News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 motor ? help with numbers , year ? looks like a forged type balancer ??

Started by moparstuart, August 31, 2012, 09:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

:popcrn: :popcrn: i bought this motor was running in a truck and has 50k on it since a rebuilt

what year is it ??   looks like a forged crank ?  will this oil pan fit a 69 charger k frame ?
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

:drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

moparstuart

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:

A383Wing

looks like peanut plug heads as well

there should be a casting date on the side of the block

Bryan

moparstuart

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

moparstuart

:drool5: :drool5:

moparstuart

moparguy01

its a 73-78 motor. I need a better pic of the balancer though, from the side of it. At first glance it looked like a forged balancer.

moparstuart

moparstuart

Quote from: moparguy01 on August 31, 2012, 09:34:39 PM
its a 73-78 motor. I need a better pic of the balancer though, from the side of it. At first glance it looked like a forged balancer.
wouldnt 73 up motor be cast and have the huge balancer , externally balanced

moparstuart

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

A383Wing

moparstuart

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

moparstuart

:drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

firefighter3931

Allmost all of the truck engines came with forged cranks and some had 6-pack rods installed from the factory.  :yesnod:

Oil pan is a truck rear sump and the engine brackets are truck as well....neither will work in a passenger car.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

moparstuart

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 31, 2012, 09:52:46 PM
Allmost all of the truck engines came with forged cranks and some had 6-pack rods installed from the factory.  :yesnod:

Oil pan is a truck rear sump and the engine brackets are truck as well....neither will work in a passenger car.  ;)

Ron
well i guess ill see if it has 6 pack rods when i change the pan, not really a fan of the heavy bastards  :D

moparstuart

so i just wanna do a cheap stock built on this maybe throw a mild cam in it

do i need better heads ??????????????????????????//

FLG

Will be fine with iron heads, but all depends on what your looking to achieve.

Heads will need to be completely redone as it looks like its been sitting quite awhile. Find out how much thats going to cost you, you could easily grab a set of 440source heads, change the locks/retainers (they dont exactly use the best stuff) and youll be better off than with those iron heads.

69CoronetRT

It looks like the VIN is 2C indicating it came out of a 72 fullsize car.
The pad looks like is says H440 also indicating a 72.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

tan top

:2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

think the heads  might  later 452s  :scratchchin: ,  i say this because of this I casting here :scratchchin:
:popcrn: 

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

BSB67

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

moparstuart

Quote from: tan top on September 01, 2012, 04:27:40 AM

think the heads  might  later 452s  :scratchchin: ,  i say this because of this I casting here :scratchchin:

so do they work and flow well enought for a stock 69 charger 440 ?  i dont need anything radical or high flow just a good solid stock motor with a slight lobe is what i'm looking for .

BSB67

Quote from: moparstuart on September 01, 2012, 07:54:31 AM
Quote from: tan top on September 01, 2012, 04:27:40 AM

so do they work and flow well enought for a stock 69 charger 440 ?  i dont need anything radical or high flow just a good solid stock motor with a slight lobe is what i'm looking for .

probably the perfect head for your needs

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

oldcarnut

Quote from: A383Wing on August 31, 2012, 09:29:45 PM
Bryan

I hadn't heard that term before.  What does that refer too?

moparstuart

Quote from: oldcarnut on September 01, 2012, 08:13:14 AM
Bryan

i was wondering that too , i think he was hungry and wanted a peanut butter an nanner samich

oldcarnut

cdr

Quote from: moparstuart on September 01, 2012, 08:37:01 AM
Quote from: oldcarnut on September 01, 2012, 08:13:14 AM
Bryan

i was wondering that too , i think he was hungry and wanted a peanut butter an nanner samich

that would be a bb chevy term,73 up truck 454
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

RECHRGD

I've got a set of '71 346 head that have that same double bar casting.  Just pull a valve cover and check the numbers.  They made plenty of power with a three angle valve job.
13.53 @ 105.32

A383Wing

some mopar big block heads used the peanut plugs from the factory...or the smaller 5/8" plugs to the other guys

Bryan

moparstuart

so anyone got a good used car pan and motor mount brackets  for sale cheap  :shruggy:

FLG

How much you looking to spend? I think you could get the pan and the brackets new from 440 source for about 100$ or so for everything.

ACUDANUT

Stu, I thought you knew your engines better than that. Tisk, Tisk.
Anyway, those are truck engine motor mounts. It is a forged crank. The oil pan will not work. What are you going to do about exhaust manifolds ? Also I would scrap that intake maifold. 
Let me see what I have laying around that might help you.

moparstuart

Quote from: ACUDANUT on September 04, 2012, 03:22:11 PM
Stu, I thought you knew your engines better than that. Tisk, Tisk.
Anyway, those are truck engine motor mounts. It is a forged crank. The oil pan will not work. What are you going to do about exhaust manifolds ? Also I would scrap that intake maifold.  
Let me see what I have laying around that might help you.
i knew it was a truck motor was remaned about 40-50 k miles ago .  ,  I was just hoping it was a good truck motor  .  Yes i know i need a pan and motor mounts  ,  Going with stock 69 exhaust manifolds for sure  .  Will be looking for a correct 69 intake and avs  carter for it also

FLG

Have a nice 71 intake stu..not date correct but its one of the best stock flowing 440 intakes, was bead blasted and painted black  :shruggy:

moparstuart

Quote from: FLG on September 06, 2012, 02:33:11 PM
Have a nice 71 intake stu..not date correct but its one of the best stock flowing 440 intakes, was bead blasted and painted black  :shruggy:
man if it was orange i would take it   :smilielol: :smilielol: :nana:    how much  ??  what is bad about this 72 intake on it ?  and will the 71 fit with these head  ?????????

moparstuart

moparstuart