News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

400 rebuild question

Started by rayderluvr, August 17, 2012, 10:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayderluvr

After spending years looking for the right charger for the right price, I found a 73 SE with a 400 4bbl. I am doing suspension, interior, and body (paint) work first, but was wondering if anyone could give me tips for the engine rebuild. I would like to use the original engine, would like to make 450 hp, and be able to drive the car anywhere (ultra reliable). I do have two 440 core engines (complete), I could use one of them as well. Oh yeah, I would like to use stock cast iron exhaust manifolds. Am I crazy, dreaming, or a little of both?

Chryco Psycho

Good plan , use the 400 block with a 451 CI stroker kit , use a cam & intake to keep the powerband in the 1800-5500 range with a wide centerline around 112*  , 450 hp is easy to accomplish even with manifolds

rayderluvr

Thank you for the response. I have been doing internet research on the stroker motors, but wanted some "personal" verification that I am on the right track. Any suggestions on a good place to get good parts? Does anyone sell a complete kit that includes all of the parts I will need? I have looked at 440source.com, but wondered if anyone else had a kit I could compare with....

Thanks again!!

Scaregrabber

I think Hughes Engines may have a kit as well and if they do I would deal with them as they have a good rep. They could do your heads and help you pick the right camshaft as well. The 451 or 470 based 400 will really increase the fun factor in your car.

Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Hughes has good parts but their customer service is terrible , they are their own worst enemy  :brickwall: