News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

possible Short Block acquisition and swapping parts

Started by XH29N0G, August 25, 2012, 04:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

OK, so I am still trying to figure out a plan to update the engine in my charger.  One of the responses to a recent post I made about buying a block to build mentioned an alternative might be to buy a short block.

My Question:   Is it inadvisable to buy a short block and swap parts (more information below) or should I be doing a reality check and looking for an engine builder or looking to buy a crate motor that has been run on a dyno and broken in?

I have a 383 that runs well and has a decent set of heads and manifold (edelbrock RPM), and engine bay is set up for it.  I would like a stroker B block, from what I have read, the 470/400 combination looks like what I am looking for, but a notch up or down also seems OK.   The car is being restored and the engine is presently out of the car.  It will have a 5 speed (TKO600).

The options I have considered are

• (1)building it myself (I do not have experience and the big issue here is my experience and the time I am likely to have available).

(2)Having someone else build it.  This is an option, but I have to find someone to do this.

(3)Buying a short block and swapping parts I presently have (I realize some things would need to be changed like the cam and I assume it would be a good idea to refresh things like fuel, oil, and water pumps – I do not actually know what comes on a short block other than the block and rotating assembly.

(4)Buying a crate engine.  I think this might be a little more expensive than #3 because I would buy heads and manifold which I do not necessarily need.
My budget.  Honestly, I would prefer to be around 5K +/- 0.5 K but I don't think that is realistic and am assuming it will be more like 8K.

Also if someone wants to school me on the advantages and disadvantages of these possibilities, I am all ears

What I want is a streetable engine, in the 500HP range that will last with the car.

I have heard good things about Muscle Motors and was going to give them a call.  I will try others, but they are top on my list right now.  Suggestions/alternatives to this plan are also of interest.

I appreciate any feedback I get.

James
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

nvrbdn

my response is to take a college course that has automotive like a jr college. here we have lewis and clark. take the engine rebuilding class. you will rebuild your engine as you wish and do all the work with instructors aiding you. its a great class and a good learning experience. i did a 302 for my 70 mustang shaving the heads. doing my own valve job. boreing my own block. a good class.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

John_Kunkel

Like Dirty Harry said "A man has to know his limitations". Building a motor yourself will always be cheaper than having somebody else do it but, if you're limited in experience, building is its own experience....we all had to start somewhere.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

XH29N0G

Two votes for building rather than buying something put together.  Are there other thoughts?

I am really trying to figure out whether there is a difference between having a machine shop check the block and rotating assembly and having them (or me assemble it) or buying a short block already prepared from some place like muscle motors or one of the other places listed in other posts.

My concern is knowing that machining, tolerances, and parts matching are done correctly, and this is not something I have had experience with.  I think I found a good shop on a recommendation from my own campus machine shop which mostly helps me build lab equipment, but have not introduced myself and do not know if they will work with me. 

I also have not yet succeeded in finding a community college course like that described.  I know they must be out there, but don't see them in my local county community college.  Lots of other courses though.  I'll keep looking, but aside from the obvious related to machining and measuring, I get the sense that I can figure out the other parts of the process. 

Thanks for the posts.  The information I have received from the board has been helpful.

Or maybe it protects us. 

Chryco Psycho

When I started using my machinist the way he put it is I have to assemble the short block 3 times to get the machining right , if you want me to disassemble it after that so you can put it together I will , I told him to leave it together !! I would still have it built the way you want  it though

Challenger340

IMO
The days of simply running into Joe Blows Machine works, and getting a "machine package" done on your parts, that you can then take home and assemble on your own are pretty much long gone.....
In todays world of CNC and mass prodced parts, with little if any Operator proficiency, 1 slight mistake, can result in literally thousands of incorrect pieces which results in "stacked" tolerance deficiencies on spec.
Bearings that are too thick, or too thin....Rings with the wrong curvature, Root depths on Pistons that are too deep...Crank Filets that are waaay too large...not to mention journal taper and out of round...believe me, I have seen it all over the last few years.

Not saying you can not do it yourself successfully....just stressing the importance when going that route..of finding and using a 'blueprint" style Machine Shop that checks and "sets" the fit of each part to the next.

For example;
If you buy Connecting Rods, or wish to have existing Rods re-sized, and your Machinist does NOT request the Rod Bearings and Crank they will be mated to as a "baseline" for the Sizing relationship to SET the bearing clearance while re-sizing the Rods.....
walk away because your Machinist is a dimbulb going the way of the do-do bird.

You may get lucky....but these days "stock" specs mean less and less, and simply Maching individual parts to them by themselves, is rife for disaster.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

XH29N0G

Challenger 340.  So I read your warning as 'know the machine shop can do the work, will check the work, and if you need to check the work yourself'.  This makes sense and is my biggest concern because I am a newby.  It is also the reason why I started to wonder about buying a short block already assembled and taking it from there (or a full engine already assembled).  

Is there a place to look find reputable blueprint machine shop? My strategy has been to ask machinists I met where I work who build lab equipment, and to look through the postings here and elswhere.  That is where the muscle motors statement came from and also the statement about possibly finding a good machine shop.  

Or maybe it protects us.