News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 Days and 2000 Miles in a 73 "U" Code Rallye

Started by Chargerguy74, August 18, 2012, 09:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargerguy74

Just got home with the new Charger! What a fun trip it was. This car has been advertised for years and I finally decided to add an automatic to the Rallye collection. After talking with the owner, Steve, last year and deciding to pass on the car, he called me this spring with a lower price and was also flexible. The timing was right for me and we struck a deal on the phone. I flew down to check the car out in May and put down a deposit on it. Steve is a great guy and was willing to work with me on the transaction as I was working non stop and couldn't grab the car until August. Between flying down to Ohio with the deposit, and the second flight down to grab the car, I did go through a little buyer's remorse, but I am a really happy camper now. I think my understanding of what the car really is differs slightly from Steve's, but regardless, it's still a 440 Rallye in the exact exterior color combo I've been looking for.

Flew down Monday night and hit the road Tuesday afternoon. I had two 700 mile days back to back and wanted to keep cruising, but the sun just wouldn't stay up long enough. I crossed the border into Canada Thursday night and made it home the next day. The car did very well the whole trip (thanks to Steve for getting it ready) and I never had to touch a single tool along the way. I also managed to get a pretty serious tan on the left side of my neck and the top of my left arm...looks pretty funny. All in all the total distance travelled was just over 2000 miles.

Anyway, this car is WH23U3A100002. It is a Press Preview car. Originally FE5 with a white vinyl top, blacked out hood, V6R gradated side stripes, and a console automatic. Here are a few pics from the road.

For Nacho or anyone else who will notice, the shoulder belts appear to have been added at a later date, the job wasn't done too well either.

Hotel parking lot on the morning of day 2:

Day 2, Chicago:

Day 3, Border Crossing at Portal, North Dakota:

What the car looked like from factory. Photo courtesy of Phoenix Graphix:

Sorry for the large pics. My comp can't handle trying to resize them, it'll just freeze.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

Chryco Psycho

Chargerguy74

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 18, 2012, 11:40:28 PM
Congrats , How is the gunmetal car doing ??

Thanks. It's still chillin inside, waiting its turn. Just started my 3 week vacation and will be playing with the Aztec and Sienna Rallye cars. Talked with one of the previous owners of the gunmetal car recently too. One more to call. Im also trying to thin out the herd to a more manageable level right now so I can get more done on the select few I'm keeping.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

Chargerguy74

Quote from: Brightyellow69rtse on August 18, 2012, 10:12:28 PM
musta been a great ride congrats :2thumbs:

Yeah, it was great, just wasn't sure what to do with my left foot the whole time lol. It's been a while now since I've driven an automatic. Once I crossed the border and was within trailering range I definitely leaned into the pedal a lot more.....it would put a smile on my face everytime.

Bob T

Nice one and Congrats.
A 2000 mile trip and no problems  :2thumbs:
Those side decals are just the pick of the bunch   :coolgleamA:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

1970Moparmann

Very cool.  Is that the car that was on Moparts for a LONG time?  Awesome..... :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Chryco Psycho

Chargerguy74

Yeah, it was on Moparts for quite some time, as well as in MCG on and off. It's also supposed to be in an upcoming issue of MCG in an article titled "The Holy Grails of Mopar" or something along that line.

71dodgechargerrt

Chargerguy74

Scaregrabber

Neat car: I was one of the guys watching it and wondering why it didn't sell. I think if he had just added the side decals it would have been enough to make the car's appearance more interesting and it would have sold much sooner. That must have been a great trip.

Sheldon

Ghoste

I love road trip stories the most.  Congrats on the car, it looks great. (and I don't know that I find the pics all that large, they add to the grandeur of it all)

Chargerguy74

Yeah, he had an NOS set of stripes for the car, but I'm glad he never put them on. I might slap a set of reproductions on soon just for fun.

hemi68charger

Ahhh,, You bought that car !!!!!  Wasn't it for sale for a long time on moparts.com? I had my eye on that car... Glad it went to a good home........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

EccentricMagpies

Quote from: Scaregrabber on August 19, 2012, 12:00:25 PM
Neat car: I was one of the guys watching it and wondering why it didn't sell. I think if he had just added the side decals it would have been enough to make the car's appearance more interesting and it would have sold much sooner. That must have been a great trip.

Sheldon

Funny, that was something I always thought too..

:cheers:
Congrats on the new addition Ryan.  Nice looking car.  I like that orig. look on that car from your photo.
'74 Rallye 4spd (WH23L4) (1 of 94)
'74 Rallye Auto (WH23L4) (quad black)
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

PocketThunder

Sure you drive right by and we dont get a call?   :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

silvercloud

I watched that car for a while too and thought it was supercool. Neat to see it came to Alberta-I'm down around Drumheller. If you're up to showing it, I'd love to have a look at it next time I'm up there.

Thanks
Jason

Chargerguy74

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 21, 2012, 08:22:23 PM
Ahhh,, You bought that car !!!!!  Wasn't it for sale for a long time on moparts.com? I had my eye on that car... Glad it went to a good home........

Yeah it was, a few years I think. It was listed fairly high and the price slowly dropped. When he was down to 10 was when I called him the first time, but ended up passing.

Quote from: EccentricMagpies on August 21, 2012, 08:25:39 PM
Funny, that was something I always thought too..

:cheers:
Congrats on the new addition Ryan.  Nice looking car.  I like that orig. look on that car from your photo.

Thanks John. I've always wanted an FE5 car with V6R stripes. I figured this one would do, but it needs a total resto before it'll look like the car in that pic I posted.

Quote from: PocketThunder on August 21, 2012, 08:30:22 PM
Sure you drive right by and we dont get a call?   :icon_smile_big:

Lol, I wish things could have worked out a little better. Like hitting the Nats before heading back or doing some sightseeing. Minnesota was a nice drive :icon_smile_cool:

Quote from: silvercloud on August 21, 2012, 09:05:58 PM
I watched that car for a while too and thought it was supercool. Neat to see it came to Alberta-I'm down around Drumheller. If you're up to showing it, I'd love to have a look at it next time I'm up there.

Thanks
Jason

Keep in touch. It'll see some local car shows next year too...with a couple of its friends.

Ryan