News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question for transmission guru's (727 Auto)

Started by jaak, August 18, 2012, 08:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaak

The 727 behind my 440 was my first rebuild. I was assisted by a guy that has built trans all his life. I built it a few years back and its been sitting in my shop until I got my car running back a few months ago.

Car drives pretty good, but here is a couple of concerns I've noticed. 1.) Sometimes when coming to a stop, its almost like you can hear something winding down, then the car lunges. If you were to try to take off before the 'lunge', it will slip (rev up as if in neutral) then takes off fine. 2). when letting off/braking going into a sharp curve, then throttling when coming out, it slips. Also seems like shift from 1-2 is not smooth, but it doesn't do this all the time, but I have noticed it. Also want to note it does have a B&M shift kit in it.

Any ideas? Any adjustments I need to make? Or do I need to yank it out, and pay someone to re-rebuild it?

Thanks,
Jason

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Cooter

Kickdown linkage Hooked up/adjusted properly?
Bands adjusted AFTER run-in?
Also, did you turn up the line pressure? (IE: installed "Shift kit")
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

John_Kunkel

Quote from: jaak on August 18, 2012, 08:25:52 PM

Car drives pretty good, but here is a couple of concerns I've noticed. 1.) Sometimes when coming to a stop, its almost like you can hear something winding down, then the car lunges. If you were to try to take off before the 'lunge', it will slip (rev up as if in neutral) then takes off fine.

This is a function of the overrunning clutch (sprag) and can be exacerbated by a higher-than-normal engine idle speed or misadjusted TP linkage. The linkage is hooked up...right?

Quote2). when letting off/braking going into a sharp curve, then throttling when coming out, it slips. Also seems like shift from 1-2 is not smooth, but it doesn't do this all the time, but I have noticed it. Also want to note it does have a B&M shift kit in it.

This sounds like a low fluid level. As mentioned, check the level in Neutral when warmed up. B&M makes several "shift kits" some not bad, some not so good.

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

jaak

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 19, 2012, 04:36:24 PM
Quote from: jaak on August 18, 2012, 08:25:52 PM

Car drives pretty good, but here is a couple of concerns I've noticed. 1.) Sometimes when coming to a stop, its almost like you can hear something winding down, then the car lunges. If you were to try to take off before the 'lunge', it will slip (rev up as if in neutral) then takes off fine.

This is a function of the overrunning clutch (sprag) and can be exacerbated by a higher-than-normal engine idle speed or misadjusted TP linkage. The linkage is hooked up...right?

Linkage is hooked up, and I adjusted it according to the FSM, but I will double check everything.

Jason

jaak

Update...
I did re-adjust the kickdown linkage, looks as if I didn't have the lever (on trans) pushed all the way foward when adjusting the first time, and it was a little low on trans fluid (looks like I got a leak at the seal on shaft where levers mount). Car is driving/shifting a million times better!

Thanks for the input!

Jason