators locally but here is example of them;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Aapex-UNIVERSAL-POWER-DOOR-LOCK-ACTUATOR-MOTOR-12-volt-8-8lb-Torq-7-8-travel-/230780411788?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bb959f8c

Note: The Avital unit has built in relays for the door locks but you need to buy a Bosch type relay for the trunk hookup.

Hope this info helps.

doctor4766

I just bought a cheap shit chinese 4 door kit and saved the extra solenoids as spares.
All up cost was 30 clams if I remember right. Was probably 5 years ago.
The only thing I don't like about it is that the lock/unlock remote buttons are one touch, instant activation and are not recessed, so if you lock your car and put your keys into your pocket, you can easily accidentally unlock the car as you're walking away.
Gotta love a '69

Dino

Thanks gents, that is very helpful.  I never thought about the non recessed buttons, that's definitely something to watch for.  I was a bit sceptical on the Chinese kits but then again, how bad could they screw up an actuator?  

Electric-life has some decent kits so I'm browsing those.  Maybe I can fit one of those universal power window kits as well as the XV stuff is just way too expensive.  Thanks for those links moparfan.  Maybe it would be a good idea to buy all this seperate so I can have the keyfob I want.  Some of them look real cheesy, are you happy with how it's made and the buttong options?  I see it has dedicated buttons for lock/unlock and trunk + an aux button which 'should' be programmable to have the windows go up and down.

Edit: moparfan, I found a bunch of the 2101 kits fo ra good price so I think I'll go with that one and the actuators from ebay.  What type of trunk release do you have?  If it works for you then I may as well get the same stuff.

moparfan53

Quote from: Dino on September 07, 2012, 07:00:19 AM
moparfan, I found a bunch of the 2101 kits fo ra good price so I think I'll go with that one and the actuators from ebay.  What type of trunk release do you have?  If it works for you then I may as well get the same stuff.

It is from a Chrysler product buy I don't know exactly what. I bought it off ebay a few years ago. Here is a link to one. Perhaps another member will recognize from the pic what it is off.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/64-to-79-superbird-coronet-mopar-POWER-TRUNK-LATCH-power-release-/230848842342?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35bfa9ca66&vxp=mtr

Sorry for being so long replying.

Dino

Quote from: moparfan53 on September 11, 2012, 05:05:18 PM
Quote from: Dino on September 07, 2012, 07:00:19 AM
moparfan, I found a bunch of the 2101 kits fo ra good price so I think I'll go with that one and the actuators from ebay.  What type of trunk release do you have?  If it works for you then I may as well get the same stuff.

It is from a Chrysler product buy I don't know exactly what. I bought it off ebay a few years ago. Here is a link to one. Perhaps another member will recognize from the pic what it is off.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/64-to-79-superbird-coronet-mopar-POWER-TRUNK-LATCH-power-release-/230848842342?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35bfa9ca66&vxp=mtr

Sorry for being so long replying.

No need to apologize!  Thanks for your help!

I was looking at a solenoid but what you posted is waaaaaay better.  Now if I can find out which locks from which Chryslers fit on a charger, I may find one in the local junkyard and save a few bucks.

Thanks again!   :2thumbs:

Dino

Although I would have no problem installing the Avital or similar aftermarket door lock kit, I'm now wondering if I can use power door locks from other mopars such as the New Yorker or Cordoba.  Anyone have any thoughts on this before I remove one of my locks and take it to the junkyard to compare?