News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What oil should I use in my 383?

Started by lexxman, April 02, 2014, 11:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lexxman

I friend and I rebuilt my 69 383 last summer and I've heard that you shouldn't use modern oils in old engines. I was looking at the joe Gibb's muscle car oil. Opinions?

Sublime/Sixpack

Joe Gibbs Hot Rod (HR) oil is very good oil. I switched over to it a few years ago. No regrets!
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

myk

Unless you've got a good supply of oil made in the 60's, any oil that you buy today will be a modern oil.  What you need to do is pick a modern oil with plenty of zinc, or buy any oil you want and add the zinc to it.  Heck, there are even people that say the zinc or any other additive isn't necesary. 

OR.....you can go dizzy and nuts reading all of the oil threads/debates and just give up altogether...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

lexxman

Quote from: myk on April 02, 2014, 05:55:12 PM
Unless you've got a good supply of oil made in the 60's, any oil that you buy today will be a modern oil.  What you need to do is pick a modern oil with plenty of zinc, or buy any oil you want and add the zinc to it.  Heck, there are even people that say the zinc or any other additive isn't necessary. 

OR.....you can go dizzy and nuts reading all of the oil threads/debates and just give up altogether...
Well that's it .I have some people tell, oh your fine with any oil and then others say no no you have to use the stuff for older engines.  I think I'll switch over to the JB oil or something like it. Like you said ,something with high zinc. Cause I'm already a little nuts,so I don't need any more.lol One guy I know swears the reason his engine died is from modern oil.

c00nhunterjoe

The short version is modern api standards removed zddp (lube) from the oil to save catylitic converters. In a roller cammed motor its not a big deal. In our older flat tappet engines it is. The lack of lube will cause the lifters to grind away at the cam lobes.

I run brad penn oil.

Dino

10W-40 of the plain modern stuff, with zinc additive for the cam, in a 440.  Runs smooth and stays cool.  I'll change it this summer and will let you know if any metal shavings came out. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

firefighter3931

Brad Penn semi synthetic racing oil....best stuff out there by far !  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69chargerboy

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on April 02, 2014, 02:27:16 PM
Joe Gibbs Hot Rod (HR) oil is very good oil. I switched over to it a few years ago. No regrets!

:iagree:
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup