News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is the correct idler bracket, spacer, and pulley on a 1969 440 AC car

Started by Charger69RTSE, August 23, 2012, 08:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger69RTSE

Can someone tell me what the correct idler bracket, spacer, and pulley is for a 1969 Dodge Charger 440 AC Car?  I believe that there are (2) different brackets out there, one that is non symmetrical and one that is symmetrical.  I am told that the non symmetrical one is for small blocks and the symmetrical one is for big blocks, or are they both for big blocks and are for different years?  Also, there are (2) different cast spacers for the bracket, one that has the same length on both legs and one that has one leg shorter than the other, is this because the boss is different on different water pumps?  I believe that the idler pulley is the same for both (the one I am referring to is the one with the stud on the back and not the bolt through), can someone tell me what the correct part number is for this pulley.  If anyone has any pictures that show what the correct mounting is for this assembly to the engine along with the alternator mounting would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance. 

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Charger69RTSE on August 23, 2012, 08:40:40 PM
Can someone tell me what the correct idler bracket, spacer, and pulley is for a 1969 Dodge Charger 440 AC Car?  I believe that there are (2) different brackets out there, one that is non symmetrical and one that is symmetrical.  I am told that the non symmetrical one is for small blocks and the symmetrical one is for big blocks, or are they both for big blocks and are for different years?  Also, there are (2) different cast spacers for the bracket, one that has the same length on both legs and one that has one leg shorter than the other, is this because the boss is different on different water pumps?  I believe that the idler pulley is the same for both (the one I am referring to is the one with the stud on the back and not the bolt through), can someone tell me what the correct part number is for this pulley.  If anyone has any pictures that show what the correct mounting is for this assembly to the engine along with the alternator mounting would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance. 

This is a 440 idler pulley, bracket & cast spacer.

The 440 spacer is off set

Hope these shots help
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger69RTSE

Thanks, this helps alot.  Would you happen to know the part number for the idler pulley?  Couple more questions, does your set-up have a bracket (which has two holes and one threaded hole) that mounts to the cylinder head for the alternator bolt to mount to or does it mount to the head itself.  Also, I have (2) alternator brackets with different length slots for the adjustment, is the longer slot correct or should it be the shorter slot for a 1969 car?  As always, thanks for your help.  I am getting closer to having all the parts that I need to build my motor, just a few more details.

Just 6T9 CHGR

That alt spacer/bracket you describe is 383 only....440 cars mount directly to the head with no extra adapter needed.

I have seen both the longer slot & shorter slot on 440 cars for 69 (along with 2 different diameter AC compressor pulleys for that matter)

I run the larger 6 1/4" pulley & the shorter slot bracket

Part # for the idler pulley itself is 2240397

Heres an NOS one for a mere $350 :rotz:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260902392266&item=260902392266&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466#ht_500wt_923
Chris' '69 Charger R/T