News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

bad Holly power valve cause backfiring?

Started by AmadeusCharger500, August 01, 2012, 03:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

Thats just one of my guesses. My 71 normally runs great but just recently it wouldnt fire up and as I was giving it some gas to start it actually backfired through the carb (what an excitement)
Its a 383 with a 770 holley street dominator.

Normally the car needs some gas to start so this was really strange. So I rechecked timing 15/35, rechecked vacuum 17g and reset the idle mixture screws. The car runs great but now after about 10 times driving it and getting it started in a different way (give it no gas till it fires) it still backfires about half the time.

Any help would be funktastic.

mauve66

a backfire can blowout a power valve unless you have the kit in it, i don't know about causing a backfire..........
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

471_Magnum

Back fires are caused buy ignition issues most of the time. Check your plug wires. Make sure 5&7 aren't crossed. etc.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

471_Magnum

And make sure your advance mechanism isn't hanging up in the distributor.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

areibel

Quote from: mauve66 on August 01, 2012, 06:31:47 PM
a backfire can blowout a power valve unless you have the kit in it, i don't know about causing a backfire..........
:iagree:

Been there, done that- it didn't even take much of a pop to blow it out, I'd check it.

And most of the backfiring problems I've had were ignition or timing related, from a coil going bad to a slipped timing chain.

firefighter3931

Once the PV is blown the engine will run very rich and the plugs will foul in short order....exhaust will stink of unburnt fuel.  :P

A very lean mixture can cause backfiring but as mentioned it's mostly a timing issue with the valves being open at the wrong time that causes the backfire.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

AmadeusCharger500

So I put this off till yesterday when I decided I'm just changing the power valve and see how that goes. Well as I'm draining the front bowl I see the vacuum cap on the advance line is totally cracked. So it gets me checking all the vacuum lines. Big leak on the break booster and another small crack in a cap on a vacuum tree on the intake.

So I changed power valve, fixed 3 vacuum leaks, and replaced the gas filter.

Wouldn't you know it the car starts right away now.
Heck I might even get better gas mileage as well as better response!

thanks all for your continued expert advice.

Heath

Paul G

Isn't old school great. No lean codes to chase down. The engine had to run so poorly the vacuum leaks actually found you.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#