News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

engine and trans stand/dolly

Started by mauve66, August 11, 2012, 07:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauve66

i've found engine stands/dolly for storage with and without wheels but can't find anything for transmissions or engine /trans combos so i don't have to take them apart in the first place

any options??

i guess i could just use an engine stand (that has the rotating ability for assembly) for both of them but was hoping for one item instead of taking up room with 2 different assemblies

thanks
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Troy

I'm cheap so I bought some 1,000 pound mover's dollies from Harbor Freight (on sale for $7.99) and a couple 2x4s and and made my own. I only did the engines as I wanted to roll them under my shelves but they would be easy to extend out under the transmission. I apparently don't have any pictures online so I'll have to wait until I get home.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

I think most (all?) of the stands I've seen that hold engine and trans were home made.

ITSA426

Year One has one, but it's about $500 and probably another thousand dollars to ship it. 

Ghoste

Even just the purchase price hurts, I suppose thats why everyone makes their own.

John_Kunkel

If you can find an old junky C-body with the removable front frame, the front frames make ideal storage/test stands and they have wheels at one end.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

mauve66

Quote from: Troy on August 13, 2012, 09:34:56 AM
I'm cheap so I bought some 1,000 pound mover's dollies from Harbor Freight (on sale for $7.99) and a couple 2x4s and and made my own. I only did the engines as I wanted to roll them under my shelves but they would be easy to extend out under the transmission. I apparently don't have any pictures online so I'll have to wait until I get home.

Troy

just the flat carpeted ones i've seen people move china cabinets on??  hmmmmmmm.............
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

mauve66

i found 4, some seem longer than the others so i'll have to do a little measuring

so what's the weight of a 440, 727 AND GV overdrive all hooked together??

i guess since i'll take them apart to get them out it would be a waste to hook them back together
and these dollies would take up less space than one of those 3-4 legged engine stands so having 2 of them wouldn't be so bad

Troy, your a genius :cheers:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=movers+dollies
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Troy

Yes, those. I buy the short ones as even the long ones aren't long enough. They are regularly on sale for $7.99 - which is about half the price of the casters alone. IMPORTANT: test them in the store to make sure the wheels roll smoothly and the casters spin easily because once you drop 500-700 pounds on them a stuck wheel sucks big time! Remove the carpet, cut them in half (but leave the original sides), and extend the sides with 2x4s in the length you want. I add a few extra scraps of 2x4 so that they hit the cast outcroppings on the block and to clear the oil pan and filter. I don't bother bolting them down as the weight leaves an imprint in the wood and keeps the dolly from sliding out from underneath.

For the transmissions I just used 2x6s to make a flat platform on top of two dollies. I can fit four transmissions on my "cart" and it still fits under my shelf.

There's no reason you couldn't make something like my engine cart and add a connector to another dolly out back with a spot to attach (or drop in) the transmission mount. You probably really wouldn't even need a connector but it would make it easier to maneuver. I originally used the front clip (with frame rails) from a 69 Coronet but it took up way too much space!

Troy

Ghoste

Troy, you seem to have a lot of blue valve covers but all different colored blocks.

Troy

Quote from: Ghoste on August 14, 2012, 12:31:03 AM
Troy, you seem to have a lot of blue valve covers but all different colored blocks.
That's because people tend to strip off all the expensive parts (like 68-69 440 and 70 340 valve covers, HP manifolds, and 402 oil pans) before they'll sell you an engine. I bet all those valve covers are from mid-70s motor homes or something.

Troy