News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

VIN number on trans, there or not?

Started by My9302002, August 24, 2012, 11:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My9302002

Have looked at a bunch of 69 chargers.
Have found VIN numbers on the blocks
no problem.... Have not found them on the
Transmission. Soooo, how come I see
ads where it's stated that the VIN is
stamped on the trans  in "numbers matching" cars.
Just want to be buying the real thing.
Thanks
Andrew
69 RT/SE B5 Blue

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

My9302002

Exactly where I'm looking, however the numbers
Always appear to be sandblasted/worn off.
Is this the norm? I've passed on a few cars
cause I can never clearly see the stampings
in the pad you've shown.
Andrew
69 RT/SE B5 Blue

John_Kunkel

A replacement transmission would't have a VIN stamp, the dealers were supposed to stamp replacements but few did. A complete replacement trans would have the part number, build date, etc. stamping.

A replacement case would have neither the VIN or part number stamped.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

My9302002

Thanks..
Guess I'll hold out till I see the VIN
numbers on the trans like they're supposed
to be.
I want to have a charger with the main
parts it was born with.
Andrew
69 RT/SE B5 Blue

lloyd3

I have read that the top lip of the bellhousing on the passenger side can have stampings as well. I think I've even seen pictures of this.

John_Kunkel

VIN stamps on the top of the bellhousing was '68, if it has the raised boss in the pic the VIN would be there.

XH29N0G

I don't have my car here so I cannot check, but the VIN should start with XS, XP XH, etc... right.  I just checked the three speed I took out of 1 1970 in 1983 and do not see a number that starts with those letters.  The build date is the dame and there are a bunch of other things stamped on the transmission.  I will keep looking, but my guess is while seeing the VIN would make a clear link for numbers matching, having it missing might not? 

Thoughts?
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

lloyd3

In 1968 maybe so.  I researched the matter in the process of figuring out my own car and was told by a very credible source that VIN numbers were used only in late 1968.  Early cars do not have them.  Where they started using them in the year wasn't discussed.  All 1969 cars should have them.

John_Kunkel

The '68 VIN stamping didn't include the body code like the early '69 did.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: lloyd3 on August 28, 2012, 11:34:23 PM
In 1968 maybe so.  I researched the matter in the process of figuring out my own car and was told by a very credible source that VIN numbers were used only in late 1968.  Early cars do not have them.  Where they started using them in the year wasn't discussed.  All 1969 cars should have them.

There is far too much bad information and guessing out there on 68 VIN stampings. To my knowledge, no one has published credible research on the subject.

Different plants may have started stamping VINs at different times which would make it appear that VINs weren't stamped until later. Here's a 109*** VIN from STL (indicating an SPD of about 824). VINs were stamped early in the year depending on the plant. The 8G130150 VIN would be about A01 production, which is certainly not 'late'.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

XH29N0G

OK, you got me.  I was mistaken.  I just went downstairs again to check, and yes the VIN is on the pad of the 3 speed transmission as well.  (also st louis)  that is pretty neat and fun to learn.

Or maybe it protects us. 

69CoronetRT

Quote from: jfarquha on August 29, 2012, 06:26:59 PM
OK, you got me.  I was mistaken.  I just went downstairs again to check, and yes the VIN is on the pad of the 3 speed transmission as well.  (also st louis)  that is pretty neat and fun to learn.

If you found a VIN on a three speed transmission from 1968 STL, that pretty much debunks the myth that only HP engines were stamped.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

XH29N0G

It has a 383 H on the engine.  It was ordered with the magnum, but in an 70 XH.

3 spd floor
bench seat
HD suspension
383 H

A strange combination - but my dad intended it to be a family car.  He grew up on a farm with racing boats and rodeos and took a job as an art history professor so as I understand was flying under the radar.  Once told me a nosecone and tail fin would have been too much for a starting prof's image. 

Or maybe it protects us.