News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

exchanging center sections?

Started by Crazy440, August 21, 2012, 01:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy440

I've ordered a 8 3/4 center section with 2.94 gears.  I'm running 4.30s, now.  Need something a little more suited for the highway, from time to time. My question is. once set-up, is it just a matter of pulling the axles and switching back to the 4.30s, when I want to have some fun. axles have green axle bearings. Anything else? (I know refill fluid, etc.)
Thanks
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.

mvandale

Did the same thing recently: swapped from 4.10 gears to the full-highway 2.76s.  The center sections & axles I believe are interchangeable.  However, the only thing you'll need to check is the u-joint size in the differential/pinion yoke.  There are two types: small & large.  If you swap center sections with a large/small u-joint size yoke and it isn't the same as the diameter of the u-joint in your driveshaft, it won't bolt up.

I can't remember the exact diameter differences (lots of easy info to be googled), but one option is just to get a different yoke to match up with your driveshaft u-joint diameter.

BUT if going the option of changing the yoke, also keep in mind that there are two different pinion yokes (besides the u-joint diameter size): fine spline & course spline.  In any event,  there are usually plenty of them available on eBay.

Sorry if I gave a confusing answer.

oldcarnut

Getting ready to yank mine for different reason.  Don't forget to have on hand an extra gasket and the correct speedo pinion to match your tire/gear ratio.

Chryco Psycho

Very straight forward , pull the axles  & drop out the carrier .
you need a new gasket & I use ultra black silicone to seal it , you may have to remove the floater inside the gearset though with the green brgs , often the axles sit a little deeper in the housing with green brgs .
It works best if you have the same size yolk for both gearsets but you can get a conversion joint from precision to adapt the u joint if the sizes are different .
the speedo pinion is the other swap , by jacking up the rear of the car & leaving the front on the ground you will not lose a lot of fluid when you pull the adapter out

Crazy440

Thanks, everyone, for the info.  I'd totally forgot about the speedo.
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.

resq302

Neil,

What is the easiest way to figure out what speedometer gear you need?  Our chally is running fast (reading higher speed than what you are going) and we would like to get it so it is correct.  I know the radial tires we have on it are smaller than the original F70-14s.  Is there any kind of chart or conversion formula?

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Chryco Psycho

Mopar made it simple , rule of thumb is 3.23 gear use 32 tooth
4.10 use 41 but it can be off by one tooth depending on tire height

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ghoste

And should you pull the axles all the way out, be very careful not to nick the seal at the end of the tube.

Scaregrabber

Yup: Just pull the axles out enough to clear the centre section. I also match the speedo gear to the gear ratio, it's generally within 2% or 3% that way. 27 for a 2.76 etc.

Sheldon

tan top

what other guys say  :yesnod: :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

also if your wanting to remove the axle shafts , with out any chance of seal damage , what i do is  , roll  paper round the axle shaft  after pulling it out sufficiently  , then slide that down through the seal , then pull axle out through it   , installing same
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

AKcharger

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 21, 2012, 09:43:18 PM
Mopar made it simple , rule of thumb is 3.23 gear use 32 tooth
4.10 use 41 but it can be off by one tooth depending on tire height

That works with a 26.2" tire.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.