News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1973 charger a/c

Started by randy73, August 28, 2012, 01:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy73

Bought car and a/c does not work, I know it needs a compressor and new o-rings, what else do I need to get?

Hoses seem to be in good shape.

BTW: going to use r134.

Chryco Psycho

you will need a new dryer , they can pressurize the system & check for leaks

ODZKing

You may want to look into the "under hood" set up at Classic Auto Air.
It is pricey but you get EVERYTHING uinder the hood to convert to the new stuff inluding the new style lightweight compressor.
As original as mine is (going to be) this is the one thing I want to work perfectly.
That is the way I am going.
Comes with res/dr, comp, cond, hoses, lines, brackets etc.

rudyjrusa

Quote from: randy73 on August 28, 2012, 01:28:45 PM
Bought car and a/c does not work, I know it needs a compressor and new o-rings, what else do I need to get?

Hoses seem to be in good shape.

BTW: going to use r134.

i think if you switch over to r134 - u will have to change the hoses.

randy73

Why would I need to change the hoses?
I know I need to change the o-rings because the r134 molecules are smaller than r12.

elacruze

Quote from: randy73 on August 29, 2012, 09:10:06 AM
Why would I need to change the hoses?
I know I need to change the o-rings because the r134 molecules are smaller than r12.

for exactly the same reason. The r134a will eventually evaporate through the r12 hoses.

FWIW unless you're doing a correct OEM restoration, I'd replace everything underhood with the Classic Air setup. (I did) It will cool much better, you can't blow up the compressor, you save about 30 lbs of weight and any shop can service it without being scared off by the old school stuff.
Also, replace the r12 condenser with Classic's r134a condenser. I have the r12 because it was the only one available at the time, and as they told me it would it overheats and stops blowing cold after extended periods of hot-weather driving.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

randy73

Classic Auto Air does not make anything for 71-74 b-body. They will sell you the compressor, but they do not have any brackets to mount it.

elacruze - how does molecules go through the hoses?

Never heard of that happening before.

elacruze

Bouchillon can hook you up.

http://bouchillonperformance.com/BPEaircondition.asp

Molecules? Simple. They're smaller than the spaces between the rubber molecules and leak out through the holes.

Typically you'll have to get the system recharged every season.

Alternatively, if you're trying to save money and all your pieces are in place, use what you have and get what you can out of it. You'll need to figure out why it doesn't run, whether or not any of the components have failed, and install an r134a expansion valve.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

randy73

Thanks for the link and info elacruze!!     :2thumbs: