News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carburetor Swap from a 2bbl to a 4bbl

Started by black73charger, August 31, 2012, 11:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

black73charger

Hello,
I have a 73 Charger with a 2bbl carb and a 400 engine.  It runs but doesn't drive and I'd like to put in a new carb, preferably a 4bbl.  Its an SE too, if that helps.  What parts do I need to replace in addition to the carb, or do I need to get new intake manifold, etc.?
Thank you

ODZKing

Intake and carb, naturally ... however the cam is different, I am not sure about the crank.   :popcrn:
Yep, just checked the part numbers ... crank is different as well.

John_Kunkel

Welcome to the board black73charger.

In addition to the manifold and carb you'll need a longer upper link for the TP linkage. If you use an aftermarket carb you'll need the correct Mopar throttle lever extension to make the throttle cable and linkage fit correctly.

A cam change is only necessary if you want build a 400 HP and then exhaust manifolds would need to be changed too.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

TK73

Another Black 73 !!  Right on !!
Hang out here for ALL the info you need on that car.

We like pics too  :D
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

BSB67

Carb and intake should do it.  Like someone said, if you go with an aftermarket carb, an additional bracket for the throttle linkage will be needed.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Chryco Psycho

I suggest you install a  Fel Pro 1214 intake pan to block the heat crossover unless you intend to drive this in below freezing temps 
I would suggest a Proform carb around 750 CFM .Available from Mancini
I would recommend either the Mopar M1 dual plane intake or the Eddy RPM intake .
You will need a different air cleaner as the top of the 4 bbl carb will be bigger .
You will also need to get a fuel line to match the carb or at least alter the fuel line for the 4 bbl .
You will also need the 20-7 carb linkage adapter from Holley
With the RPM intake you will need a taller throttle cable bracket , Mancini Racing sells these also.
The TP linkage will be too short with the taller RPM intake , Mancini may have a part for this as well or you may have to adjust or modify what you have , Do not run without it , it will kill the tranny !

HANDM

Or you could go cheap and put a 12$ adapter plate on and run a 4 barrel without changing the manifold.....  :eek2:

ODZKing

Forgot about the exhaust mans John.

On the other notes, isn't just changing the carb and intake sort of like wasting your time.
Changing the carb I would assume (unless you simply want to to use more fuel) is to get more power.
It's hardly noticeable with out the other additions/corrections.
If that is the case (my  :Twocents:) I wouldn't bother.
Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 31, 2012, 12:37:31 PM

Welcome to the board black73charger.

In addition to the manifold and carb you'll need a longer upper link for the TP linkage. If you use an aftermarket carb you'll need the correct Mopar throttle lever extension to make the throttle cable and linkage fit correctly.

A cam change is only necessary if you want build a 400 HP and then exhaust manifolds would need to be changed too.