News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just wondering

Started by Gary42, August 30, 2012, 12:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indygenerallee

Only a diehard Mopar guy is even gonna consider buying it in that state and even then your gonna have to bend over to get it sold.  :Twocents: I would love to have it but I have enough on my plate.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Ghoste

Thats a lot of project there Gary.  Is the truck intended to be a toy or is it to be a driver?

ralley72

Quote from: Gary42 on August 30, 2012, 08:29:59 PM
Surely I agree with Troy and I am seeing this reaction more and more each day. Dang thing is.......if it were still looking like it did when I purchased it (not good at all) then they would buy it. They are going to have to do what I have, or as I say "have not" had done, eventually, but they just cannot seem to get beyond the sheet metal issue. Even when I show them what I have and how much I have invested in all the parts. I love this car and I truly think it would be a great looking car sitting next to my new Challenger, but I guess since all this happened I feel like just giving up. I have a chance to buy a good 70 Charger shell to clone into a Daytona like I had planned a couple of years ago. I can purchase most everything I need from a friend to do this, but I feel that I might need to move forward and let go of this project before starting a new one. Value? I wish I could say. I am sincerely grateful for the advice, and it is well taken from those who have taken the time to post their opinion.
V/R
Gary
Gary,

I don't post alot here, but a couple years ago I had to make a decision to sell 1 of my 2 cars. A 1972 Rallye Charger 400 auto and  a 73 Road Runner 400 4 speed, I couldn't restore both.  They sat in my barn for 5 or 6 years and I only moved them around, unable to start the work. It made me sad to go out to the barn and see them just sit there. It was time to sell. The good part of this story is the 72 Charger was sold and it was repaired and painted by the new owner. That made me happy and he got a car he wanted, so I believe it worked out for the better. After selling the 72,  a year or so later I was able to begin the restore of my 73 Road Runner and I used the money from the Rallye toward the Road Runner. It was difficult to see the Charger go, but now my Road Runner is getting closer to being on the road. Yes I know, a 73 Road Runner over a 72 Rallye Charger.

Mike

1973 Roadrunner 400 mag. 4 sp

Gary42

Quote from: Cooter on September 02, 2012, 01:40:28 PM
See, IMO, buying a car like that in that condition(Missing half the car, even though that makes it that much easier to replace quarter), people are all looking to hear "Wow! Good SCORE! Car looks GREAT!".....Instead, buying something that looks like that is gonna get 'em the ol "Damn, you paid how much for that???"

Sorry, but your gonna have to put in some time on that thing in order to get paid for it.
Cooter
I agree, but if I were to put in the time....I'll surely keep it. I will post some pics of the car "before" I allowed someone to talk me into him "helping" me. If it were back to its former condition, no matter how much work had to be done, I know I would surely get back-plus what I have currently acquired in parts. Like I said before.....dang thing is that if someone were to buy it if untouched.......they would have to accomplish the same task I am faced with now. Thankfully I have one of the best MOPAR/body guys in the business I am friends with. He feels badly, which he should not, because he introucded me to the guy that did this and has agreed to do all the frame work, body work, and painting for around $12,000.00. Not bad at all, but that doesn't include finishing the interior, and having the motor rebuild.....another 4-5,000. Its just that I have a chance to pick up a 69 Charger body, solid, for just a small amount. I want to build a Daytona, and Larry has most all the parts to bring this project to life. I figure that if I spent around 15-20,000.00 for this build, I will not only get what I truly want, but also get a car that will sell for a heck of a lot more then my Rallye.....for now anyway.
1972 Dodge Charger, Rally edition
2010 Dodge Challenger, Rally package
"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest."

- Mark Twain

Gary42

Quote from: Ghoste on September 02, 2012, 03:56:27 PM
That's a lot of project there Gary.  Is the truck intended to be a toy or is it to be a driver?
Ghoste
Yes its a driver. It has 78,000 original miles on the body, no dents, body work, and the interior is near perfect condition. It had been a garage kept truck most all its life and owned by an elderly couple here in Greenwood. Another person bought it just for the 318 and left the rest for the past 7 years. I bought it for $1000.00 and invested $500.00 for a rebuilt 318. I will have just under $2500 in it when complete. All I have left is finding a ground problem........figures, lol......and to have the exhaust put on as I put headers on it and want the exhaust to come out in front of the tires. 0 to do on the interior, not even vacuum it......that's how great of a condition it is. I had a friend polish the little bit of fade on the paint, and it looks great. Its a Dixieland Ram......never seen one as to date, and it came from the dealer like that as I spoke to the original owners son and he confirmed he went with his dad to pick it up brand new, and it has not changed since. The original Ram sticker on the front fender even still looks good.........great buy there, lol...

- Mark Twain

Gary42

Quote from: ralley72 on September 02, 2012, 06:17:30 PM
Quote from: Gary42 on August 30, 2012, 08:29:59 PM
Surely I agree with Troy and I am seeing this reaction more and more each day. Dang thing is.......if it were still looking like it did when I purchased it (not good at all) then they would buy it. They are going to have to do what I have, or as I say "have not" had done, eventually, but they just cannot seem to get beyond the sheet metal issue. Even when I show them what I have and how much I have invested in all the parts. I love this car and I truly think it would be a great looking car sitting next to my new Challenger, but I guess since all this happened I feel like just giving up. I have a chance to buy a good 70 Charger shell to clone into a Daytona like I had planned a couple of years ago. I can purchase most everything I need from a friend to do this, but I feel that I might need to move forward and let go of this project before starting a new one. Value? I wish I could say. I am sincerely grateful for the advice, and it is well taken from those who have taken the time to post their opinion.
V/R
Gary
Gary,

I don't post allot here, but a couple years ago I had to make a decision to sell 1 of my 2 cars. A 1972 Rallye Charger 400 auto and  a 73 Road Runner 400 4 speed, I couldn't restore both.  They sat in my barn for 5 or 6 years and I only moved them around, unable to start the work. It made me sad to go out to the barn and see them just sit there. It was time to sell. The good part of this story is the 72 Charger was sold and it was repaired and painted by the new owner. That made me happy and he got a car he wanted, so I believe it worked out for the better. After selling the 72,  a year or so later I was able to begin the restore of my 73 Road Runner and I used the money from the Rallye toward the Road Runner. It was difficult to see the Charger go, but now my Road Runner is getting closer to being on the road. Yes I know, a 73 Road Runner over a 72 Rallye Charger.

Mike

Mike
I know how you feel because I went thru this years ago with my '73 back in the day. I wished I still had it, but life went on and I needed a bigger vehicle for kids, lol........go figure.....I guess the problem is this.......which one do I want more......not which one will bring me more money. Buying the '69 body.....great idea.....bad to look at until I begin, but I think that's the direction I most go for now. I would like to have them both, but I will accept what God allows me to have because I don't want to be greedy. I never pray for an answer from Him, I just wait and He lets me know which direction I must go first.

- Mark Twain

Gary42

And yes I agree, ONLY A DIE HARD MOPAR guy would consider buying this car in its current condition, but a die hard MOPAR guy would know what he has when he bought it too. It might not be the 3rd gen time yet, but that time is quickly approaching as most all the good 68-70 Chargers have been scooped up, rebuilt, or just sitting waiting on the money to fall into their laps to restore it.......good luck.....tried that and for some reason my butt still hurts sitting here waiting, lol

- Mark Twain

Ghoste

I guess whatever you decide, you have to make sure the driver is taken care of first.  It sounds like you can afford to wait on it if you choose but this is always the tough part of any project isn't it?  Finding the urge to keep going when it gets to the stage where you are now.

Gary42

Quote from: Ghoste on September 02, 2012, 07:40:06 PM
I guess whatever you decide, you have to make sure the driver is taken care of first.  It sounds like you can afford to wait on it if you choose but this is always the tough part of any project isn't it?  Finding the urge to keep going when it gets to the stage where you are now.

I think your right and buying the 69 just to have once the Rally is complete is something I "need" to do. I am sincerely grateful for all the advice and direction you have provided. I guess I needed to see it in black and white for me to finally "get it." Although the road ahead may be longer then I had originally anticaped, I will get there sooner or later.

- Mark Twain

Gary42

Here are some pics "before" the problem:

- Mark Twain

Gary42

More

- Mark Twain

Gary42

More

- Mark Twain

Gary42

As you can see, it wasn't a bad looking car "before" I, forgive for saying it this way, (screwed myself) into thinking that this guy was going to do the "right" thing for me. I'm sure I could have had no problem selling this car for what I paid for it and what I acquired (a boat load) many new and OEM parts for. I truly think that a few can agree that this has been one heck of a ride and it is in worst shape then when it actually arrived here. Oh well, decision time I guess.....

- Mark Twain

Gary42

Funny: here's what it could actually look like when completed!!!!!!

- Mark Twain

Gary42

Bam

- Mark Twain

Gary42

Nice