News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mopar broadcast sheet decoder book

Started by Ghoste, August 17, 2012, 10:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

There is a book by Jake Hare for decoding Mopar braodcast sheets from 1969 to 1974.  I have a copy but I have yet to sit down and go through it  :slap: , but I had two questions about it.  First of all, I see it was released with at least two different covers, is one an updated version and therefore more desirable or or are they both the same?  Secondly, how accurate is it?

bakerhillpins

I have always wanted to try to figure those out and then write an application that would OCR them and auto decode. Problem was I only have my sheet decoded and that doesn't have nearly enough information. Seems that the folks at the registries should have lots of info on them that we could cross reference against. Of course mine was decoded by Galien so it's only as correct as he was in 93.  :Twocents:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Ghoste on August 17, 2012, 10:36:48 AM
There is a book by Jake Hare for decoding Mopar braodcast sheets from 1969 to 1974.  I have a copy but I have yet to sit down and go through it  :slap: , but I had two questions about it.  First of all, I see it was released with at least two different covers, is one an updated version and therefore more desirable or or are they both the same?  Secondly, how accurate is it?

I guess I can't speak to the cover or updates but as far as accuracy....

The version I have, probably first printing, is good for "Intro to Broadcast Sheets". It gives a nice description of the different layouts, what the sheet was for and what is on a broadcast sheet but for accuracy.......no. There are a lot of mistakes and omissions. Some sections are just simply inexcusibly incomplete. The data is out there but omitted from the book.

It's nice for theory. The many mistakes and omissions mean you can't trust the remaining data enough for it to be a true reference book. It may get you started on a sheet but you need check other sources to ensure accuracy. Hare also doesn't cover a lot of the detail nuances between plants. To do so would make the book less readable for pleasure and bog down the reader in boring minutiae.

Maybe the second printing, if there was an update, is more accurate.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Ghoste

Is there a reliable source out there yet or is this a knowledge base that is still growing and mainly accessed still through means such as this.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Ghoste on August 18, 2012, 02:19:21 AM
Is there a reliable source out there yet or is this a knowledge base that is still growing and mainly accessed still through means such as this.

Ghoste,

I haven't come across a single site or reference. It takes several references such as a parts book, the white books, data books and other factory documents to find information.

The problem with trying to accomplish a single reference is the amout of research and detail required. Because codes and parts change during the model year, you need legible copies of BS from pretty much every make, model, body style, engine line up and transmission combination, interior combinations, decor group combinations, option package combinations, A/C or  not, etc, etc and from every plant and from different times of the year in order to make the reference valid. Parts were sometimes substituted or phased in and assemblies were redesigned during production meaning assembly codes or part numbers listed on a BS will change. What was correct in August when assembly began may not be the same in July/August when production ended.

THEN, you need to check every every model year for the same details.

When you think about the number of variables possible on a BS, you can go numb. Access to factory records documenting changes would be invaluable.

Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Ghoste

So a group forum similar to this is going to be the best way for quite some time most likely.  The only way really to get a variety of sources together it looks.

Dodge Don

The 70 Charger Registry has 3 broadcast sheet decoders (base, 500 and R/T) based on actual data.

http://1970chargerregistry.com/decoders.html

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Ghoste on August 19, 2012, 01:46:40 AM
So a group forum similar to this is going to be the best way for quite some time most likely. 

IMHO yes. I think a commercialy viable and accurate product would be very difficult to pull together.

Like Don's link shows, the various registries are great sources and able to narrow their focus to one year or model.