News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

voltage regulator over charging battery

Started by 440charger68, March 04, 2012, 07:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

440charger68

I have a 1970 dodge challenger an the voltage runs at about 18 volts which i know is not good haha. The voltage regulator is brand new an has a good ground, but it is not regulating anything i have pulled the connection on the regulator when the car was running an it still was running the same voltage. So i have no idea of what it could be maybe its my alt i have no clue. Thanks Kyle
life's a garden, dig it.

Plumcrazy

The green wire between the alternator and regulator may be shorted to ground or the problem is in the alternator.

Unplug the green field wire from the alternator and check the voltage again.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

68neverlate

Quote from: 440charger68 on March 04, 2012, 07:30:04 PM
I have a 1970 dodge challenger an the voltage runs at about 18 volts which i know is not good haha. The voltage regulator is brand new an has a good ground, but it is not regulating anything i have pulled the connection on the regulator when the car was running an it still was running the same voltage. So i have no idea of what it could be maybe its my alt i have no clue. Thanks Kyle

Could be a few things... answers to these should help narrow it down:

1)  Stock alternator and regulator (ie: two field alternator and electronic two pronged "triangle plug" regulator)?
2)  Stock wiring?
3)  How old is the alternator?
4)  With engine off, disconnect the green and blue field wires from the field terminals at the alternator.  With a voltmeter, perform a separate continuity check on each field terminal on the alternator to ground.  Neither should give you a continuity reading.     

I suspect your alternator may have a short to ground which would take the voltage regulator out of the equation in terms of controlling voltage output on the alternator.  The result would be an alternator making max power all the time. 

I would recommend not running your car until you get this fixed... you can easily turn your engine and/or passenger compartments into blast furnaces.    :o    Factory wiring was not designed to carry that kind of output for sustained periods...   :'(

440charger68

Yeah it sounds like its the ground to the alternator, i'm gonna give it a try. I have another question the alternator on my 70 is a single field, is it suppose to be dual field? I really appreciate all the help Thanks Kyle.
life's a garden, dig it.

Plumcrazy

Quote from: 440charger68 on March 06, 2012, 11:11:27 AM
Yeah it sounds like its the ground to the alternator, i'm gonna give it a try. I have another question the alternator on my 70 is a single field, is it suppose to be dual field? I really appreciate all the help Thanks Kyle.

That changes everything.  That's the wrong alternator

myk

How the heck did a single field wind up on a '70? 

Finn

My 70 challenger has the same problem with all new wiring and a new alternator.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

68neverlate

Yup, absolutely... it should be a dual field alternator.  Single fields have the other end of the field terminal automatically going to ground, so it will do exactly what you're seeing, give you unregulated, maximum power.

Time to make a trip to the parts store...   :yesnod: 

Plumcrazy

You need what's called an isolated field alternator.

68charger440

Did you get this figured out?  I have the same problem on my 68, only I had also upgraded my charging system to a 70 style dual field alternator and regulator setup.  I'm still looking for answers.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

440charger68

Quote from: 68charger440 on August 10, 2012, 08:30:34 AM
Did you get this figured out?  I have the same problem on my 68, only I had also upgraded my charging system to a 70 style dual field alternator and regulator setup.  I'm still looking for answers.
I have a 68 also switched it to dual field, my old one was 50 amp i believe and the dual field i bought was 60 or 70amp but anyways i had to ground the prong for the other field on the alternator for it to work. Also went through two voltage regulators until i found one that worked. Havent had a problem since  :yesnod:
life's a garden, dig it.

68charger440

Quote from: 440charger68 on August 10, 2012, 10:52:19 AM
Quote from: 68charger440 on August 10, 2012, 08:30:34 AM
I have a 68 also switched it to dual field, my old one was 50 amp i believe and the dual field i bought was 60 or 70amp but anyways i had to ground the prong for the other field on the alternator for it to work. Also went through two voltage regulators until i found one that worked. Havent had a problem since  :yesnod:
Thanks... Did you also change the regulator to the 70's style transistor type or did you stick with the original 68 points type of regulator?
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

440charger68

i got my regulator from autozone, and its the same regulator thats in my 70 challenger so im not really sure  :shruggy:
life's a garden, dig it.

Nacho-RT74

on "dual field/pronged" alts, both brushes are isolated... this is because these will get constant positive from Ign Key ( blue wire ), and regulated ground or negative from regulator ( green wire ) hence the reason why both needs to be isolated.

on earliers setups with one prong alts, the constant source is negative, thats why one of the brushes is grounded to chassis. The existant prong gets regulated positive from regulator through the green wire

in both cases the regulated source goes through the green wire, earlies positive with mech regs, lates negative with elect regs
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html