News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do you think DOH is more popular in certain regions over others?

Started by Ghoste, August 18, 2012, 12:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

It'd be a better served question on one of the DOH sites but I figure the GL fans from there have a lot of crossover here so on of you might know.  No reason for asking really other than being curious.

Brock Lee

I really do not think so. I know many think it is most popular in the south, but in my experience, its popularity is pretty much the same in all regions. Sure, there are areas where it wont be quite so popular, but if you break the US into about 5-6 pieces, I would say the interest is rather evenly spread.

BTW, I know of more GL replicas in New Jersey than I do in Georgia. What does that mean? I don't know..just think it is interesting.

Ghoste

It is interesting and certainly not a state where I would have guessed a big GL following.

doctor4766

There are plenty of GLs around the world.
Don't forget the show was aired worldwide.
I was in the Middle East a year or so ago and DOH was playing on one of the channels.
No one there was familiar with the show OR the car, but that was only in the house I was visiting.
Gotta love a '69

Ghoste

Oh yeah, I fully understand that.  It just seemed to me that these Dukes festivals are held more in the southeast US and I didn't really think that was the only pocket of interest.  There was even a GL at a concour's d elegance in Dubai a few year ago.

Brock Lee

They tried Atlanta and were disappointed, but they were also hoping to break records after mainstream Dukes popularity waned. 2004-6 interest will never be repeated.

Ghoste

I should know but that time period coincides exactly with the movie?

Mike DC

Yeah, 2004-6 was the peak of the popularity, which I don't think anyone expects to ever be surpassed again.  The movie came out in 2005 but it didn't inject nearly as much new blood into the hobby as it could have.

Regionally, I think the interest as shifted over time.  I think it used to be more popular in the South & Appalachia decades ago, but now the popularly has evened out throughout the country. 

The show used to have a bit more of a regional subculture appeal during its original run, especially in the first couple of seasons before WB had totally sold out and targeted the show at little kids.  Now its more of a mainstream pop-culture nostalgia thing that appeals to kids of the early 1980s who have grown up.  Maybe it's partly because life in the South/Appalachia has become gradually more modernized in the last 35 years.  Hazzard County was never realistic but it has become a bit more removed from reality than it was in 1979. 

6pkrtse

I have to admit. I watch it all of the time when the play a DOH Marathon on TNN & I am in Mi.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

marshallfry01

I love The Dukes of Hazzard and I really love the General Lee.  I live in South West Ar and I have never, not one time seen a general lee in my home state.  I have been looking for a charger for 15 years and the one and only charger I found was about fifty miles away. (That junk 1970 that I talked about on here a few months ago.)  The show is very popular around here. Everyone and their mother know who The Dukes are.  But when you live in Chevy land down here you just never ever see any mopars.  Much less 2nd generation chargers.
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

myk

Every where in America is Chevy-Land, which is fine by me; more Mopar action for Myk.  As for the DOH, didn't they try to revive the t.v. show during the time of the movie? 

Ghoste

Good question,  I don't recall seeing it being promoted again at that time but a lot of television slips by me without notice.

Brock Lee

The Dukes of Hazzard revival happened over the course of years. It started in the mid 90's when TNN brought the show back to TV. It picked up viewers that were fans of the show, and many new ones that were too young to remember the show. It was so popular that 2 reunions specials were made. Merchandising picked back up and the online forums gathered people together interested in the show.

But there was a era where it seemed to die off again. I am thinking it was around 2002-3. They took the show off TV, the online people interested were declining, etc. Then things started to pick up when the movie began filming as the press had started speculation who was going to act in it, so the whole thing once again was brought into the mainstream. Things started picking up again.

Then the movie hit and it was out of control. This time there were larger numbers of original fans that were previously in college during the TNN revival now with families interested. People that watched it on TNN for a couple years and moved away were coming back as well. This is also when car values bubble was still growing. I think a lot of guys thought a GL would be a "Fun" investment for the future..and a crap load were traded and built during this time.

But the phase passed, the bubble burst, a lot of guys took big losses on their GL's. Many were "De-Generalized". Now it seems things are kind of back to where they were around 2002 again. There are more replicas out there than before, but it isn't the "tight knit" crowd like it used to be.

myk

Quote from: Ghoste on August 19, 2012, 02:21:09 AM
Good question,  I don't recall seeing it being promoted again at that time but a lot of television slips by me without notice.

Yeah, I seem to recall Bo and Luke knock-offs that were 100 x's worse than Coy and Vance ever were; I will say that the delicious brunette that was supposed to be the new Daisy was very easy on the eyes, so at least they got the car and the girl right, lol.  And....I found a 'pic:

Mytur Binsdirti

It's been rumored that the the show is a hit in the gay community.  :lol:

doctor4766

Quote from: Ghoste on August 19, 2012, 02:21:09 AM
a lot of television slips by me without notice.
I'm not suprised with more than 23,000 posts in here....
Gotta love a '69

Ghoste

Brock Lee

darkside

Dukes is what got me into mopars as i watched the show in the 70's and 80's as a child.My first car in 1987 was a 1969 charger  i was 14 at the time.
Dukes was a good family show, I do wish they didn't tear up so many chargers .

areibel

Quote from: Ghoste on August 18, 2012, 02:46:51 AM
It is interesting and certainly not a state where I would have guessed a big GL following.

More popular in NJ than Georgia?   Hmmmm.  Maybe they still have lots of lead paint on the walls in NJ?   :scratchchin:

UH60L

Quote from: darkside on August 19, 2012, 08:42:07 AM
Dukes is what got me into mopars as i watched the show in the 70's and 80's as a child.My first car in 1987 was a 1969 charger  i was 14 at the time.
Dukes was a good family show, I do wish they didn't tear up so many chargers .

Less than .1 percent of all '68 and '69 chargers were used/destroyed by the DOH tv show.  Thousands were destroyed in the '80s in scrap yards.....

myk

If they had destroyed only one it still would've been too much, IMO...

Ghoste

Cooter

Quote from: UH60L on August 20, 2012, 01:03:43 PM
Less than .1 percent of all '68 and '69 chargers were used/destroyed by the DOH tv show.  Thousands were destroyed in the '80s in scrap yards.....
Exactly, Amen. Folks make comments like these because of the same reason I hate Hemi cars. You roll up in your fully restored, Hemi Orange Sec. Gen. Charger looking for a few responses from the croud on how well you did on your restoration.....Only to have the public ask "When are you gonna put on the "01" and "flag"? That's gotta hurt just a little bit.

I wonder why isn't anybody complaining about F&F destroying Chargers, or The movie Bullitt?(Clearly, there were more than one destroyed there) How bout the numerous TV shows that destroyed sec. Gens? How bout as mentioned, all the drunk drivers, or scrap yards? Shouldn't even just ONE Charger destroyed by the crusher too many? I mean, this should be something you can't justify with a percentage, as the percentage is ALOT higher with this than with the show. No, let's call it what it is, these threads always turn into bashing the Dukes out of some sort of jealousy over a bunch of cars they couldn't/wouldn't save anyway...

With this said, I wonder how many would sit right here and complain about the price of said second gen. Charger if offered here BEFORE going to DOH to be "Destroyed"?? Look how many sold their GL's to the movie producers? I mean, they didn't just sh*t 'em out of thin air....Wanna blame someone for "Detroying" Chargers, blame the ones that sold  that "Abortion" of a movie, their rides. Nevermind the cars were destroyed, think of the incorrect RWL tires, and letting mistakes that hardly paid omage to the original...

Let's say you could turn back time and given what resources you had back in 1978, could/would you be able to save 'em all? If the answer is no, then you have no grounds to complain IMO. as the Dukes "Saved" way more cars than they destroyed. How many sec. gens are sitting in yards as "Ornaments" and NOT being sent to the crusher becasue it's orange and an "01" is on the doors? How many Rusty POS Sec. gens are painted say "Blue" and sitting in front yards?

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Actually people lament those movies destroying them as well.  I think if those movies had destroyed the same number of Chargers or they started recreating the carnage for groups of willing ticket holders you would see the outcry rise to the same level as DOH.

And there is always grounds to complain about things you don't like.  Just because you can't stop something that is wrong, it doesn't mean you should just shut up, sit back and allow it.  I can't stop every rape but I would never condone it.  If I don't personally feel that destroying a classic Charger (or any classic car) for the sake of amusement is a good thing then why should I pretend I support it through my silence?  I love the movie DMCL.  I hate that they wrecked some cool cars for it.  I am realisitic enough to understand that when it was made, they were just used cars.  Same for DOH.  I accept that it happened and the times were different.  It doesn't mean I think it was an awesome cool thing to do.  And if there were DMCL fests where they recreated the train collision, you have my word that I would bitch the loudest.  If DMCL destroyed as many Chargers as DOH, I can also tell you that I would complain about that too.