News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Did some 68's not come with shoulder belts? ? ?

Started by skip68, February 05, 2006, 10:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip68

My 68 does'nt have shoulder belts, should it have them or did some come without them?
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

8WHEELER

As of 1/1/68 shoulder belts were mandatory, I have seen some early ''January'' 68 built cars that did not have them.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

skip68

:scope: My build date was Sep. 21 1967,  so that explains why I don't have them. :cheers: Thank's Dan.. Chuck.
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

JimShine

I wonder if the non-equipped cars were transitional leftovers they decided not to upgrade. My car is a January 17th car and has them.

PocketThunder

Does anyone with shoulder belts actually ever use them???   My Dads 73 road runner has them and i dont think they have ever been used..

I was wondering if i should put them back in my 68 Charger, even though i dont know if i'll use them.  I probably should though "safety is no accident:icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

694spdRT

I used the lap belts but, hardly ever used the shoulder belts in the '68 when I drove it a lot. Since they do not have a recoil adjustability is very limited and once you position yourself in the car they are just generally uncomfortable IMO. I am sure they would keep you in place during a crash though. 
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Chryco Psycho

if you do not cut through the headliner I doubt anyone would ? if they were ever in there

bull

Quote from: 8WHEELER on February 05, 2006, 11:27:54 PM
As of 1/1/68 shoulder belts were mandatory, I have seen some early ''January'' 68 built cars that did not have them.

Dan

I think that would include mine. I have found no evidence of my Jan. 8, '68 Charger ever having shoulder belts.

ck1

I guess its nice to have them, i do on my end of 68 January car, but if you don't or there missing might be a blessing for one more thing you don't have to worrie about restoring or finding.........no one will know but you and i remember using mine when it was  drivable, kinda of a pain in the but cause your fixed in, but i guess it will keep you from eating your steering wheel in a accident :rotz:
CJK

bull

Quote from: ck1 on February 18, 2006, 02:12:49 PM
I guess its nice to have them, i do on my end of 68 January car, but if you don't or there missing might be a blessing for one more thing you don't have to worrie about restoring or finding...

No kidding. I'll be lucky to find the standard set in good condition somewhere.

ck1

Quote from: bull on February 19, 2006, 10:26:40 AM
I guess its nice to have them, i do on my end of 68 January car, but if you don't or there missing might be a blessing for one more thing you don't have to worrie about restoring or finding...

might be a why'll, but I have a old school buddy who has a couple of 68 cornets in his back yard unless his wife made him have them towed to the junk yard, ones a parts car four door maybe there the same typ of belts,  I have to see about some door plugs on one of his cars thet might fit my car, but anywho don't hold your breath but I will look for you Bull when ever I get over there agian...........
CJK

bull

Quote from: ck1 on February 19, 2006, 10:35:39 AM
Quote from: bull on February 19, 2006, 10:26:40 AM

might be a why'll, but I have a old school buddy who has a couple of 68 cornets in his back yard unless his wife made him have them towed to the junk yard, ones a parts car four door maybe there the same typ of belts,  I have to see about some door plugs on one of his cars thet might fit my car, but anywho don't hold your breath but I will look for you Bull when ever I get over there agian...........

Thanks. Mine only had the fronts and they came out of something other than a Charger.

austinpalibroda

my shoulder belts on my roadrunner clip above the door and they were annoying and i never used them so i just unbolted them and took them out for now.  i hardly use my lap belt, and i've been stopped by the cops a couple times without either on and never got questioned..
Canadian Mopar Boy.