News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

how many of you have a 5.7 or 6.1 hemi in their 68-69 charger ?

Started by timebombkal, November 09, 2008, 10:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timebombkal

how many of you have a 5.7 or 6.1 hemi in their 68-69 charger ?

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

dodgey68

im gunna ask a dumb question, i know ya can  use a 5.7 hemi out of a ram, but are they the same engine as challenger or 300c 5.7 engine.... :shruggy: i wanted a 6.1 but over here in aus there out of my $$$,
a few 5.7 are floating around ,some  with harness and  but not ecu's, and one with a 6 speed auto
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

Rolling_Thunder

The truck / car engines are basically the same...    the difference is the front timing chain cover and front accessory drives...    the trucks accessories are taller and easier to swap IMO while the cars are lower and wider...     Also, the car vs. truck use different intake manifolds - the car intake manifold can not be swapped onto the truck engine because it will not clear the timing chain cover...        other than that a 5.7 is a 5.7...   

You can order a complete stand alone wiring harness and PCM to run everything from hotwireauto (Tony Squire)
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

dodgey68

thank you, i heard on the grape vine there is a difference, i knew internally the same but didnt know what bolt on styff was different, thought they would use the same intake, but i was wrong,
thats what i wanted to know :2thumbs:

this stand alone wiring harness, is this made to suit a gen2 hemi into a charger??
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

magnumminded

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on July 20, 2012, 12:00:18 PM
The truck / car engines are basically the same...    the difference is the front timing chain cover and front accessory drives...    the trucks accessories are taller and easier to swap IMO while the cars are lower and wider...     Also, the car vs. truck use different intake manifolds - the car intake manifold can not be swapped onto the truck engine because it will not clear the timing chain cover...        other than that a 5.7 is a 5.7...   

You can order a complete stand alone wiring harness and PCM to run everything from hotwireauto (Tony Squire)

Rolling Thunder, did you have the same issue as the guy with the Daytona clone that switched out his 440 for a 5.7L Hemi. I remember he was having to modify the 5.7 parts that should of worked right off the bat from what I can remember?

autodynamics

The 6.1 is the way to go
These cars are heavy and need the torque

six-tee-nine

Then can anyone tell me why going trough the hassle of a 6.1 if you can have over 8.0Litres with a stroked 440?
Cant imagine a fuel injected 6.1 pushing out more torque than a bigger engine with a carb. Fuel injection eats low end torque....

I can understand the factor to have something different and even more reliable with it even being more economical, bit still if you want torque you cant beat a ancient big block.....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

autodynamics

These motor can be built to produce big numbers and big torque
The 6.1 will idle an be economical
The old mills are good but this is a different approach to the situation

The old mills can make power pretty easy to do
Big cubes big power

Modern motors are small cubes big power
Plus reliability and no big cam that will fatigue you and exhaust drone

I have 12k on my 6.1
Road raced
1/4 mile ran it
And drove it around pocono raceway at 140mph

Mine was built to be driven and driven
Plus a/c pumps

Cooter

Quote from: six-tee-nine on August 11, 2012, 01:50:14 PM
Then can anyone tell me why going trough the hassle of a 6.1 if you can have over 8.0Litres with a stroked 440?
Cant imagine a fuel injected 6.1 pushing out more torque than a bigger engine with a carb. Fuel injection eats low end torque....

I can understand the factor to have something different and even more reliable with it even being more economical, bit still if you want torque you cant beat a ancient big block.....
:2thumbs:Amen....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

AmadeusCharger500

I'm planning on a truck engine in my newest project (73 charger)

5.7 not sufficient?