News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Done with six pack

Started by charger1972, August 29, 2012, 10:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger1972

I have had a sixpack setup on my car for years now.Allways thought it was pretty fast.....until.I drive my car to work on Saturday's,and on the way home last week a little yellow German car(i don't know what it was,they all look alike to me)took off from a stop light pretty fast so i did too.Once i opened it up,she started to break up so i backed off.Its had this problem for awhile thought it was the fuel pump not being able to keep up but now I'm not too sure.So I'm almost home and i run into my nephew with his 2001 ford mustang, 5 speed pipe kit and  flowmasters "cause he wanted it louder"otherwise his car is stock.Anyway,he starts getting on it from a roll and i can barley keep up.Now i know something is up.So on sunday i put a Holley street dominator and Holley 3310 4 barell i had laying around and its like night and day,and that's without tweeking it at all.So from what iv read on here the proform carbs are the best choice for performance.So my question is,what cfm and should i run a double pumper or vac secondaries .Here is my combo--69 440 lunati voodoo cam 60303 that Ron firefighter  recommended,hooker headers three inch ex no tails,electric fuel pump 3.55 gears 4 speed firecore wires and firecore distributor from Ron ,old style msd 6a .So that's my story,hopefully not to long for everyone but along with looking for advise i needed to vent a little.Thanks for any advise,Jim.

Cooter

Yep, been there, done that with multiple carbs...PITA! Of course, i can already here the "Six pack lovers" coming out in droves to defend their 1350 CFM set ups...

I'd go with a nice 650-700 Double pumper Holley. Might blow the tires away with that 4-speed, but shouldn't take too long to learn..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

FLG

Nice 750 proform should do the trick  :2thumbs:

firefighter3931

Quote from: FLG on August 29, 2012, 11:16:15 PM
Nice 750 proform should do the trick  :2thumbs:

:iagree:  with the 4speed you can definately use the double pumper !  :yesnod: The PF750 has small venturies but flows quite well so your throttle response and WOT performance will be well balanced.  :2thumbs:

Hi Jim  :wave:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

I do have one question though, was the breaking up part something new?

charger1972

Not new,but every time i did something to fix it like timing or jetting or re building the fuel pump for the fifth time it would seem to move.Before it would only do it at higher rpm ,then off the line.They are old carbs, i did rebuild them(years ago).The four barrel carb just seems to respond better.Ill keep the sixpack and maybe someday try it again,but for now i cant let all these tuner cars in my small town walk all over me.And Ron,that distributor is pretty cool.switched to the lighter advanced springs and could feel the difference,thanks!

Chryco Psycho

I use the Proform race series double Pump no choke , i would pick the 850 personally

firefighter3931

Quote from: charger1972 on August 30, 2012, 09:20:08 AM
Ron,that distributor is pretty cool.switched to the lighter advanced springs and could feel the difference,thanks!

Jim, where have you got the timing set at ?

I'd recommend 17* at idle and 35-36* total all in before 3000 rpm.  :2thumbs:

The PF750 race series carb flows 830cfm and has nice, small, radiused venturies and that will equal strong throttle response as well as top end power. Another member has that same carb on a build almost identical to yours ; same cam/headers etc...except he has a set of Eddy RPM heads and his made right at 500hp on the dyno. That carb will be perfect for your needs, inmo  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

charger1972

Ron,iv got it at about 14 and at 3000 its kinda hard to see i might have to mark everything better or take off my big chrome jc Whitney shroud so i can see better.Maybe some timing tape for the balancer?It just seems hard to see it.

charger1972

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 30, 2012, 09:38:48 AM
I use the Proform race series double Pump no choke , i would pick the 850 personally
The pro form seems to be the one to get.Is your engine stock?850 seems big but then i guess not compared to the sixpack.

FLG

Im using the same Carb (race series) for what should be a bit over 500hp 440

Brightyellow69rtse

i got the 303 cam aswell in my 440 and run the 750 proform race series. im very happy with it  :2thumbs:

chargermike

wanna sell the six pack set up. i would love to have one. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

charger1972

I thought about selling it,but its to soon.I'm to emotionally attached.

Cooter

Six Pack and twin four set ups are like Trophy wives...The tend to impress, but require high maintenance.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Lol, sounds like a good t-shirt slogan.

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on August 31, 2012, 06:24:09 AM
Lol, sounds like a good t-shirt slogan.

How bout you send me $25.oo and I'll be sure and put your shirt in the mail?? :smilielol:

Ghoste

You must think we're on the old Charger site. ;)

GOTWING

just a FYI a dead stock 2001 Mustang GT 4.6 5spd. with 3.27 gears will run 13:80's so isnt that about what a dead stock six pack car runs on street tires??

I bought a yellow 99 GT for my now X girlfriend and i took it to Delmar and raced it all the time, dead stock with street tires i got best of 13:79 @ 99mph. with bolt on's i got 13:11 that was with 3.73's JBA headers,X-pipe,70mm throttle body,pauls hp chip,pullys,k&n,drag radials.

charger1972

Quote from: GOTWING on August 31, 2012, 08:10:38 AM
just a FYI a dead stock 2001 Mustang GT 4.6 5spd. with 3.27 gears will run 13:80's so isnt that about what a dead stock six pack car runs on street tires??

I bought a yellow 99 GT for my now X girlfriend and i took it to Delmar and raced it all the time, dead stock with street tires i got best of 13:79 @ 99mph. with bolt on's i got 13:11 that was with 3.73's JBA headers,X-pipe,70mm throttle body,pauls hp chip,pullys,k&n,drag radials.
If i could barely keep up with a modern v8 car,i would be ok with that.But his car is a v6 and mostly stock exept for duals and cold air intake.

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: charger1972 on August 30, 2012, 10:22:46 AM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 30, 2012, 09:38:48 AM
The pro form seems to be the one to get.Is your engine stock?850 seems big but then i guess not compared to the sixpack.
I have used them on a number of engines , they respond extremely well stock or upgraded , I generally stick with 2x the CI & they work very well . Nothing I build is stock , there is always some port work & cam upgrades even if the engine appears dead stock .

Tom Q

A properly tuned six pak car will outrun it's  4bbl equal and not have problem after problem. I have run then for 35 years. Six paks have a bad reputation because people get frustrated with them.  They are stone reliable!

There is comprehensive guide  to set up and tune a six pak that has been posted here and on moparts too many times now. Over the years I compiled many peoples information into it and i have a lot of time invested in getting it to read right. There is at least one minor error about the pwr valve selection in it that the brainiacs on moparts have pointed out to me, but at this point i am not taking the time to copy edit any further as people would rather nit pik on the web boards than be helpful.   This is the reward for being nice and gracious to those who need technical support.

So i will leave you with this note as i am sure some one who lives here can post up the guide.
Rather than further blacken the stellar reputation of the six pak, I suggest you try tuning it properly and enjoy it.
No 4bbl set up will make the car run any better.  Be careful with the advice given here by others less informed

Ghoste

You say it's on here Tom?  I took a quick search for it and couldn't find it, you don't recall the thread title by any chance?

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.