News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rebuild costs engine....

Started by 1974dodgecharger, August 05, 2012, 12:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lasvegas69charg

I just got a quote from a shop...parts(eldbrock heads/intake, quick fuel carb, ready to run msd, cam, roller rockers, oil pan, pistons and all the misc parts) came up to $5k and machine work came to $2k totaling $7k.  My engine is a 383 and I told him I would like to see around 450ish hp. This also included dyno time.  Hope this helps...
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

tsmithae

I did the tear-down and rebuild myself and had the machine shop tank, clean, and bore the block to .040 over, do a valve job, and do a complete inspection and cleaning of all components and my total was around 2500-3000 when all was said and done (no, this didn't include carb, headers, etc, just pistons, rings, gaskets, valves, springs, cam, bearings....).
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

randy73

National cylinder head rebuilder's will rebuild an engine for $1700(you deliver engine), they will hone, hot tank it and search for cracks. They will put on any part you bring to them, but it must be in a ready to install state. I used them for my vette and have no complaints, dropped off the engine and picked it up about 11-12 days later, they bored it .30 over and they swapped my heads and got it ready to install, they even marked TDC and set the engine to TDC (LT1 does not have a TDC mark) and best of all they painted the engine, wasn't great but it was a DD, so I did not care.

They are all over the place, so chances are they are near you. Also, for porting, blue printing and them balancing your crank and stuff, they charge EXTRA. But head porting was pretty reasonable for $400 and replacing several valves.