News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thermostat swap--what now?

Started by billschroeder5842, September 01, 2012, 01:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billschroeder5842

I had to make a filler neck repair (leaky from corrosion) so I swapped out thermostats going from a 160 to a 180.

Besides the temp gauge reading, anything else I can expect from a hotter engine?

Also, any new tuning adjustments I should make?

The 160 thermo never heated up in the winter months so I never had heat. I'm hoping that the 20 degrees will make a difference.

Thanks!
Texas Proud!

RECHRGD

You shouldn't have to change a thing.  If the car didn't overheat (230+) before, it won't now.  Enjoy the heat in the winter.
13.53 @ 105.32

billschroeder5842

I noticed that my little hesitation around 1200 rpm upon acceration is significantly decreased. Could a few degrees hotter smooth that out? :shruggy:
Texas Proud!

charger Downunder

may have to adjust the carby idle mixture screws when engine is heated up.
[/quote]

John_Kunkel

A warmer motor tends to run a little richer so that probably explains the decrease in stumble on acceleration.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

billschroeder5842

Okay, that makes sense. I'll mess with the mixture screws.

Funny, I tried to work the heat to see if there was a difference, but in the 100 degree Texas heat I could not feel a difference between the vent air and the ambient temp!
Texas Proud!

b5blue

Why no 195?  :shruggy: I run one here in Fl. with no issues. (Iron heads.)

c00nhunterjoe

Those screws are only for idle mixture.

billschroeder5842

No particular reason on the 180 other than a lot of guys run the cooler stat in Texas....we get weeks and weeks of over 100. I guess that we aren't confident in our cooling systems!
Texas Proud!

c00nhunterjoe

I run a 180 in mine as well. No problems.