News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best way to get an engine and block for rebuild

Started by XH29N0G, August 20, 2012, 04:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

Is there any advantage (or disadvantage) to buying an old engine from a listing on craigslist as opposed to finding one at a junkyard?

I want to try my hand at building a B block stroker that behaves nicely on the street. 

I have a bare 383 block that may or may not be good and am thinking about a 400 block.  I also have none of the other parts that I think I might use (water pump, valve covers, oil pan, etc..) which I assume would come from an engine I bought and tore down to rebuild.   
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Dodgerdallas

Craigslist or junkyard,its a crap shoot-you dont truly know what youve got till u break it down,hopefully if it needs boring out-which u better count on,theres enough meat left in the cylinders to do it after you paid for it.I would go with the one I felt most comfortable with and has the most parts attached I could use.
This is gonna be cheap and easy......

Scaregrabber

I like to buy them running and look for something that looks like it hasn't been wrenched on (original engine paint on gaskets etc.) But they're getting harder to find. I hate seeing C-bodies get wrecked out but if you find a rusty Chrysler with a decent looking unmolested 440 you've hit pay dirt. If you do find a runner look for clean A/F and oil and watch for leaks.

Sheldon

FLG

I talked about this in another thread, ive bought a bunch of engines all used and non running...some already apart so hat made things easier. If there not running i usually make the guy a deal ill only buy it if i can take the heads off...ill bring tools and remove the heads if there is no bad rust or scoring that cant be cleaned up ill buy it, if there is ill gladly put it back together if they want. Never had anyone say "No"

Ghoste

Yep either way is an equal gamble for the most part.  Personally I would like to see it before I buy and get them as complete as possble.

Cooter

If one is looking for guarantees when looking for an engine block, then one should buy a stroker from a comany like Muscle Motors and get a warranty, other than this, you roll the dice like the rest and hope you scored.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"