News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Crane roller rockers

Started by 70rr 69ch, August 19, 2012, 07:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70rr 69ch

Hi guys,I'm looking to swap in a used set or roller tip rockers in my 440 having trouble getting install instructions.I've never set ajestable rockes before,does anyone here know How to check pushrod length? Any help would be appreciated thanks. :shruggy:

Chryco Psycho

Ideally with the lifter on the back of the cam lobe [lowest point] you want to have approx 2 threads showing below the rocker arm .
The real question is is this a hyd or solid cam , both types you have to make sure the valve is closed & the lifter is on the back side of the lobe when adjusting . the easiest way to do this is to pull the dist cap turn the engine to TDC on the damper & see when it is pointed at #1 wire then rotate the engine 1/4 & follow the firing order . the better way to do this is to set the intake valve as the exhaust just starts to open & set the exhaust as the intake fully closes .
With hyd you need to have approx 3/4 of a turn of preload so you tighten to zero lash & then go another 3/4 turn .With a solid cam you need to set the lash , cam specs vary for this but you need to use a feeler gauge & set the clearance between the valve tip & rocker which can be .010 - .032 .

70rr 69ch

Thanks for the info,it's the 509 mopar cam(hyd).I'm got push rods that came of the same eng as the rockers.should these be the same length as my current rods?thanks again is crane out of business ? :cheers:

Chryco Psycho

It depends on the lifters used , if the pluger inside is at the same height as the one it came from the rods will be fine & you should be close enough to use them but check anyway .
Crane did go out of business but has reopened with less products available

firefighter3931

Frank, if those pushrods came from Rob's engine they will not work. The cam in his engine was a hydraulic roller so the pushrods will be too short for yours with the hyd flat tappet "509"  :yesnod:

You will need new pushrods to make the crane rockers work.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs