News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

gas gauge way off

Started by Highbanked Hauler, September 03, 2012, 02:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

I dumped the tank to get rid of the old gas so with an empty tank I put in 5 gal. and the gauge never moved so I put in another 5 and the gauge went to just a hair line over quarter full. Since I have a tank half full I am thinking about pulling the sender unit and bending the float down till the gauge reads just under half full. does this sound feasible ??  :shruggy:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

I have read this can be done with the tank still in place. I keep "testing" mine, looking for empty. I think it is actually accurate  :shruggy:

John_Kunkel

Before you go bending the float wire, be sure the gauge reads full with the float topped out...this can be done outside the tank.

Also, the float might be full or partially full of gas...can't be checked without removing the sender.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 03, 2012, 04:08:53 PM

Before you go bending the float wire, be sure the gauge reads full with the float topped out...this can be done outside the tank.

Also, the float might be full or partially full of gas...can't be checked without removing the sender.

to check the gauge for full just pull the wire off the sender. correct???
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

doctor4766

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 03, 2012, 04:08:53 PM

My "float" had a pin hole in it and that made it more of a "sink"
Replaced it with a plastic float and the gauge was alot more accurate
Gotta love a '69

Highbanked Hauler

its very possible it could be the float. Its a S.S. unit from some vender. My gauge never read more than 3/4 full when the car was new but it was close on the bottom end as I put 18 gal. in it a few times.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

doctor4766

Still better than showing more than you actually have though......
Gotta love a '69

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: doctor4766 on September 03, 2012, 04:47:45 PM
Still better than showing more than you actually have though......

yep thats for sure, worst case is figure gallonage times distance.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

elacruze

I went the other way. I don't care how long it takes for my gauge to come off full, but I care a LOT that it only reads empty when it's empty...so I set mine with the tank in the car and no gas in it. I bent the float until with tank empty it just barely moved the gauge, then bent it a tiny bit back to get it as close to E as possible. So now I use 1/4 tank before it comes off F, but I can be assured that when it says E it means it.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

gibber

You can check that its not the gauge itself by getting a 10 ohm resistor from Radio Shack and disconnecting the sender wire from the sending unit, put the 10 ohm resistor in the line, and them ground it to the frame someplace. Full, the gauge requires 10 ohms resistance, 23 ohms for 1/2 tank, and 73 ohms empty.

Mark
www.thegaugedoc.com
Mark Gibson
1966 and 67 Charger, 1968 D200 Pickup
Mopar Gauge Troubles? I can help!
www.thegaugedoc.com

poppa

Isn't there a "check" you can do? My gauge is off too. I thought a few years ago (when I had problems with it) you could take the wire off the tank sender and put it to ground and turn on the key ????
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

oldcarnut

A little info from my experience with something similar.  Just have to scroll to the relevant parts
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,57376.0.html

TXcharger70

We I got tired of buying floats cause I would try to adjust to read empty and ruined two of them 3rd one was reading empty at half tank so I left it at that as long as I know that's all that matters. I look at it as an Anti-theft