News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will 66 Poly engine run with later model cam?

Started by Dodgerdallas, August 12, 2012, 04:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgerdallas

I just replaced my worn cam in my 66 with a new one,one lobe was completely rounded off and at least 2 more were close.After going through a cam changeover in a 110 degree garage the dam thing runs worse than before and after a trip around the block it wont even start.It runs shaky like there's a major vacuum leak but I cant detect any,while the timing cover was off I made sure everything was hitting perfect-when 2 dots met the rotor was hitting # 6 and when cam dot was at 12:00 rotor was at #1.Ive never set mech lifter valves before but I was told when both lifters were down,tighten adjuster to where rocker touches the valve and stop-that's zero lash.Did them all while the intake was off so I could see lifters but I can hear them tapping.Is it possible I have the wrong cam? Will my 66 318 even run w a later model cam?Its got to be the top end or the carb,does anyone have maybe a list of things I can check for before I have to tow it to a garage?
This is gonna be cheap and easy......

Chryco Psycho

No a Poly will not run with an LA cam , the intake & ex valves are arranged differently
is it a solid cam or hyd , hyd should have 1/2 - 3/4 turn of preload , solid should have .010 - .030 lash depending on mfg of the cam

Dodgerdallas

Lash meaning w a feeler guage? sorry never dont solid lifts youll have to explain it like I was 5 years old-any suggestions on the way its running?

Cooter

Better get that thing to someone who knows what they are doing on poly's before you bend all the valves there Dodger. That tapping might even be the vales hitting the pistons. Should be Some lash, not zero.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Chryco Psycho

Using the firing order when both valves are closed at TDC you can find firing #1 then turn the damper 1/4 turn to the next cylinder in order to set the next valves , set both valves for each cylinder , I would recommend .010 for intake using a feeler gauge & .020 for exhaust . It is probably running badly because the valves cannot close at all . Take your time working through this

A383Wing

did you change the adjusters after you installed new cam? Meaning did you adjust the valves after cam change?

I bet there are more than one that's too tight

Bryan

Dodgerdallas

The adjusters were taken out and cleaned and reinstalled in the same holes and I rotated and adjusted each cyl w the intake off so I could see the lifters were both down=I just set them all at zero as I was told by 2 shop mechanics and an old chiltons manual-

Dodgerdallas

Chryco,so I place a feeler guage between rocker and valve and tighten to specs you recommended,Ive never done solid lift before

Chryco Psycho

Dodgerdallas

Ok I'll try it-next week-I'm burn out on it right now,thanks

Chryco Psycho

turn the engine over to TDC & pull the dist cap & you can tell if you are 1 or 6 & work through the firing order from there