News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

valley pan sealant

Started by Brightyellow69rtse, August 10, 2012, 04:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brightyellow69rtse

i gotta reseal my valley pan. i have some blue rtv onhand as well as the silicone called "the right stuff"  should i use that or get some of the high temp copper stuff?

70sixpkrt

I just did this 2 months ago. I used Halomar around the ports and Hight Temp black on the rails.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

bakerhillpins

Got the same question..  I recall reading that the copper was the stuff to use but can't duplicate that search.  :popcrn:

Quote from: 70sixpkrt on August 10, 2012, 05:34:58 PM
I just did this 2 months ago. I used Halomar around the ports and Hight Temp black on the rails.

Excuse the noob here... The rails?
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

c00nhunterjoe

The best silicone ever invented is ford 7.3 diesel silicone. Its more expensive but it is the best stuff. Oil, gas, diesel fuel, nothing bothers it. It seals the 7.3 liter without the use of gaskets. I use it on everything and have never had a leak.

I think the rail is the front and rear rail of the block between the heads

A383Wing

we use the "Right Stuff" at work...and that's what i used on my pan rails

Bryan

Cooter

Quote from: bakerhillpins on August 10, 2012, 05:50:00 PM
Got the same question..  I recall reading that the copper was the stuff to use but can't duplicate that search.  :popcrn:

Quote from: 70sixpkrt on August 10, 2012, 05:34:58 PM

The ends where the metal strips with the three bolts go.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Cooter on August 10, 2012, 08:35:03 PM
Quote from: bakerhillpins on August 10, 2012, 05:50:00 PM

The ends where the metal strips with the three bolts go.
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 10, 2012, 07:39:58 PM
I think the rail is the front and rear rail of the block between the heads

:2thumbs:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

71bee

I always use the black stuff that comes with the pan (Fel-pro). never had a leaking issue. are you re-using your existing valley pan?

Dino

Permatex ultra copper.  Sealed mine up perfectly.  Put a thin bead on each side of the pan and around all bolt holes with an extra dab in the corners.  If you have a 440 you'll have the added bonus that the color matches the block real nice.   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

BBKNARF

I've tryed alot of types of silicone there all pretty good with very little issues but I do find that the Right Stuff is great with no issues.
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.