News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Front fender to nose cone gasket

Started by taxspeaker, August 15, 2012, 07:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxspeaker

When I bought my bird out of the museum two years ago it came with the nose cone to front fender gasket installed upside down. I finally decided I couldn't stand it anymore and a few weeks ago I loosened the nose cone bolts, pulled the latch tray and shield stuff and slid the nose cone forward the full 1 and 1/2 inches of movement available. I thought it would be a quick job to pull the gasket, turn it over and re-install. When I pulled the gasket off I found that whoever had put the gasket on upside down had used something to bend the front flanges on the front fenders down (looks like they used a vise grips) in a beat up wavy manner. Needless to say the gasket won't go on with this beaten in flange. Usually I can just let it sit for a while and come up with a solution.

After 3 weeks nothing is coming to mind. I don't want to heat it or pound on it and although I am a decent mechanic my knowledge of body work is below zero. I am scared to do anything now but I refuse to put it back together wrong.

Anybody got any ideas? This is causing me to miss all the summer events when for the 1st time evr I have time to do some.

Thanks for any help

moparstuart

a photo of the problem area  would really help
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Arnie Cunningham

Greetings,

I may be misunderstanding the situation but it sounds like you are putting the gasket on the fender?
Or is the fender just too bent to hold it in place?

Ken (Hemi tyme) may have some suggestions.
I will try to upload an image from the Special Parts and Maint Schedule.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

taxspeaker

Yes that is the rubber gasket, thanks Arnie. Here are 2 inside and 1 outside of fender pictures

62 Max

You can probably straighten it with either of these.

moparstuart

Quote from: 62 Max on August 15, 2012, 08:15:06 PM
You can probably straighten it with either of these.
i agree thats where i would start anyway   

Aero426

Exactly.  The duck bill vise grips are what you want.  They will straighten those flanges out enough to get the seal on the right way. 

taxspeaker

Thanks guys-local parts store purchase or specialty store?

nascarxx29

Maybe eastwood tools would them unique duck bill grips
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

moparstuart

Hemi_tyme

Quote from: taxspeaker on August 15, 2012, 06:20:16 PM
Yes that is the rubber gasket, thanks Arnie. Here are 2 inside and 1 outside of fender pictures

Don't straighten it yet! Look at my pictures first
Thinking the same as Brennan, the gasket looks like it was installed on the fender and not the nose cone. The front edge of the fenders and fender  extenions are rolled a little from the factory to help with the installation and support of the gasket and nose cone. When you install the gasket to the nose you will have to cut a V-notch out of the backside (thick part not thin side) of the gasket so it will fit the V were the top and sides of the nose meet. hope this helps if you have any question feel free to pm me you phone number. Ken

moparstuart

wow i didnt realize his picture was sideways  and that was the side of the fender

moparstuart

best picture i could find of mine   , couldnt find a picture from the outside

Hemi_tyme

Here's a couple pix of my white bird

FJ5WING

Thanks for posting those pics Ken!!!
My flanges are beat down a little and I always assumed it was from having the cone replaced in the early seventies.
wingless now, but still around.

taxspeaker

Wow, wow , wow. Thanks! Yes the old restorer put the gasket on the fender not the cone! I would have never thought of the cone, next stop is after work to try that.

Arnie Cunningham

I wondered about that.  Cool.  Hope it fits perfect now.  Thanks Ken for the input.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.